Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Hogunmark

Downloads
    Uploads

Hogunmark

Discussion thread for Hogunmark. If you would like to add a comment, click the Post Reply button.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Hogunmark has 13 provinces, but only 6 jarldoms. Can someone please tell me who "controls" what in Hogunmark and how the Rjurik tribes fit with all of this. I am trying to work out some local politics for Valkheim, but I have realised that I don't know whether there is anymore a Jarl of Valkheim, nor whether he/she is a local or not.

Sorontar.

ps. just noticed the law holdings in Hogunmark are listed in the wiki as having different regents. Are these the jarls? Or are these just the chiefs of the tribes that "reside" there?
    Sorontar
    Information Communication ILLUMINATION!!

Downloads
    Uploads
    According to PS Hogunmark there are only 6 jarls who rule provinces, although the nomadic clans also have jarls. The other provinces are directly ruled by the queen.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Even where the queen rules directly there need to be a person in the place of the count to run things on a day to day basis, a steward, chancellor, sheriffs, bailiff, reeve, or some official.

We also need to attach last names to people, and in the case of the jarls, apparently first names as well.

The plots assume the death of the monarch, who is described as alive and well in other places in the text. This is a potential source of great confusion, since we who know the PS's are familiar with the unnecessary devise of assuming the regent is dead and your PC is their successor, but any reasonable person visiting without that benefit will wonder what is going on.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by kgauck View Post
    Even where the queen rules directly there need to be a person in the place of the count to run things on a day to day basis, a steward, chancellor, sheriffs, bailiff, reeve, or some official.
    Some of my confusion with the Rjurik realms lie in the interaction between the King/Queen and the Jarls. I assume that if your PC is in the King/Queen position you would want to create Vassels of the remaining Jarls. Asking them to contribute something to the welfare of the kingdom.

How much would that be anyway? I seem to remember something in the rules saying no more than 1 RP. What if that one point puts your PC over the maximum RP allowed per turn? Do you still give it to the PC?

Has anyone else turned Jarls into Vassels and what benefit did the PC get from this?

Downloads
    Uploads
    The jarls already are your vassals. Otherwise they'd have sovereign domains. Forcing them to pay tribute would be the kind of humiliation one might visit on a conquered people, not your own sworn oathmen.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by stv2brown1988 View Post
    Some of my confusion with the Rjurik realms lie in the interaction between the King/Queen and the Jarls. I assume that if your PC is in the King/Queen position you would want to create Vassels of the remaining Jarls. Asking them to contribute something to the welfare of the kingdom.

How much would that be anyway? I seem to remember something in the rules saying no more than 1 RP. What if that one point puts your PC over the maximum RP allowed per turn? Do you still give it to the PC?

Has anyone else turned Jarls into Vassels and what benefit did the PC get from this?
    From recollection RP from vassalage occurs after the bloodline cap comes in - so it can be used by a king with a low bloodline score to increase RP income via vassals - the capped vassal doesn't get to tithe for free.

'Honest' way to get jarls to contribute GB:

*Visit them to proclaim your affection for them - they of course host the court during your stay meaning that they pay for the food and entertainment.

*Give them the honour of sponsoring a company of men - preferably under church or crown command

*'Agree' that the crown should meet half the cost of an action in their lands as it will benefit both clan and crown.

*Ask them to lend men to some rebuilding / restoration works as charity to their fellows - they of course would not be so churlish as to charge the crown.

*speak of some problem or other that needs attention and bemoan the more serious threat that you need to deal with instead - hint hint

*lavish praise on them at some function and have a skald boast about how they will deal with some problem - soon enough either they do 'what is expected of them' or get labeled a coward.

etc.

In general the more cynical stuff should only be necessary in Anuire, Brechtur, Khinasi - the Rjurik are described as being very clannish and pulling together in the main so jarls should want to contribute - in exchange for the proper respect of course. The downside of getting any vassal to contribute is that they gain prestige and you risk losing it...

To me jarls are ready-made lieutenants, champions, etc. Most have minimal income, if they sponsor the 'summer festival of the folk' or some such then they've paid enough - mostly they should provide the odd unit of scouts and suchlike at most.

Special Guest (Donor)
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I've written most of that info on Hogunmark. I used the source from Highlands and PS.
    In PS it says that the queen Freila is gone, but I've put her in anyway. Someone has to be there instead, and for the time being, I didn't put any jarl, regent or PC. The situation is similar to one in Stjordvik where you could put Varri as king, but the PS assumes he abdicated in favor of PC or someone else.

About the jarls and tribes. There are settled tribes and nomadic tribes in Hogunmark. You get the picture, no permanent settlements - no jarldoms. And some of the provinces only serve for a short period of time to one or two nomadic tribes. There is no official info on what you ask, but if you want it, I can fill in the gaps. In fact, I have to fill in the gaps anyway, 'cause I never finished it.
    Rey M. - court wizard of Tuarhievel

Downloads
    Uploads
    The problem is that the PS is a printed document that is conventionally read from start to finsih, while the wiki is not. One can enter anywhere (even from off-site) and wander about from link to link. So dropping in references to the regent being dead (or missing or retired) needs to be contextualized every time is occurs. The ideal situation is to contain the information in its own section or page rather than drop it in without warning.

Downloads
    Uploads
    One of the reasons I asked the original questions is that according to the Varrig's story, Varrig of the Halskorrik tribe was made the Jarl of Valkheim long ago. Yet nowhere is it clear who holds that position now. If the Domain table from the wiki is correct, Valkheim's regent is the Queen. Therefore, there is no separate Jarl, just perhaps a local steward.

If this is correct, then I can see this "ruling from afar" issue playing into the sort of local squabbles I want to give to Valkheim.

Sorontar.

Thread Information