Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Downloads
    Uploads

Blood Skull Barony

Discussion thread for Blood Skull Barony. If you would like to add a comment, click the Post Reply button.

Downloads
    Uploads
    The Rjurik Highlands says there are minotaurs in the Blood Skull Barony. I never used minotaurs in BR (not to say they aren't in the Maze or other places) and have not mentioned them yet in realm descriptions. I rather think they were thrown in there and don't really belong. We have minotaur NPC's decribed, no images of minotaurs in a Blood Skull context, or even any named minotaurs. They aren't Celtic or Viking, and we do have mention of fhoimoriens, a celtic giant. I think we're fine with orogs, goblins, fhoimorien, and "others" by which I intend ogres, giants, and trolls in small numbers. If these three races aren't enough, we could elevate trolls, which are much more Norse than minotaurs.

Anyone dedicated to minotaurs willing to pitch for their inclusion?

Special Guest (Donor)
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Minotaurs sound good. Especially in PS of Stjordvik where they rammed into Great Oak Wall. Gave me chills imagining it.
    Rey M. - court wizard of Tuarhievel

Downloads
    Uploads
    There is no Oak Wall. Please. A people who worship a forest god build a wooden wall around a kingdom? Is this a forest god who hates forests? Do a little math, this kind of project would deforest the kingdom in a few years. The labor requirements to upkeep this wall would be build-the-pyramids kind of labor. Ninja gnomes with lasers that shoot out of their eyes make more sense than the Oak Wall.

Special Guest (Donor)
    Downloads
    Uploads
    LoL.

It's a blessed monument for one nations survival. It was built from thick forest of tall oak trees and Stjordvik had to import mast timber for 100 years. They've only cut down half the forests in domain. And druids worked overtime to wash the dishes.
    Besides, it's fantasy. Like elven forest where you lose track of time if you're human. That's something I'd not buy.
    The wall was continually repaired and upgraded for centuries because its main portion was finished in -438 HC. And you can see it from the Moon.

Downloads
    Uploads
    If Erik allows this, he's a fraud, and the Rjurik people are frauds, and frankly the whole setting is a fraud. I don't forgive Doug Stewart for this. We put up with so much environmentalist "flavor" in this setting, to get this nonsense is worse than the Monkey King on steroids.

Downloads
    Uploads
    A much more Rjurik - and effective - method would be to try and build something like Offa's Dike or Hadrian's wall - wood burns and rots. Piled stone and ditches endure.

The purposes of the barrier is in any event to stop raiders carting off goods, I see the Rjurik as at tracking down and slaughtering raiders so I never really saw what they needed the wall for - perhaps a wall across a key pass, but that's about it.

A thick barrier of near-impenetrable thorny bushes grown overnight by Erik to protect his people? Well maybe I might let them get away with that too...

Minotaurs may not be Celtic, but they are classic human-with-monster-head beast-men created by Azrai types to add to gnolls and any other freaks you want to see. Not quite sure we need them or how they survive a genocidal purge for lebensraum from the orogs though.
    Last edited by AndrewTall; 06-17-2008 at 09:33 PM. Reason: Forgot the minotaurs...

Special Guest (Donor)
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Erik wasn't god then.
    It's survival and final settling down after long run from the Shadow. How would you fill? You'd build a fish wall just to have safe haven for your people, finally.

Downloads
    Uploads
    No one else built walls. No one else thought to cut down 10,000 trees per mile of wall every three years (that's 2 square miles of deforestation every decade per mile length of the wall - Stjordvik has slightly over 5000 square miles giving them about 20 years to go from fully forested to total desert.

And Reynir is who exactly?

Special Guest (Donor)
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Only Chinese built the wall of those proportions in our world. Even in my country there is a wall that had purpose like the Chinese, but smaller in proportions and perhaps 90% of people even in my country don't know it exists.

There is no information about how much forest was cut down, in what proportions or over what exact period of time, and how big was the forest when Stjordvik was first settled, at least to my knowledge. And please correct me if I'm wrong. I agree, it's a lot of wood.

And BTW, I wasn't the first to mention Erik, not even Reynir.

Thread Information