Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Races: Human Subtypes

Now, one of the things about BR that always endeared me was the fact that humans felt unique a Khansi human was diffrent from the Anuerian was diffrent from the Rjuven was diffrent from the Brecht, was diffrent from the Vos. Part of this was the +1 -1 that humans got.

3E Made humans even more blended, and to keep the balance right internally, BRCS had to make some comprimises. Overall for 3.X BRCS did a good job at making humans subtypes feel unique.

4E Balance changed, Humans in general are still generalists, but instead of the standard +4 (+2 to two diffrent stats) that other races have, Humans get a +2 to a floater.

To bring back the flavor of 2E I think to start with, the easiest change is just to give each race at of +2's like a normal race. Humans would still have some of the versatility of their stock standard 4E counterparts (Namely, the extra At Will and extra Feat and Extra Skill), but it brings back the feel that 2E's races had.

My Suggestions
    Anurieans: +2 Wis +2 Cha (Charisma drives the Warlord, which I see a lot Anurieans being.)
    Issue with this: Wisdom and Charisma are both Will Save drivers, its possible to give a +2 Int, but I am unsure if we want that. Maybe +2 Str or +2 Con.

Brecht: +2 Dex +2 Cha (Charisma is the sneak-thief rogue favored attribute as well, which I think a Guilder/Merchant style would be more likely to wnat)
    Issues: +2 Cha seems to be popular with races, but Paladins, Clerics, Warlords, and Warlocks all have lots of abilities that key to it, and Rogues have a fair number sooo charisma seems to be more popular overall.

Khansi: +2Int +2Wis (Status/control wizard)
    Issues: This hasn't been done in the PHB or MM stated races, has potential be abused with Orb Mastery.

Rjuven: +2Dex +2Con - this one is the one I am most happy with race wise, it will lead itself to rangers which I see as prevaliant in Rjuven.

Vos: +2Str +2Con - This just plain makes sense, though I think the Vos will benfit even more from this once Primal sources comes out.

Issues: Strength and Consitution both help Fortitude Saves, I think over all though this won't matter as vos are going to be heavy into the defender classes. Maybe replace Con with Str for a strong two-weapon ranger build, but it feels weird to put ranger with Vos. Evne though 'ranger' doesn't mean 'good guy' automatically anymore.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Humans are humans, even in BR. 4E makes this even easier. Instead of forcing a fixed modifier, let humans keep their 'floater'. Perhaps there will be more Vos than Khinasi taking the +2 Str, but at least opens up the possiblilty for a player to created a really strong Khinasi fighter if he wants to.
    Cheers
    Bjørn
    DM of Ruins of Empire II PbeM

Downloads
    Uploads
    This does seem to be more of a role playing issue, so sticking with the floater is probably best.

Special Guest (Donor)
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I would stick with the floater too. Later on if there are racial feats for each type of human type, those feats can have attribute pre-requisites related to the characteristics that are expected for the human type.

I like vincente idea of having race specific feat to allow, and to keep with the floating number attribute number. and with each of the human races have a small selection of feats to make each of the breeds of humans unique.

To me 4E, attributes really set the 'typical' more than any other edition.

Thus a typical Vos could have higher strength.

The feat idea while it Could work, actually removes the verstality more than removing the floater (If the feats are said must be anuriean/khansi/brecht et cetra), or removes the unique flavor the human subtypes (If the feats just say 'must be human').

Furthermore, while arcane classes have only a couple of feats that they 'need' a martial powered class is going to still be spending 7-8 feats by level 10, and this means that if its a full feat tree it limits martial classes to 1 feat.

Downloads
    Uploads
    A + 2 modification for the same race is too much.They are always humans,the maximum modification should be +1.
    Vos should have a minum value in strenght.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I'd prefer no racial modifiers for humans.
    Last edited by kgauck; 06-08-2008 at 01:39 AM. Reason: clarity

Quote Originally Posted by vota dc View Post
    A + 2 modification for the same race is too much.They are always humans,the maximum modification should be +1.
    Vos should have a minum value in strenght.
    Even if we have modifications it should be in line with whats presented in 4E. The base value (Score-10)/2 modifer is the same from 3e, +1 means a lot of oddball tricks rather than real utility, +2 to two diffrent attributes is the mainstay for non-human races in 4e.

Humans in the core book get a +2 floater.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I'd note that some Vos at least should have +2 int, +2 cha/wis - not every Vos is a male berserker. Kreisha's priestesses and Rournil's faithful do not meet the 'brawny himbo' stereotype.

As to feats 1 feat is not a lot to spend, if the cost bothers your players you could always add a 'cultural' feat to all PC's, they beef slightly but not by much - particularly if the cultural feat is not combat focused.

Sigh, I'm half way through the new PHB and I keep wondering if it's based of lords of the rings or snakes and ladders...
    Last edited by AndrewTall; 06-08-2008 at 10:29 AM. Reason: For the americans, snakes and ladders is the original name for chutes and ladders.

Thread Information