Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567
    Special Guest (Donor)
    Downloads
    Uploads
    The idea is not about isolation. Forum can be just fine, but a bit tougher to execute certain steps, and again, it could be just perfect for some other.
    Rey M. - court wizard of Tuarhievel

Downloads
    Uploads
    Both methods were actually done with relation to the BRCS.

The "playtest" version was done by a core group and sent out for comment.

There was a lot of grief and pretty much defamation and personal attacks being leveed at "us" when we didn't get the "product" out promptly.

When Chapter 1 and 2 were revised to become the sanctioned products they are now - pretty much the entire process was run by polls. I tried to keep things on topic and focused but there is only so much you can do. During that process there were a few people who pretty much insulted and dissed me all along the way too.

Again, there was a lot of criticizm over taking so long because of the polls. IIRC it took about 1 year and a half to get both chapters "finalized".

So either method has disadvantages and you can pretty much guarantee that there will be a faction that will diss whatever is being done.
    Duane Eggert

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by bbeau22 View Post
    I was looking rules and I thought up a new system that might work well in a 4th edition Birthright setting. If people seem even somewhat interested I can expand the idea.

4th edition has a pretty solid system of attack and defense. I was thinking we could apply this to a realm level for the success of actions. Here are my thoughts.

Each holding would have an attack and defense number.

Law (half bloodline score + Law holding + class modifier)
    Guild (half boodline score + Guild holding level + class modifier)
    Temple (half bloodline score + Temple holding level + class modifer)
    Source (half bloodline score + Source holding level + class modifer)
    Province (half bloodline score + Province level + half character level)

Defense of each holding would follow a similer pattern

Law (10 + half bloodline score + law holding + class modifier)
    - you can follow the pattern for the rest.

Certain classes are better prepared to defend certain holding types. If the class favors the holding type they get a +5 to both attack and defense. If they are neutral to the holding it is 0 modifier. Some classes are ill prepared to handle certain types of holdings and receive a -5 modifier.

Warrior - Favored - Law, Neutral - guild, No relation - Source, Temple
    Priest - Favored - Temple, Neutral - Law, No relation - Source, guild
    Rogue - Favored - Guild, Neutral - Law, No relation - Source Temple
    Wizard - Favored - Source, Neutral - nothing, No relation -Temple, Guild, Law

Many of the domain actions use attack and defense values for success.

Contest Holding - Holding attack vs. Holding defense
    Contest Trade route - Holding attack vs. guild defense
    Create Holding - Holding attack vs. Base DC
    Create Leyline - Source attack vs. Province Defense
    Create Trade Route - Guild attack vs. Base DC
    Espionage - Guild or holding attack vs. various defense
    Rule Holding - Hold Attack vs. Same holding defense
    Rule Province - Province Attack vs. Province defense

Regency battle - Once per month a regent can call a regency battle on one of their actions. One that single action they can spend regency to effect the outcome of the roll. Once declared any regent in the area can spend for or against the action. The regent can only focus all of his personal energy to one action. If the regent is doing an action that is effecting multiple provinces then he can choose one province to declare regency battle.

If a regent declares a regency battle against you ... this doesn't count against your decleration and you can spend freely against or for the other regent.

Each of the domain actions would cost a base amount of regency. This should be a static amount. Every time the regent wants to contest holding it will cost 5 regency.

Certainly a much different way to go about it. The numbers above aren't really balanced but wanted to give you a feel for what I was thinking.

-BB
    Your post gave me some ideas and I am thinking along the same line, but I am currently expanding on the thought that it might be nice to have various attacks and defences. My line of thought is still extremely crude, but I would like to share them in order to improve these thoughts. Attacks could rely on a) holding type and size b) the leader/agent type and experience and c) regency. There should also be three or four types of defence that these attacks can target, like in 4th:

-Loyalty (straightforward)
    -Fortification (of buildings and simple armed power)
    -security (how well one can defend against subterfuge.

The actual defence scores depend on holding type and level, special modifiers and regency.

So one might attack a holding by assassinating a key figure, which is a special attack available to a certain level and leader type (the Fox for example):

*Assassinate key figure: You make a guild attack vs the security of a holding.

Other examples:
    *Bribe: you make a guild, temple or law attack against loyalty

*Blackmail: you make a guild attack against loyalty

*Arrest: you make a guild attack vs fortification

*Reveal heresy in key figure: you make a temple attack vs security?

These attacks are now called temple/guild etc. but perhaps these attacks should only be based on the type of leader?

Because combat is so well balanced in 4th, we should perhaps leave that part alone and make separate leadership paths… one might think Fox and lion of Machiavelli, but perhaps we could have more… So even a 1st level fighter would be able to rule an empire as a 13th level fo?

just wanted to share my thoughts
    Last edited by Sir Tiamat; 08-28-2008 at 12:51 PM.

Thread Information