Page 7 of 15 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 ... LastLast
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by kgauck View Post
    I was taking to Trithemius about conversion just this morning, and he doesn't even thing D&D is the right system, let alone 4e the best edition. Clearly this is a matter of taste, and hopefully, everyone can find something to enjoy in BR. 4e'ers too.

Trithemius has hated D&D for years.. if he had embraced 4e then I'd take it as a sign of Armageddon.

Special Guest (Donor)
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I have a level 60 hunter on WoW (well, had, suscription is cancelled, I'm now concentrated on Eve Online, I like much more sandbox games).

I continue thinking than the direct comparison of DnD to WoW is very close minded. There are very talented designers in other fields (computer games, board games,...) and if they have good ideas and they fit your field there's no logical reason not to take them.

About the powers per encounter and things like that. Some blood powers could be used X times / Y unit of time, now some skills can be used 1 time / 1 encounter. Wizards just found a way to keep track of skill uses that involves less management than the system we had before. Nothing new under the sun, they just polished an old idea.

MMORPGs roles were taken from roleplaying games, it's quite fun to hear that DnD is taking that idea from them when MMORPGs were the ones that copied it... The iconic DnD wizard casts fireballs, meteor swarms,... (AoE), the iconic cleric heals and resurrects (healer), the iconic figher goes to melee with the tough monsters (tank), the iconic rogue hides and stabs (DPS),...

Of course they probably took some inspiration in other fields, but people are blowing it out of proportion. Wizards already made a step on digital programs in 3e and failed miserably but saw potential. I agree they are going to fail again because DDI is useful, but there are far better and cheaper programs to play a RPG game online (Fantasy Grounds etc etc).

There's a lot of market for that kind of programs (just look how many of them are out there) and it has nothing to do with MMORPGs, it's a natural need of players who can't get together to play.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Green Knight View Post
    Take one simple little thing like classes...the Fighter is still the Fighter, right? No, he is not. Not just the fighter, but every class (perhaps save the old primary spellcasters) are MUCH more fantastic than before. Hey, I think the 4ed Fighter is pretty cool, but the only BR campaign that he'll fit into is my EPIC campaign (and barely even that). The BR fighter to me is a professional soldier or some such...but the 4ed one is a console-fighter-type. Not a bad thing, but not very BR. And that really bothers me.
    But the fighter from 4e is a PC and a hero not the average grunt.

So... I think we need to pull back and reflect a bit.

Is the reason to convert to 4e simply wanting to "stay current"?

What are the consequences/benefits of going to 4e?

What are the consequences/benefits of going to an entirely different game system (Traveller, Savage Worlds)?
    Servant of the Most High,
    Lawgiver

Isaiah 1:17
    Learn to do good; Seek justice, Rebuke the oppressor; Defend the fatherless, Plead for the widow.

Downloads
    Uploads
    As with any rules set in any RPG, it's all how you interpret the rules into the story. We could provide BR flavor guidelines for the various powers, but consider that even the Fighter's powers can really just be represented by different swings of a sword or axe, striking a different part of their foe, etc. It's not about some fancy technique, just about different footwork and bladework--not even just one type of swing, but each attack option can be represented by many different descriptions of how it is carried out.

It's really not that hard. Anyone that is having trouble fitting the powers into the gritty BR setting, bring up the power and we'll discuss it.

Well, I've addressed why I think 4e won't be a problem to integrate into the story. As for why we're doing it anyway, it is to keep the game fresh and alive and attracting new blood. If we do not, I can guarantee BR will only survive among die hard veterans. And many of us will have converted to 4e anyway, because it will be easy to parallel our other games and play groups, and because it has certain streamlining advantages over 3e.

BR will not only not grow significantly if it goes to another game system, but much of its existing D&D fan base will abandon our efforts here, as we will no longer be relevant to them. I don't want to learn another system, anyway. 4e is enough. I've played in too many systems and don't really care to branch out anymore; I expect other people are the same.

Refuse to update to 4e and we'll probably lose our "official" fansite status, and BR will slowly wither and die. Abandon D&D and BR will quickly wither and die.

Accept a little inevitability here; it's a fact of life
    Last edited by Rowan; 06-12-2008 at 02:29 PM.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Rowan View Post
    If we do not, I can guarantee BR will only survive among die hard veterans.
    Isn't that what it's already doing?
    Servant of the Most High,
    Lawgiver

Isaiah 1:17
    Learn to do good; Seek justice, Rebuke the oppressor; Defend the fatherless, Plead for the widow.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Consideration of other systems for the setting is good, but it just doesn't seem sensible to ignore 4e, since D&D is the giant system and 4e is its current incarnation. This must be a situation where we hope 1000 flowers bloom.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Example of silliness: Minions - have 1 hp. Either live or they die. Probably good for cinematic combat, not good for my sense of internally-consistent-game-world (it doesn't have to be realistic as such, only consistent).
    Cheers
    Bjørn
    DM of Ruins of Empire II PbeM

I also think that many things are corrected in 4th edition.

- Speeds up gameplay. I hate being bogged down with 2-3 hour long single combats.
    - Fighters are more interesting and balanced for higher levels.
    - Clerics no longer have to waste their spells on healing between combats.
    - Wizards aren't over-powered at high level (instant kill spells.)

By no means is it perfect, but I like the improvements above.

-BB

Downloads
    Uploads
    4e following on form above
    -can be play by ever 10 year old in the world welcome wizards to Game workshop style of packaging and money makeing.
    I'm all for them trying to cut us for money but aming the rules so any 10 year old can understand them and reverting the game as some thing akin to a bord game make me sick.
    ]Blood is power; there is no way of changing that truth, in any way, shape or form.

Life is and always will be about survival of the fittest - what does not kill you, makes you stronger.

GM tags
    Raesene/Wanderer

Downloads
    Uploads
    Consistency and simplicity of the rules is a good thing as long as they can still describe all the situations you want/need them to. So far 4e seems to describe even more situations (such as skill challenges) better than any previous edition with simpler, more balanced rules.

It's also pretty easy to fix things about 4e that you don't like, easier than other editions, I think. I agree that the 1hp Minions was a stupid move. The concept was that these foes should drop with one hit. Sounds fair, since most people in combat would drop with one hit of a sword; extra hp beyond that actually reflects the fact that you have a strong will to fight, you're avoiding a solid hit and are harder to knock off guard sufficiently to strike a mortal blow (the significant, life-threatening blow not falling until the final one that drops you below zero; healing surges would represent getting back in the fight, getting your guard back up, shrugging off the pain and dazing effect of non-lethal wounds).

So the concept with minions can be adjusted pretty easily to bring it back in line, I think. Figure an average damage that a character can dish out at a given level in a single attack and give a minion of that level that many hit points. That way, 5th level characters fighting a 15th level minion are still challenged. Meanwhile, the minion's disregard for their own safety is still reflected by it being fairly easy to knock them out.

Thread Information