Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: New 4E Races

Special Guest (Donor)
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Rey View Post
    It's absurd to calculate the average age of players in WoW and BR since it has nothing to do with it.
    It's the quantity of the people that counts. Birthright community has several thousand members, count how many of them are active. Now compare it to WoW.
    You miss the point too: age has to do if you talk about kids and mature as quoted. Quantity is another factor but it's not related to the original post or the answer.

I've received my 4e books few days ago, couldn't help it not to see some characters resemble those found in WoW. Pictures in PHB or DMG with monsters wielding the swords that don't look anything like the swords, they look like some horrid crossbreeds between swords and chunks of metal twisted and banded in every way to make them scarier. Monsters in MM are from the worst nightmares of nine hells. Even wolves and rats have bloody spikes on them cause they'd be like cute little puppies and hamsters compared to the others.
    Are you saying that exagerated weapons, armors and monsters, and things like that, come from WoW?

Special Guest (Donor)
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Vicente View Post
    You miss the point too: age has to do if you talk about kids and mature as quoted. Quantity is another factor but it's not related to the original post or the answer.
    I've missed the point solely because the intended statement has been misinterpreted. I've concentrated on another issue.

Games have never been considered 'mature'. There is a distinction between children games and adult games, but some people would never admit it. Shadowmoon probably meant that BR should stay true to its roots and not to bend to any of this new poofy smoofy stuff. At least to some degree because a game, in the end, has to evolve and improve.

Are you saying that exagerated weapons, armors and monsters, and things like that, come from WoW?
    No. You've missed the point. I said that pictures of some characters presented in the books reminded me of WoW. Full stop.
    My mistake, I didn't separate the sentences into different paragraphs.
    Rey M. - court wizard of Tuarhievel

Downloads
    Uploads
    I agree with Gary and his assessment of trying to use a dragon-based race as a "common" race in BR.

As far as tieflings go - that is difficult. IMO making them decendents of awnies is wrong. There are some Awnies that have "spawn" but that is no where the same thing. Awnies are supposed to be unique and have little in common (physically), even though there is an underlying similarity of "evil and/or chaos" that makes them similar. But still, not enough physical similarities to make them a race. Well, not in my opinion.
    Duane Eggert

Downloads
    Uploads
    Games have never been considered 'mature'. There is a distinction between children games and adult games, but some people would never admit it. Shadowmoon probably meant that BR should stay true to its roots and not to bend to any of this new poofy smoofy stuff. At least to some degree because a game, in the end, has to evolve and improve.
    True...

I am mostly Simulationist DM/Player, and since 4E is ridiculously simplified and aimed for sparkly fantasy hack and slash, I have no use for it. And when WotC starts trashing previous editions like "grappling the troll" crap I get annoyed, and then I get in 4E retarded idea of "who needs priests anyway, I don't want no DOWNTIME, lets just slaughter and loot, we can all heal without pots etc...".

Hah, so You gritty arcanophobic warrior are grappling a troll? Ahem You sound desperate enough. Or You gritty arcanophobic warrior is activating healing surge, to regenerate in few seconds. Sounds kiddie online gamish enough...

Quote Originally Posted by irdeggman View Post
    As far as tieflings go - that is difficult. IMO making them decendents of awnies is wrong. There are some Awnies that have "spawn" but that is no where the same thing. Awnies are supposed to be unique and have little in common (physically), even though there is an underlying similarity of "evil and/or chaos" that makes them similar. But still, not enough physical similarities to make them a race. Well, not in my opinion.
    Awnshegh offsprings will hold no resemblance whatsoever, if Awnies mates their offspring will have random qualities/flaws depending on their bloodform development, as we seen from Iron Throne and Blood Enemies... So they will be minor Awnies as well...
    "If the wizards and students who lived here centuries ago had practiced control - in their spellcasting and in their dealings with the politics of the empire - you would be studying in a tall tower made by the best dwarf stone masons, not in an old military barracks."
    Applied Thaumaturgy Lector of the Royal College of Sorcery to new generation of students.

Special Guest (Donor)
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I've missed the point solely because the intended statement has been misinterpreted. I've concentrated on another issue.

Child or adult games has little to do with adding poofy smoofy stuff to Birthright (something I wouldn't like either). But the "tiefling/dragonborn are for WoW kids" makes no sense, it just seems another random bash to DnD 4e - WoW without any solid argument behind it.

There are much better examples for the DnD-MMORPG relations than that one (Eladrin/Elf are a better point if you want to say DnD has sold itself to mass-consumer tastes).

Ehrshegh of Spelling Thelandrin's Avatar
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Let's not discuss the emotional or intellectual development of 4th Edition, World of Warcraft or their players in a thread which is only vaguely related to the first and not at all to the second or third.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Child or adult games has little to do with adding poofy smoofy stuff to Birthright (something I wouldn't like either). But the "tiefling/dragonborn are for WoW kids" makes no sense, it just seems another random bash to DnD 4e - WoW without any solid argument behind it.

There are much better examples for the DnD-MMORPG relations than that one (Eladrin/Elf are a better point if you want to say DnD has sold itself to mass-consumer tastes).
    Solid argument?

Just that 4E game system is pen & paper version of action RPG. So it is a valid argument to compare 4E to WoW.

And what solid argument You have to see Dragonborn and Tieflings or Eldarin as well; as core Birthright races? They never existed in 2ed as core races, let alone in Birthright. And still You would put em in setting where 99% of the world would run screaming and preaching doomsday if they encountered em in any settlement... I am curious, what solid arguments for implementation of those "uber-kewl buffy-complex" races You have?

For fantasy Muppet show, and kids bedtime faerie-tale You have Forgotten Realms, Birthright really have no place for any of those...
    Last edited by ShadowMoon; 06-24-2008 at 06:20 PM.
    "If the wizards and students who lived here centuries ago had practiced control - in their spellcasting and in their dealings with the politics of the empire - you would be studying in a tall tower made by the best dwarf stone masons, not in an old military barracks."
    Applied Thaumaturgy Lector of the Royal College of Sorcery to new generation of students.

Thread Information