Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Luther

Downloads
    Uploads

Luther

Discussion thread for Luther. If you would like to add a comment, click the Post Reply button.

Downloads
    Uploads
    We really need two names for characters. This fellow needs a last name (or first name if you prefer).

Downloads
    Uploads
    yup, when i first saw this thread i thought it is some brecht preacher, not a rogue working for the vos tsor.( i must say i mean no disrespect for any lutheran or protestant, in fact Martin Luther is one of my favorite characters in history )

Special Guest (Donor)
    Downloads
    Uploads
    The same stuff goes for Yuri the Elder and Yuri the Younger, father and son.

The idea was, actually, to first write what can be written from the facts and then to do some fan fiction workout. Meanwhile, I'm dedicating some of my background brain processor to figuring out what is Tsor Ivan Polavich like, the Melyy's leader (all these are from Melyy), and some history on him. He's the most important among the named ones.
    Rey M. - court wizard of Tuarhievel

Downloads
    Uploads
    The two yuri's have elder and younger which function as last names, so that we don't have a page named "Yuri". Even if they had last names (as father and son) you would need elder and younger anyway, unless you named them both using patrinyms.

The problem is the page name is a single word, and we're trying to avoid single name persons unless they are unique. Among other things, it makes it impossible to use the search engine for the term Luther, since all results will go to this NPC's page rather than showing all the different people with Luther as a name. This tends to preclude using that name again.

Since I'm talking about names:
    "Hook River guild" is a troublesome name. If guild is just a word to distinguish it from the flowing body of water known as the Hook River, then the term "guild" should be a paranthetical, giving you Hook River (guild). I think it would just be much easier to make the term "guild" a proper part of the name of the guild, giving you Hook River Guild. It doesn't require a paranthetical, and doesn't look like a mistake.

Regardless, a page for the flowing body of water known as the Hook River should be created so that a see also note can be attached.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I think that you ( kgauck ) overlooked one thing, Ray is not a native English speaker( as many other people on this site) and the orthography of his language is different then English orthography, but it is good that you advised him, so wee all can learn new thing every day.
    I think it is great that someone finally started to work something in Vosgaard, or any other part of Cerilia aside from Anuir Ray if you need anything just ask.

Special Guest (Donor)
    Downloads
    Uploads
    This is in a process of making. Every objection and help are welcome.

First part was to write some facts, then to form fiction around the known facts. I need to see what is linked to what before filling it in. Already there might be some info elsewhere, so I don't want to write new things and then delete them.

And yes, I would like Yuri and Yuri to have a last name, although you can tell the difference the way it is.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by cccpxepoj View Post
    I think that you ( kgauck ) overlooked one thing, Ray is not a native English speaker( as many other people on this site) and the orthography of his language is different then English orthography, but it is good that you advised him, so wee all can learn new thing every day.
    I think it is great that someone finally started to work something in Vosgaard, or any other part of Cerilia aside from Anuir Ray if you need anything just ask.
    The English of the construction is perfectly fine. There are no language issues I am aware of. The issue is that of pages are named in the wiki. There are certain formats that convey information and make the wiki more useful. So one could have a page called Hook River (guild) or Hook River/guild, but these convey different information as wiki names. One suggests there are several things called Hook River and one of them is a guild the other suggests there is a think called Hook River and part of it is a guild.

Its more a question of becoming familiar with the conventions already in use.

Quote Originally Posted by Rey View Post
    This is in a process of making. Every objection and help are welcome.

First part was to write some facts, then to form fiction around the known facts. I need to see what is linked to what before filling it in. Already there might be some info elsewhere, so I don't want to write new things and then delete them.

And yes, I would like Yuri and Yuri to have a last name, although you can tell the difference the way it is.
    I understand you want to start with what is known. That is not the issue. The issue at hand is that there is a page created with a single name on it. So while you didn't want to write a new name and then delete it, instead we have a single name that has to be moved to a page with a first and a last name. Its the same as deleting the wrong name.

We can't just add a last name to Luther when we decide there is no canon last name, we have to create a new name page for him, and if the search function is going to work for the name Luther, we need to delete any page called Luther.

Now do you see the problem? its not a character without a last name, its a page with a single name. This is why Yuri is not an issue. Both Yuri's have three words to name their pages. That's all we need. Something along side the name to distinguish him from others with the same name. It could be a first name, a last name, a sobriquet, a nickname, a profession, anything except a single name.

Special Guest (Donor)
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Relax, K. I understand. It will be taken care of.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Groan, I should have thought to mention the page redirect and relocation issue, I got it wrong all the time when I first started - I'd get typo's and everything in the page and make a terrible mess.

Thread Information