Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Races: Halfling

Quote Originally Posted by kgauck View Post
    Because Birthright is not a flashy setting. This is why so many people insist on low magic (or rare magic) and low level. Its a political setting. Giving everyone cool interaction abilities instead of encounter abilities makes a lot more sense for BR. I think its worth spending some time seriously considering that option.
    We certainly can, but it means as a whole the MM and how its monsters work has to be retooled
    For example, in the level 1 monsters (excluding kobolds and others that probably won't come over to BR)
    Goblins shift every time they are missed in combat
    Spiretop Drake has flyby attack (And flies 8 (hover))
    Stirges fly (hover)

Hoever from the MM is essentially they never are not flying.

I normally have combat once a gaming session. And then only because too much combat free gaming leaves players hungry for a little blood. Frankly 1/encounter and 1/month amount to the same thing in a combat ability. (Except in wartime.)
    I typically run 2-3 combats a day (depends on how much we spend on noncombat stuff what they are per game session). And if 1/encounter and 1/month amount to the same thing in your mind, whats the problem with letting the halfling being able to move tatically 1/encounter?

Is it an upgrade from 2e? Yes.
    Does it violate the setting feel: To a degree, no worse than warlocks as a whole.

Does it violate the feel of halflings: No. Halfling war units have always had the ability to move around the terrain 1/battle.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by aluman View Post
    Does it violate the setting feel: To a degree, no worse than warlocks as a whole.
    Nothing says that all PHB core classes (or races) are a true fit for a setting.

Having gone with setting trumps core (as a lot are looking at here) - it is entirel possible to throw out races/clases that do not fit the setting and replace them with ones that do.

Cerilian races are supposed to be different after all.

And while I like a lot of the PHB races and classes, that doesn't mean I think they have a place in a BR setting. Tieflings and dragonborn just don't settle well with BR (IMO).

Neither do warlocks.

There should be more humans than other races in BR after all - well at least they should be more dominant at the domain level anyway.

I do think the warlord is a natural fit for the setting though.
    Duane Eggert

I agree with most of your points.
    Once again, this is why I am thinking the Halflings should have some kind of tactical movement, though.

In the core Race encounter level powers:

1. Dragonborn has a minion control/area of affect breath weapon
    2. Elves have a reroll on the PC side
    3. Eladrin have superior tatical moevment
    4. Halflings can make the DM reroll
    5. Half Elves can pick up an at will of class as an ecounter power
    6. Tieflings can get an attack boost when someone hits him.
    7. Dwarves can use second wind as a minor action

We have three races (Elf, Dwarf, Half Elf) to grant those six powers to. Of them thre rerolls, the movement, minion control are the best abilities. However, I see no reason that the cerillian dwarves are significantly diffrent in the tough guy aspect of dwarves, so they should keep the second wind as a minor action.

Our elves best resemble the normal elves in the core book, keep the rerolling of an attack.

Half Elves should keep their ability as well.

Halflings did get a reroll in the base book, and it could theoritically fit the current halflings in cerillia as well. However to me the bigger power left unused is the movement power. Halflings are otherwordly, and Did have power to move around (3/week instead of 1/encounter, but depending on game speed it could come out to the same amount).

If we want to stick to the new 4th edition rules as close as possible than this it is a good move to keep halfings with powers in the rulebook. It does give them a bit of a fantasic side to them ... but as you said they are from another world in many ways.

I would rather make it a race feat that they can take at higher levels. I wouldn't think that all halflings could do it, but a few that persue that type of power, which actually might be shunned by other halflings, could gain the power. Maybe every village has a shadow walker so as a race they don't forget their past incase the shadow world is ever purged of evil. How about it being a racial paragon path ... Shadow walker or something.

We are already going to have enough fun trying balance all of the different humans ... lets not stress about halflings when their are pretty good rules already in place for them.

-BB

So far I like that suggestion because it gives the halfling and people playing them an option of advance. But as a feat it should have 2 prerquisites 1) Must be a halfling and 2) must have knowledge of the shadow world (History and Lore).

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by bbeau22 View Post
    I would rather make it a race feat that they can take at higher levels. I wouldn't think that all halflings could do it, but a few that persue that type of power, which actually might be shunned by other halflings, could gain the power. Maybe every village has a shadow walker so as a race they don't forget their past incase the shadow world is ever purged of evil. How about it being a racial paragon path ... Shadow walker or something.
    Now that I could possibly agree with. Though not necessarily every village, but one per large region making it rare would be tolerable.
    Servant of the Most High,
    Lawgiver

Isaiah 1:17
    Learn to do good; Seek justice, Rebuke the oppressor; Defend the fatherless, Plead for the widow.

I know it might seem overly simplistic, but I don't see why the 'second chance' is intrinsically halfling; I might just swap it out for the Eldarin 'Fey Step' and add in, as a daily power, the 'Sense the Presence of Magic' aspect of the Arcana Skill, tailored to the BR halfling by adding in the Evil & Undead aspect that are in the 2nd ed rulebook along with the caveat that they have that as an trained skill. While I would posit that no one has the desire or capability to 'train' that skill, the 2nd ed text states 75% chance; I think the +5 for trained suffices for that.

SO I leave it as the 4e book; +2 dx/ch, skill bonus of Acrobatics & Thievery, +5 v fear, +2 v. Opportunity attacks, and both Fey Step and Whiff of Magic; the daily standard action to detect magic/evil/undead as the skill; half level + IN bonus +5; a typical village 'wise woman' but well have a +8-12 then, and that's not so bad.

thoughts?

Quote Originally Posted by fbaker4 View Post
    I know it might seem overly simplistic, but I don't see why the 'second chance' is intrinsically halfling; I might just swap it out for the Eldarin 'Fey Step' and add in, as a daily power, the 'Sense the Presence of Magic' aspect of the Arcana Skill, tailored to the BR halfling by adding in the Evil & Undead aspect that are in the 2nd ed rulebook along with the caveat that they have that as an trained skill. While I would posit that no one has the desire or capability to 'train' that skill, the 2nd ed text states 75% chance; I think the +5 for trained suffices for that.

SO I leave it as the 4e book; +2 dx/ch, skill bonus of Acrobatics & Thievery, +5 v fear, +2 v. Opportunity attacks, and both Fey Step and Whiff of Magic; the daily standard action to detect magic/evil/undead as the skill; half level + IN bonus +5; a typical village 'wise woman' but well have a +8-12 then, and that's not so bad.

thoughts?
    Sounds mostly pretty good but I would have to look a little more closely. The fey steps makes alot of sense to add in to them. I always feel the simplest answers is usually the best if it still keeps with the feel of what we are looking for.

-BB

Here's how I'm going to handle halflings in my (new & accepting applications) pbem game:

Halflings, Cerilia
    As the text, but with two main changes. Fey Step in place of Second Chance and 'See the Shadow'; it's a daily power that acts like the 'Sense the Presence of Magic' from the Arcana skill; it also is used for detecting evil or undead.

So limited changes, trying to bridge the game between the original 2nd ed rules and the 4e.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by fbaker4 View Post
    Here's how I'm going to handle halflings in my (new & accepting applications) pbem game:

Halflings, Cerilia
    As the text, but with two main changes. Fey Step in place of Second Chance and 'See the Shadow'; it's a daily power that acts like the 'Sense the Presence of Magic' from the Arcana skill; it also is used for detecting evil or undead.

So limited changes, trying to bridge the game between the original 2nd ed rules and the 4e.
    Detect undead perhaps, but I would not allow Halflings to detect evil through the shadow world. I think it is great for the political intrigue of the setting that detect evil was ousted and I see no need to get it back in.

Thread Information