Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Classes

Classes

Warlock should be out. I don't think we need to replace him with another striker for arcane. As honestly, the Ranger and Rogue are both strikers with different flavor, and BR should be low Magic/Arcane.

Magician - I don't know what to do, I would like to seem him come back, but its going to be hard to have a low level magic user be balanced in 4e against the wizard. Maybe rogue/wizard multiclasses can be known as magicians?

Bard - Needs to come back, but I think taking the Warlord abilities and giving them an Arcane feel would probably work.

Birthright Developer Raesene Andu's Avatar
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I've only just picked up the 4th Edition books today, but looking through them I could see a place for Warlocks in Cerilia and beyond.
    Let me claim your Birthright!!

I don't know if I truly can see warlocks in Cerillia as written in 2e. Demons seemed to play less of a role (infernal) and the real gods were dead (star). I suppose I could see Fey Pact warlocks, either humans or elves or half elves.

We could actually retool the Warlock I suppose to fit into the setting better, change the pact names and how the pact boon worked, but I don't know.

I must say though, the Warlord gave me tingly feeling reading.

Birthright Developer Raesene Andu's Avatar
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Not all the pact type seem applicable to Cerilia that is true... but there would be a place for Warlocks with a Shadow Pact in place of one of the current ones.
    Let me claim your Birthright!!

I hadn't thought about that. Merge the Infernal Pact and Star Pact in some ways, Make two diffrent Shadow Pacts maybe. Maybe certain powerful Awsh's could grant pacts too, but that seems dangerous. Come to think of it, there is no reason for Star Pact not to exisit, in fact in some ways its more plausible for young gods to loan out power like that.

Ehrshegh of Spelling Thelandrin's Avatar
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Well, I always thought that Warlocks were logical if they had the bloodlines of Vorynn (pure magic) or Azrai (elder evil). Anything else doesn't really fit the whole "I throw evil/chaotic magic around all day".

3E warlocks that would be the case.
    In 4E you have three kinds of pacts
    Infernal (easily replaced with Shadow/Azari tainted)
    Fey - I could see Elves/Half Elves not needing blood at all for this.
    and Star.

Star pacts are kind of like getting powers directly from 'holy' being, a god or demigod.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Shadow pacts make sense, there is a long tradition of players allowing spellcasters to get dark powers (witches and warlocks) from Shadow World pacts. I've seen discussion of it more than once and there are always a few "me toos" thrown in.

Fey pacts are cool, I used them for druids and rangers who had fey encounters in the world of fairie. But lets remember such a pact is really another Shadow World pact with entities that are less common and less powerful that the forces of Shadow. The Seelie Court is not the common encounter when one crosses the evanescence. A twilight world of dread is.

If both require appropriate encounters in the SW to form said pacts, I think it all makes sense.

Star pacts make the most sense as Sun pacts, limited to Khinasi (the only magic favoring nation) requiring the five oaths, and all the rest.

As a side note:
    Infernal Pact Powers - Firey Type, curse affect is temporary HP
    Fey Pact Powers - Movement/Harassment, curse affect is movement (teleportation)
    Star Pact - Debuffing (-X to saves, must reroll and take worst result), curse affect is +1 to next skill/attack/et cetra roll (cumulative but limited to one roll, if you kill three guys who yuo have cursed from turn 1 to turn 2, on turn 2 you get +3 on one roll).

To me, Infernal should become Sun Pact, as Avani would administer it, and it would infact make sense for her to give fire powers (not so much with shadow pact). However I like the +1 for kill for a pact coming from (essentially) a godess.

Fey Pact is probably ok as is.

Star Pact powers beomce the Shadow pact in my mind.

Ehrshegh of Spelling Thelandrin's Avatar
    Downloads
    Uploads
    When you state the effects, theming the pacts by renaming them does seem to be the best choice.

Thread Information