Thread: Races: Half Elf

Races: Half Elf

I liked that humans in BR had a unique feel, somehow that unique feel was lost when it came to the Half Elf. I think tis reasonable for 4e BR to grant half the bonus of the parent of the human and half the bonus of the Elf.

The only races that might affect is Rjurik, Brecht, Khansi who might have elvish overlap. Which would lead to Half Elves that have the bonuses of Elves which would be weird. Most of them though would have one the elves dont' have (at least if My current Idea is kept).

Alright I spent some time looking at races. I feel I have a good answer to a conversion to Birthright.

The races listed in the 4th edition are.

Dragonborn - Not allowed in Birthright
    Dwarf - Allowed
    Eladrin - Maybe but certainly special case
    Elf - Allowed
    Half-elf - Allowed
    Halfling - Allowed
    Human - Allowed

For ease of transtion and for others who are picking up Birthright for the first time I would say we keep racial starting abilities the same.

The only issue we have then is the different humans we have in Cerilia. I would suggest that we keep human starting abilities the same but include racial feats to keep them seperate. The goal would be one racial feat for each tier ... heroic, paragon, epic.

Anuirean - Diplomacy skills boosts, War type skill boosts, heavy armor boosts
    Khinasi - Arcana skill boosts, Spell boosts, Light armor boosts
    Rjurik - Nature skill boosts, Hide armor boosts
    Brecht - Unsure. Thievery boosts? Guild boosts.
    Vos - Combat boosts, Strength check boost.

I think the most important thing is ease of transtion from 4th edition core rules and our rules. If we complicate it too much then we keep any new people away. I also feel if we keep it simple then it is easier for others to house rule it to fit their style.

-BB

Ehrshegh of Spelling Thelandrin's Avatar
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I would discount both Eladrin and Elf and put back the Sidhelien. They are closer to the Eladrin, but they're not the same, which is the beauty of the BR setting. Likewise, the half-Elf will need to be altered.

Downloads
    Uploads
    given the overall complexity of the rules, a race write-up and tweak to stat bonus's and racial abilities should be fairly trivial for a new player to pick-up.

I see the Sidhe as somewhere between eladrin and elf - possibly moving between the two over the years as they move to one of the elven cities for a century or three and then grow bored with the city and go back to the wild.

In terms of mechanics I like the eladrin more than the elf, but I'd swap wild step for fey step and use the elf skills for the sidhe. Making them immortal shouldn't have a consequential mechanic impact as I haven't seen any age-related attacks, etc and a game will typically play out over a few generations at most making immortality a fluff issue rather than a mechanic issue.

What about goblins as a race? I'd say they should be as playable as the sidhe, although orogs and gnolls are probably beyond the pale.

Quote Originally Posted by AndrewTall View Post
    given the overall complexity of the rules, a race write-up and tweak to stat bonus's and racial abilities should be fairly trivial for a new player to pick-up.

I see the Sidhe as somewhere between eladrin and elf - possibly moving between the two over the years as they move to one of the elven cities for a century or three and then grow bored with the city and go back to the wild.

In terms of mechanics I like the eladrin more than the elf, but I'd swap wild step for fey step and use the elf skills for the sidhe. Making them immortal shouldn't have a consequential mechanic impact as I haven't seen any age-related attacks, etc and a game will typically play out over a few generations at most making immortality a fluff issue rather than a mechanic issue.

What about goblins as a race? I'd say they should be as playable as the sidhe, although orogs and gnolls are probably beyond the pale.

I see what you are saying but still feel that the base descriptions of the elves will keep their personality in tact without the need of creating a new race. After reading both descriptions again I do agree it looks like they took the elf race from before and split it into two races.

I good way to do it is that different realms are one or the other, or better yet let them both be available as Sidhe. Simply two types of elves much like humans.

I haven't read the Monster Manual yet ... are goblins in there and is there a way to convert them into a playable class there?

-BB

Special Guest (Donor)
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Yes Goblins are in the MM and their stats are listed at the end to be used as a playable race.

Thread Information