Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Downloads
    Uploads

Blood Skull Barony

Discussion thread for Blood Skull Barony. If you would like to add a comment, click the Post Reply button.

Downloads
    Uploads
    The Rjurik Highlands says there are minotaurs in the Blood Skull Barony. I never used minotaurs in BR (not to say they aren't in the Maze or other places) and have not mentioned them yet in realm descriptions. I rather think they were thrown in there and don't really belong. We have minotaur NPC's decribed, no images of minotaurs in a Blood Skull context, or even any named minotaurs. They aren't Celtic or Viking, and we do have mention of fhoimoriens, a celtic giant. I think we're fine with orogs, goblins, fhoimorien, and "others" by which I intend ogres, giants, and trolls in small numbers. If these three races aren't enough, we could elevate trolls, which are much more Norse than minotaurs.

Anyone dedicated to minotaurs willing to pitch for their inclusion?

Special Guest (Donor)
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Minotaurs sound good. Especially in PS of Stjordvik where they rammed into Great Oak Wall. Gave me chills imagining it.
    Rey M. - court wizard of Tuarhievel

Downloads
    Uploads
    There is no Oak Wall. Please. A people who worship a forest god build a wooden wall around a kingdom? Is this a forest god who hates forests? Do a little math, this kind of project would deforest the kingdom in a few years. The labor requirements to upkeep this wall would be build-the-pyramids kind of labor. Ninja gnomes with lasers that shoot out of their eyes make more sense than the Oak Wall.

Special Guest (Donor)
    Downloads
    Uploads
    LoL.

It's a blessed monument for one nations survival. It was built from thick forest of tall oak trees and Stjordvik had to import mast timber for 100 years. They've only cut down half the forests in domain. And druids worked overtime to wash the dishes.
    Besides, it's fantasy. Like elven forest where you lose track of time if you're human. That's something I'd not buy.
    The wall was continually repaired and upgraded for centuries because its main portion was finished in -438 HC. And you can see it from the Moon.

Downloads
    Uploads
    If Erik allows this, he's a fraud, and the Rjurik people are frauds, and frankly the whole setting is a fraud. I don't forgive Doug Stewart for this. We put up with so much environmentalist "flavor" in this setting, to get this nonsense is worse than the Monkey King on steroids.

Quote Originally Posted by kgauck View Post
    There is no Oak Wall. Please. A people who worship a forest god build a wooden wall around a kingdom? Is this a forest god who hates forests? Do a little math, this kind of project would deforest the kingdom in a few years. The labor requirements to upkeep this wall would be build-the-pyramids kind of labor. Ninja gnomes with lasers that shoot out of their eyes make more sense than the Oak Wall.
    Well, the only provinces that show up as forests are Hollenvak and Saarskaep (and this is only partially forested.) There is even a mention that 'shipwrights were forced to import mast timbers for the next 100 years.) And when they speak of upkeep, 'the varied materials and methods employed through the Wall's history have made it appear much like a patchwork dam'.

It appears, based on the walls description, that they took inspiration from Hadrian's wall in England (122 AD.) That was a fairly large undertaking and consisted of stone, turf, and wooden structures depending on the area.

I assume the sponsor of the tribe would overlook or assist his chosen tribe through priests/ druids growing or accelerating growth of trees for this endeavor. Or, take a page from Hadrian and say the wall was named in honor of their god, had subtle use of Oak but resembled the construction of Hadrian's.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Its still a wall with no purpose, or a purpose better served at infinitely less cost by other means.

Downloads
    Uploads
    In a message dated 6/17/2008 10:06:58 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
    brnetboard@BIRTHRIGHT.NET writes:

Anyone dedicated to minotaurs willing to pitch for their inclusion?

Ghuralli might want to.

Lee.
    Last edited by Thelandrin; 06-18-2008 at 10:48 AM.

Special Guest (Donor)
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by kgauck View Post
    Stone has a longer shelf life than wood.
    That's why wood in the great oak wall is mixed with whole bunch of stuff and maintained, upgraded and fixed for centuries, where in dire need.
    I'm thinking, why didn't they burn the darn thing whole this time. It would've been a nice bonfire.

Quote Originally Posted by Cargaroth View Post
    As for the great oak wall, I prefer the idea that it might be something that Erik might have grown
    Erik the High Druid or Erik the god?
    If he did it as a High Druid, he must've lived for more than 500 years. As for the god, he became one about 450 years later.

"The regents have staffed, maintained, and upgraded the Great Oak Wall since its completion in -438 H.C."
    Tough feat, in any case.

Thread Information