Hybrid View

A Curse To Slay An Awnie?

I keep seeing lore about people that unintentionally slay awnies and transform into abominations of their own. Does this occur anytime somebody defeats an awnie? Or only if somebody intentionally or accidently does bloodtheft?

Seems like a big insentive to further leave awnies alone.

Special Guest (Donor)
    Downloads
    Uploads
    As far as I know, you can't kill an awnshegh unintentionally and transform into an abomination. You transform when you intentionally do a bloodtheft by piercing through a heart.
    Transformation occurs because the gained blood is different and stronger then your own, if I'm not mistaking.
    Rey M. - court wizard of Tuarhievel

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Rey View Post
    As far as I know, you can't kill an awnshegh unintentionally and transform into an abomination. You transform when you intentionally do a bloodtheft by piercing through a heart.
    Transformation occurs because the gained blood is different and stronger then your own, if I'm not mistaking.

In 2nd ed there was an adventure in the hero kings supplement that contained the mechanic for such a thing. IIRC it was also reporduced in the Book of Regency.

Basically you rolled d6s against an awnies d8s based on bloddline score. The winner had his bloodline prevail.

Having said that, there was a lot more DM fiat when it came to monsters and the like in 2nd ed then there is 3.5 - so a lot of things flat out don't make sense from an everything is equal standpoint.
    Duane Eggert

Downloads
    Uploads
    If a PC (or otherwise) does slay an awnie and gains power from doing so (i.e. gains any points of BS), there should at least be SOME risk of bloodline corruption. If the same character intentionally tries to commit bloodtheft then the risk should be MUCH greater.
    Cheers
    Bjørn
    DM of Ruins of Empire II PbeM

Downloads
    Uploads
    3x had nice mechanics for taint. (Similar to SW's dark side of the force). Killing the awnie might be worth a dark side check, if you tried bloodtheft that might be worth a check, and performing acts appropriate to the bloodline might provoke checks. So if you stay on the strait and narrow, you still face checks based on contact with Azrai's blood. If you act like Azrai, you get more checks.

Downloads
    Uploads
    In a message dated 5/23/2008 5:21:50 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time, brnetboard@BIRTHRIGHT.NET writes:

As far as I know, you can`t kill an awnshegh unintentionally and transform into an abomination. You transform when you intentionally do a bloodtheft by piercing through a heart.

Transformation occurs because the gained blood is different and stronger then your own, if I`m not mistaking.

I think there`s always a tiny chance to switch bloodlines (opposed die
    rolls), but it`s more likely if the thefted one is stronger, and if it`s Azrai`s.
    Players in my games have always been careful NOT to finish off scions with
    anything likely to result in bloodtheft. They stand back and shoot arrows.

Lee.
    Last edited by Thelandrin; 05-24-2008 at 04:12 PM.

Special Guest (Donor)
    Downloads
    Uploads
    We always try to finish off an awnie with a pierce through heart. You can imagine how it looks when a party of at least four suddenly drops their weapons, and unsheathes their daggers, closing in on the dying 'shegh. Scarier than the Spanish inquisition.
    Rey M. - court wizard of Tuarhievel

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Rey View Post
    We always try to finish off an awnie with a pierce through heart. You can imagine how it looks when a party of at least four suddenly drops their weapons, and unsheathes their daggers, closing in on the dying 'shegh. Scarier than the Spanish inquisition.
    Herokings said to divide the scion's bloodlines by five dropping fractions, the awnie then rolls that many d8, the scion rolls d6's.

Given the huge negative effects of being an awnie (pitchforks, burning torches, social leprosy, bad hair) your PC's have issues, my Pc's did the opposite with awnies being terrified of suffering the curse...

Personally I'd like to flex the corruption mechanic to reflect alignment/bloodlust, etc and make it possible for any scion to be corrupted - a scion of Basaia who slaughters several scions of Anduiras, Reynir etc should also risk corruption imho as they are clearly following some faint taitn of Azrai far back in their lineage rather than the noble blood most prominent in worthier family members.

Ehrshegh of Spelling Thelandrin's Avatar
    Downloads
    Uploads
    That's an interesting procedure, but it doesn't take into account an individual's strength of mind or body. I think I prefer the saving throw system.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Thelandrin View Post
    That's an interesting procedure, but it doesn't take into account an individual's strength of mind or body. I think I prefer the saving throw system.
    Under 3e it should probably be a will check with a DC relating to the relative strengths of the bloodlines and allegiance to the dead beliefs.

How about:

Roll modifier: + scion's bloodline modifier
    DC: + awnie's modifier * 4/3
    DC: +/- 10 per bloodline strength difference between the scions
    DC: +5 to +15 if the target was 'murdered' depending on circumstances
    DC: -10 if the target is a scion of Azrai rather than an awnie
    DC: -25 if the target is a scion of any god other than Azrai
    DC: -30 if the target is an Ehrshegh
    DC: +1 to 5 per trait if the PC is aggressive, devious, proud, or treacherous.
    DC: -1 to -5 per trait if the PC is calm, honest, humble or loyal.

People using an alignment system could swap the last two for:
    DC: Law:Chaos axis; +5 if neutral, +10 if chaotic
    DC: Good:Evil axis; +5 if neutral, +10 if evil

You could use a similar system for the chance of the scion's bloodline being overwhelmed by the target's for any bloodline by tweaking the alignment factors.

Thread Information