Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast
    Ehrshegh of Spelling Thelandrin's Avatar
    Downloads
    Uploads
    While acceptance of 3rd Edition over 2nd Edition was by far the great majority, I think that many people will stay with 3rd Edition, so it seem a little silly just to abandon everything 3E simply because of the genesis of 4th Edition.

Downloads
    Uploads
    When 3rd edition came out, people all talked of sticking with 2nd edition, which was the edition the setting was written in. I expect the same now. In fact I think the barrier from 2nd to 3rd was higher, because of the fact that BR is written in 2e. Plus, new people who happen on BR are far more likely to be playing the current edition than playing in some vestigial edition.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Even if some people stick with 3E (I may do just that - at least for a time) a 4E conversion is in order.
    Cheers
    Bjørn
    DM of Ruins of Empire II PbeM

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Green Knight View Post
    Even if some people stick with 3E (I may do just that - at least for a time) a 4E conversion is in order.
    Agreed. And by the time any real fruit is available from the project it will be about the time many stalwart 3E players begin to dabble into/research 4E a little more heavily (18-24 mo).
    Servant of the Most High,
    Lawgiver

Isaiah 1:17
    Learn to do good; Seek justice, Rebuke the oppressor; Defend the fatherless, Plead for the widow.

I haven´t received my books yet (being in South America means I will have to wait some weeks to get them ), but from what I read in En World and other forums, the 4E DMG has pretty good and clear rules to build and customize almost everything. In this respect, it seems that the numbers-sytem in 4E is much more solid and balanced, having clear guidlines to correlate and compare things.

Also, from what I read, it is pretty pointless to build NPCs using PC´s building methods. As opposed to 3e, where everything is comparable rules wise to everything else, 4E is much more "pc oriented", being the minions rules the most clear example of it. So translating important NPCs and monsters (like the everpresent Gorgon), should be quite easy.

Downloads
    Uploads
    By "conversion," do you mean converting the classes, characters and monsters, monsters, equipment, skills and feats, spells, and bloodlines? In other words, the adventure-level stuff?

Or do you mean "converting" the realm-level play rules?

It seems to me that only the adventure-level stuff needs a hard-and-fast conversion, and that this should actually be pretty easy.

Any revision to realm-level play rules should be done carefully and given an appropriate amount of time to incorporate input and changes that will make game play better. In fact, no revision of these rules seems necessary for 4e, though we may now have played with BRCS long enough to identify and make some improvements on that basis.

I must say Im not familiar with 3x realm rules. As for your question, 4E has some really cool mechanics like skill challenges, which would be great to integrate into domain rules.

Downloads
    Uploads
    The skill challenges require multiple rolls and successes to determine if something is achieved and to what extent it is achieved--similar in some ways to the White Wolf system. Incorporating this aspect of skill challenges would be fine for small tabletop RPGs where the addition of many extra rolls isn't a big deal. It would, however, be crippling for large games, particularly PBEMs. If realm rules revision goes this route, then we would definitely need to create a separate set of rules for the PBEM community and games with large numbers of players.

The other aspect of skill challenges that I'm aware of is just assigning them levels of difficulty and appropriate XP. This could indeed be derived into a formula for determining XP for succeeding at realm level actions. For instance, perhaps Ruling a level 3 holding to a level 4 holding is adjusted to be an adequate level 4 challenge, thereby earning the appropriate XP. Realm actions would act as either additional encounters, or have the multiplier effect akin to multiple monsters of the same level. Then again, it could be argued that regents should only gain XP for those actions they are personally involved in, which (depending on how you interpret Realm actions) would keep it limited to a single action for a single holding.

Special Guest (Donor)
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by kgauck View Post
    Not only do we need a 3-4 conversion, but a direct 2e to 4e conversion, since the core materials and source inspiration is 2nd edition. I don't think I've written a stat block in six months, since it seems pointless to convert a character from 2 to 3, only as 4 dawns.
    I'm pretty sure Wizards has stated 3e can't be converted to 4e and that the conversion was something they didn't even want to try. Things in 4e are the way they wanted to get an easier and more balanced system, no matter if on 2e or 3e they were that way or not (for example Dragons don't have spells. And they killed several other "sacred crows" in the process).

So more than "Conversion" I would call it plainly Birthright 4e: how the concept X (domain actions, bloodline,...) from Birthright is expressed in 4e no matter how it was expressed in older editions.

My 2 cents

Quote Originally Posted by Vicente View Post
    So more than "Conversion" I would call it plainly Birthright 4e: how the concept X (domain actions, bloodline,...) from Birthright is expressed in 4e no matter how it was expressed in older editions.
    Totally agree on this. We should use 2nd edition as source and inspiration and build things using 4E system and paradigm.

It just came to me that it will be perfectly reasonable to add a "power source" to the BR setting: Blood. Just as "Martial" fuels the cool fighter moves and "Arcane" fuels the wizard´s magic, "Blood" can fuel blooded abilities, being either adventuring or domain powers.

Or we could just work on feats, and ignore the above.

Thread Information