Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dragons

Downloads
    Uploads

Dragons

How/where have you incorporated them into your games?

Are they unique creatures, one general species or use some of the chromatic/metallic nature of the core D&D rules?

How are they played out? Destructive monsters; contemplative/calculating; aloof;
    Servant of the Most High,
    Lawgiver

Isaiah 1:17
    Learn to do good; Seek justice, Rebuke the oppressor; Defend the fatherless, Plead for the widow.

Special Guest (Donor)
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I hope my memory serves me well, only dragon I've heard about/run into in BR, as a character, was the one in Tuarhievel that taelinri revered as a lore keeper until some party killed him.

The other one was killed by my party to be, but I don't remember what he was like. Besides, back then we didn't have so much books about BR, so DM had a custom BR campaign set in different continent (like Tollanar, perhaps).

The third one was in FR, northwest of ...ummm, that big forest south of Silverymoon..
    Party went for a little stroll outside Aebrynis.
    Rey M. - court wizard of Tuarhievel

Downloads
    Uploads
    There was a Dragon article about the (red) dragon of volstov peak (sp?). Another (white?) was rumored to be in Drachenward, somewhere in the glacier. I wanted to start expanding the Drachenward stub (but couldn't figure out how to get the template into the wiki stub.:confused My idea was to hint that the dragon of Drachenward has access to realm magic (hinted at in the Havens sourcebook) and may even attend the court of Drachenward in disguise as the bard/wizard/druid what's his name that is rumored to be the sole expert of the glacier.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Birthright dragons were intended to be all of one species, not chromatic or metalic. They can be whatever you want of course, but in the published materials the dragons were their own species, neither good or evil by nature.

In my campaigns I use this as a good guide:
    http://www.birthright.net/brwiki/ind...rilian_dragons

Dragons are very rare and very powerful in birthright.

Downloads
    Uploads
    In a message dated 5/29/2008 9:32:17 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time, brnetboard@BIRTHRIGHT.NET writes:

Lawgiver wrote: How/where have you incorporated them into your games?

Only in the background for me, so far. My last party (on a voyage around
    Cerilia) explored near Vstaive Peak. I played up the earthquakes, and had them
    somewhat shaking in their boots. Earlier than that, I had them pop into the
    Shadow World for a dungeon crawl (they`re not likely to do *that* again!),
    and they found the final resting place of a young dragon. Nothing but
    partly-decayed bones, and one PC took some bits as souvenirs. As a cleric of
    Sarimie, he sliced up a knuckle for sale to Vos tribesmen, and then sold a pair of
    claws to the sorceror-rogue. She wants to make them into a matched pair of
    daggers, `cause that would be really cool!

Are they unique creatures, one general species or use some of the chromatic/metallic nature of the core D&D rules?

I use the "Cerilian" species, so they are nearly unique. Somewhere around
    here, there should be a census of the dozen or so suspected dragons.

How are they played out? Destructive monsters; contemplative/calculating; aloof;

Very, very aloof. I think they are in hiding, watching and seeking to find
    a way to safely return. My own projection will be that they are conspiring
    with the sidhe to re-assert their joint rule over humanity. Hatching a few
    more dragons should be a big part of this.
    Last edited by Thelandrin; 05-30-2008 at 01:39 AM.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Dragons in my campaign are very aloof, deceptive and mysterious...

Those that live on Cerilia nowadays, were all present at Deismaar, and become sterile in the cataclysm of gods, and since dragons are magical beings they suffered terribly in the energy surge created by gods destruction, so dragons are still regaining their strength, healing their wounds, thats why they don't wander far from their lairs. They have built lairs on potent sources, bound themselves to those primordial magical energies. Some dragons didn't made it, some did, but got forcefully severed from their sources by lesser beings, and they faded away. Of course younger dragons didn't survived the post-cataclysm era, they were just not strong enough to preserve their energies from dissipating...

My party encountered 2 dragons during our play. One was the Dragon, the one that controls Sources of Drachenward, tho only one player realized its nature; and the other was a Shadow Dragon, in Shadow World...

I use standard Cerilian Dragon; to be honest I never liked that core D&D dragon categorization. It works awesome for the Dragonlance, tho...

Last edited by ShadowMoon; 05-30-2008 at 02:56 AM.
    "If the wizards and students who lived here centuries ago had practiced control - in their spellcasting and in their dealings with the politics of the empire - you would be studying in a tall tower made by the best dwarf stone masons, not in an old military barracks."
    Applied Thaumaturgy Lector of the Royal College of Sorcery to new generation of students.

Downloads
    Uploads
    In one of my first campaigns I had a dragon in the Chimaeron which helped explained the low trade between Anuire the East by land. The PCs didn't want anything to do with it. I think I was going to actually make a wyvern. The rumors just made it a bigger/scarier monster.

I hinted at a dragon in the Five Peaks in one campaign, but the PCs never risked finding out if the rumors/sightings/thefts of livestock were true. The plot line had a female dragon being "held hostage" and as used as a tool for chaos/revenge against Beoruine or Ghoere (I forget which) by the Wizard (before I had read the Iron Throne novel and got a greater look at the NPC's personality). The Wizard who had stolen one of her eggs, threatened to destroy it if the mother did not obey. Ultimately, the Wizard hoped the mother would be slain and the infant dragon raised as her own. The intention at some point was for the PCs to thwart the Wizard and set the dragon and offspring free rather than slay the beast.

I've had several ideas of needing to seek a dragon for wisdom/knowledge for an epic campaign that never progressed to the point of need. I'm also fond of the concept of dragons enjoying areas with high magic/source potential; as much for the power within them, as the desire to flee civilization. As those areas disappear and man hunts them, they are slowly becoming extinct. I view the general species/interaction of dragons/humans similar to the concepts of the movie Dragonheart. They have the ability to communicate in a peaceful friendly manner, but prefer to be left alone unless forced and then they are a force to be reckoned with.
    Servant of the Most High,
    Lawgiver

Isaiah 1:17
    Learn to do good; Seek justice, Rebuke the oppressor; Defend the fatherless, Plead for the widow.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I generally play them as aloof and wise and not favoring interaction with mortal creatures. Generally they've served as plot points for an epic quest or piece of information. The last time a dragon influenced one of my games, the PCs found some dragon bones and some dried dragon blood in an old underground fortress from eons past. So one of the PCs collected some of the dried blood, researched the necessary processes and to re-constituted it... and then drank it. His body began to slowly warp and transform over the course of the game, all the while the aforementioned dead dragon started speaking to him from beyond in his dreams. By the end of the game he had secretly created a dragon cult. This was all the more shocking since the PCs were ruling Tuarhievel and the cult was created without the knowledge of the rest of the party, including the regent.

Downloads
    Uploads
    In our campaign I think we have only encountered 2 dragons in the Shadow World during a lengthy adventure to kill off a SW city of super-ghouls (just like normal ghouls only smarter). The dragons were initially a source of information to the party then they helped the military assault against the ghouls.

The dragons were mainly in their proto-elf form IIRC (i.e. what elves looked like before Aebyrnis and SW split... do we have a name for them?). They only became scaley when the major attack commenced.

That was a strange adventure, especially for my Aebyrnis-loving druid who ended up with a goblin apprentice.... and never wanted to go to the SW again! (but keeps on ending up there somehow)

Sorontar.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Sorontar View Post
    The dragons were mainly in their proto-elf form IIRC (i.e. what elves looked like before Aebyrnis and SW split... do we have a name for them?). They only became scaley when the major attack commenced.

Sorontar.
    Sie? I get confused though as the shadow world elves are referred to as sidhe which is also used for Cerilian elves.

Thread Information