Downloads
    Uploads

Hello, and a question

Hello everyone, i just want to start of by saying that i am very new to the birthright world (bout 2 week now) since a cousin of mine introduced me to it, so i've been trying to find out as much information as possible it to get a feel for the setting, and i've found this site to be very helpful. I also would like to ask a question though for my own understanding. With the death of the last emperor of anuire his bloodline ended and its assumed his power was either absorbed by the gorgon or returned to the land. If it did return to the land then evenutally the land will choose a successor, if that does happen would this chosen person reistablish the roele bloodline or would this be a new bloodline all together, and even though he/she is the lands chosen successor does that mean the nobles have to accept it or can they resist and try to remain independent. I'd appreciate any clarification.

Downloads
    Uploads
    At 09:09 PM 7/2/2009, faultline wrote:
    Hello everyone, i just want to start of by saying that i am very new to the birthright world (bout 2 week now) since a cousin of mine introduced me to it, so i`ve been trying to find out as much information as possible it to get a feel for the setting, and i`ve found this site to be very helpful. I also would like to ask a question though for my own understanding. With the death of the last emperor of anuire his bloodline ended and its assumed his power was either absorbed by the gorgon or returned to the land. If it did return to the land then evenutally the land will choose a successor, if that does happen would this chosen person establish the roele bloodline or would this be a new bloodline all together, and even though he/she is the lands chosen successor does that mean the nobles have to accept it or can they resist and try to remain independent. I`d appreciate any clarification.

Hello back, and welcome.

That`s an interesting question and the short answer is: we can only speculate. There is no official stance on this issue in the canon, and not a lot to really indicate how it might go. Among the possibilities are those you described--Roele`s bloodline as it was or some new type. The existence of the Land`s Choice (which is basically a DM fiat kind of thing) really means it could go either any which way. Personally, I`d be inclined towards the former interpretation. After all, what`s the point in connecting something up to Roele`s bloodline unless it is somehow clearly identifiable as that original. Any variation from the original makes the claim dubious, even if it is a substantially similar--and powerful--new bloodline.

As for your second question, I`m not sure how you mean "accept it." That is, there are several aspects of that question that might come into play. Will they accept a new emperor at the domain level by supporting him with their holdings and provinces? Will they accept him on a political level by officially recognizing his right to rule at all? Will they fight for their own sovereignity and rebel entirely from any claims of Imperial allegiance? Regardless of which of those aspects we`re talking about, I think the answers would be pretty negative.

First, regarding nobles accepting the inheritor of Roele`s bloodline as a successor in the sense that any Liege/Vassal agreements might remain in effect, I don`t think many, if any, L/V relationships would continue from Michael Roele to some new emperor. The political relationships have transferred many times since the Empire existed under Roele, and the empire itself has receded from its heights. Many of the domains in the "modern" period of the BR setting didn`t exist under Roele. Some have died out and been replaced. Others have been transferred through family lines that may have some sort of connection to those that existed in the Empire, but the regents might have changed so dramatically that connecting them up to something that is several centuries in the past doesn`t seem very likely.

It`s also interesting to speculate about how many Anuireans would even accept such a leader. Anuire (and Cerilia as a whole) has been in conflict for quite a long time. Someone simply claiming a bloodline, even if it is legit, is probably not going to simply get everyone to bend a knee. Cerilian regents are, by the time of the setting, very fractious and independent. Claiming that a "new emperor" was some sort of imposter would be very easy to do, all other things being equal. Certain characters, like the Imperial Chamberlain, would probably go that way, but it`s hard to imagine Prince Avan or Archduke Boeruine simply bowing to a new, upstart leader. So the short answer is that certain Cerilian regents would likely see some sort of self-interest in supporting such a character (certain temples, for example, would likely find the idea useful) but many would not.

Gary
    Last edited by Thelandrin; 07-03-2009 at 09:17 PM. Reason: Vertical length.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Welcome to the site!

I figure that the land's choice basically follows 'what everyone knows' or 'the true heir in spirit' - so whoever was granted Roele's bloodline by the land's choice would probably be someone pretty special - and likely someone already a major power in Anuire (or less likely another realm), it might even vest only when Anuire proclaims a single king/emperor who thus 'deserves' the bloodline.

But you can bet that very few dukes/etc would accept a demotion from 'top of the pile' to vassal easily so they will oppose any unificiation, or struggle to retain independence while offering token support at best. Of course many people have a vested interested in changing the existing order, and for good or ill might well support the new Roele.

Others might oppose the new Roele to try to prevent them - or anyone else - uniting Anuire and possibly starting the juggernaut again - basically any awnshegh, or lord of one of the other races would probably prefer that Anuire stayed fragmented.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I don't think that it can be inherited, from the land or otherwise.

My reasons simply are:
    1. The realms have changed so many Roele vassalages will no longer exist or are now under a new line of regents (or an awnshegh).
    2. What domains that Roele personally was regent for will have been reassigned, e.g. Darien controls Avanil, the Chamberlain controls the Imperial City.
    3. What will they inherit?

Too much time has passed for the land to give control of the empire to some new born baby. To do so, it would have to rob a lot of existing regents of their regencies, which is one thing that Land's Choice has never been designed to do.

Sorontar
    Last edited by Sorontar; 07-04-2009 at 01:27 AM. Reason: typo

Downloads
    Uploads
    First off i'd like to thank Birthright-L and AndrewTall for your replies. I understand that the nature of my question is highly speculative and something you could spend entire campaigns, books, and endless forum discussions unfortunatley (and to my ever patient cousins mental anguish) i tend to get fixated on questions like these, and just wanted to know what the general consensus was.

Ehrshegh of Spelling Thelandrin's Avatar
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Birthright-L is the automated mailing list. It's generally "Gary" who writes those posts

Ius Hibernicum, in nomine juris. Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum sonatur.

Thread Information