Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Downloads
    Uploads

Non-landed Heraldry

I've created a lot of heraldry for the provinces and domains, but for wizards, guilds, druids I've been thinking of doing something different.

This would be the wizard's mark of Mhistecai, for instance. Like something burned onto parchment by arcane forces. Since this is a prototype, I'm looking for feedback.

Also, at some point there need to be guidelines for making these things. Rules of heraldry already exist. So what principles would be behind the marks that wizards use? Just as there is a language of heraldry, we should think about a language of wizard's marks.

I think a wizard's "mark" should definatley be a reflection of the wizard's magical style; a "Storm Mage" who favors weather affecting evocations would probably have a sifferent set of mystic sigils than someone who specializes in illusion or diviniation, or even just fire based spells.

Of course, you want it to be simple, too. Maybe start with a list of arcane symbols for schools, and then have different lines, swishes, and so on to denote territory, who taught the wizard, and personal accomplishments?

I agree that wizards marks are a fantastic replacement for arms, for the most part, though some of the wizards that have been named as counts, barons, lords, would obviously have heraldry also, maybe incorporating their wizard mark.

Guilds would likely not have arms obviously, unless given royal charters, and the last one of those officially would have been the old guilds of the Empire. (though I would like to see them with them, and maybe some new ones, given by Dukes to their "officially sanctioned guilds" perhaps)

Btw, noting that you have been doing many of the arms for here (good job, and my thanks) check out my newest thread that I started, seperation of heraldry between family/countries.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Thorogood Roele View Post
    Guilds would likely not have arms obviously, unless given royal charters, and the last one of those officially would have been the old guilds of the Empire. (though I would like to see them with them, and maybe some new ones, given by Dukes to their "officially sanctioned guilds" perhaps)
    I beg to differ.

The following image is the heraldry of the city of Bremerhaven, with the Hanseatic cross in a prominent position:

-Harald

Today, we were kidnapped by hill folk never to be seen again. It was the best day ever.

Blog

Yeah...isn't that where "trademark" came from, anyway? A literal mark showing which craftsman made the item, which guild he was paid up in, and so on.

I mean, I'd probably use "seal" or something because, even if the name is that old, "trademark" sounds a little too modern for the setting, but the logic is the same. I mean, there are guilds and temples that are larger than landed domains-especially those Rjurik temples-so some kind of insignia makes sense.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I'd just separate the compound words (i.e., "trade mark") to signify the guild seal. Didn't individual artisans have their own "master's mark?" Hence, excellent jewelry, arms and armor, etc. would bear a brand from its maker--as a knight is to a peasant or yeoman, so is a master tradesman to a laborer, and each has his mark.

As for temples, there is precedent for temples to have individual heraldry apart from the basic holy symbols of the particular god. Some may use ikons predominantly, or just collections of symbols of particular religious import. If Anuire, anyway, is modeled after greater Western Europe, then much of the clergy actually consists of the nobility, so each would have his own familial heraldry to associate with the church--as well as the freedom that knights have to assume new symbols upon ordination.

In the Catholic Church, the pope and I believe all of his peer bishops have their own heraldic symbols. Or maybe it's just the various dioceses...I'm not sure whether it's the people or the places/titles that these are associated with.

Special Guest (Donor)
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I think the AD&D Forgotten Realms Campaign Setting Boxed Set had some color sheets with wizard marks, maybe they can help as inspiration.

Regards

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Rowan View Post
    Didn't individual artisans have their own "master's mark?" Hence, excellent jewelry, arms and armor, etc. would bear a brand from its maker--as a knight is to a peasant or yeoman, so is a master tradesman to a laborer, and each has his mark.
    You are absolutely right. Each Master would have his individual mark

As for guilds, I could supply several heraldic patterns, but the line between information and spamming is thin...

Quote Originally Posted by Rowan View Post
    In the Catholic Church, the pope and I believe all of his peer bishops have their own heraldic symbols. Or maybe it's just the various dioceses...I'm not sure whether it's the people or the places/titles that these are associated with.
    Again, spot on.
    -Harald

Today, we were kidnapped by hill folk never to be seen again. It was the best day ever.

Blog

I think that's a Cardinal thing, but would have to look it up to be sure. It'd fir as a symbol to show the difference between Cardinals and Bishops without invalidating the importance of the ring, staff and miter.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I have an idea for guilds based on what a sign would look like over a guild door. What's not so clear is what would be on them. Doing the full domain guild is easy enough, but what would the symbols of sub units look like?

Thread Information