Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by ThatSeanGuy View Post
    So he likes the ladies with a little meat on their bones, eh?
    To be honest I didn't want to think that much about it but at 12' tall, probably pushing a ton in weight he's not for the faint hearted woman...

Downloads
    Uploads
    I suspect he keeps himself polymorphed quite often, preferring in his vanity his original, handsome human form to better play at still being just Prince Raesene and not the monstrous Gorgon.

Downloads
    Uploads
    At 09:20 PM 3/30/2008, Rowan wrote:

>I suspect he keeps himself polymorphed quite often, preferring in
    >his vanity his original, handsome human form to better play at still
    >being just Prince Raesene and not the monstrous Gorgon.

This is one of the issues that I think was overlooked when it comes
    to dealing with awn-/ehrsheghlien. Why not just morph through some
    magical means back to the original form when necessary? I don`t
    think standard magic should be able to do that. After all, the means
    of the transformation is divine. It`s a step beyond standard magic,
    so standard magic should have only a limited effect on the
    `sheghlien. Even if the Gorgon were to polymorph himself into his
    original human form I don`t think it would last more than a few
    minutes or maybe a few hours. He might appear human for a while, but
    he`d begin changing back to his monstrous form soon after the spell was cast.

Gary

Downloads
    Uploads
    There are several awnies who have this power in one form or another. The one that comes to my mind right off is the White Witch, where a ring is associated with the transformation from crone to beautiful maiden. Of course the Wintering is also described as a ring of artifact status gifted by Kriesha.

The Chimaera can also revert to her original form for short periods of time, but long enough to conduct business.

Doing something similar for old Gorgie would probabaly follow the Wintering precident. This of course raises another issue of having an epic level character. (See why the Gorgon has't won yet). Such a character would be expected to have an outrageous store of goodies. Even with various methods of keeping magic items from running wild, a 36th level character (or wherever you place him) is bound to have some items that are really useful, and something like this: magical morph back to the original form when desired.

It certainly suits his vanity to do it. Crossing over to the other thread on the Gorgon being the hero, one of the side effects of the Winterwing is making the character LG, and that would also create a Prince Raesne who might be good emperor material when in his handsome form.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I'm opposed to letting awnies use "simple" magic to turn back into their former shape (besides it smells of dragons-polyed-into-human-shape...not a concept I'm too keen on). That, IMO, defeats the purpose of their curse - great power and long life - paid for with a corruption that is not only spiritual, but actually takes physical form.

Those awnies that CAN change shape do so as part of their awnie powers...that is something very different.

So if, and only if, the Gorgon does have the means to become "human" again, it should be very limited and at great cost.
    Cheers
    Bjørn
    DM of Ruins of Empire II PbeM

Downloads
    Uploads
    Here`s the write up that I did for the use of conventional magics on
    awn-/ehrsheghlien:

COUNTERING TRANSFORMATIONS AND DISADVANTAGES

Some disadvantages can be temporarily countered by magic. The
    effects of size decrease might be altered by a Growth spell, a
    character driven insane by his transformation might be the subject of
    a Heal spell or the physical changes of an awnshegh/ershegh might be
    altered by a polymorph spell. In such cases, the effects of such
    spells are always temporary, even if the spell is normally permanent
    and for the effect to take place at all the spellcaster must overcome
    the power of the transformation to begin with.
    In order for a conventional spell to counter the effects of a
    character`s transformation the spellcaster must make an opposed roll
    using his spellcaster level as a modifier. The awnshegh or ershegh
    uses his levels in the awnshegh/ershegh character class as a modifier
    for the opposed roll. If the result of the spellcaster`s level is
    higher than that of the awnshegh/ershegh then the spell takes effect.

Even if the spell that counters a transformation or disadvantage
    takes affect it remains in effect for a number of hours longer than
    the caster`s spellcaster level less twice the number of disadvantages
    that are being countered. For example, a Heal spell cast by a 16th
    level cleric upon a character with Phobia 1, 2, 3 and 4 would remain
    in effect for 16 - (2 x 4) = 8 hours. Should an awnshegh become the
    subject of a polymorph spell or one that is meant to change his
    physical shape the spell will remain in effect for either the spell
    duration or one hour per spellcaster level less the levels of
    awnshegh character class. A 12th level spellcaster can change the
    shape of a 7th level awnshegh for five hours.

Gary

Downloads
    Uploads
    I like it - requires a check to do anything and is of limited duriation only.

I'd consider adding in two things:

If the awnie does soemthing that is a function of his blood abilities or bloodform, then the spell is imemdiately broken (say that the Gorgon suddenly felt a need to petrify someone...poof, he's amonster again). This would go well in hand with the angst/wrath/whatnot many awnies have, so if the inner monster is unleashed due to provocations of some sort, the outside monster reestabilshes itself.

Moreover, a costly spell component would also work well. I suppose a rich regent awnie might overcome this limitation...if it was gold only...but it should instead be something of VALUE to the awnie, something that it treasures. The concept being that if the semblance of humanity is to be restored, then a sacrifice must be made.
    Cheers
    Bjørn
    DM of Ruins of Empire II PbeM

Downloads
    Uploads
    I agree that even permanent transformation or other effects should not be permanent when dealing with awn/ers. I would make an exception for when a permanency spell is used.

I would simplify it a bit though. Besides normal saves and MR checks, I would have an initial oposed level check but with a Difficulty of 20. This would make it extremely difficult for an awn/ers to transform even themselves with simple magic.

I also like the idea that if they use any of their blood abilities the spell effect immediately ends. I think this should only apply on spells they cast on themselves, and possibly items they are using, though. You don't want to screw the PC's by havig an Awn/ers get around a successful polymorph, shrink, etc just by using a blood ability.

That's my 2 copper.
    When you play the game of thrones you win or you die.
    George R. R. Martin - A song of Ice and Fire

Downloads
    Uploads
    One possible cost to discourage polymorph magic is regency points - given the interest that many awnies have in boosting bloodline score making them spend RP on an hourly - or even minute by minute basis could prove a deterrent (with a higher cost for more transformed beings) to casual transformation - particularly if it exhausted their RP and they had to burn bloodline score to stay in shape. As regards permanent polymorph spells I'd expect that the corrupting effect of the awnsheghlien bloodline would make itself felt in time regardless of the power of the spells used against it.

I'd also suggest that the transformation suppresses many of the awnie's abilities as a side effect to temprarily overpowering the bloodline transformation - as a 'mortal human' for example the Gorgon would lose much of his strength, his armour, his deathly gaze etc - not something to do lightly given the power of his enemies - or even the preponderance of ambitious underlings about him.

Illusionary beauty would seem more 'natural' for an awnie than an actual transformation, it is less helpful to those monstrously transformed obviously and vulnerable to the perceptive but more in keeping with the idea of 'corruption to the core' inherent in being an awnie.

I think that the book of magecraft made some note of the awnie transformation being pervasive and 'following over' into the new form - so if the Gorgon transformed into a bull it might still have armour-plated skin and be monstrously large for example.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Keep in mind that if one makes it too difficult to alter the form of the awnie, the work-around is to just use an illusion, which effects not the form of the awnie, but the mind of the viewer. Let's assume that a scion viewer is a noble with a superior Will save, and may even possess bonuses in this regard. Transformation penalties might yet be harder for the awnie for logical reasons - though it is hard to cloud the mind of a resolute scion, it is still harder to transform the dire nature of an awnie - if it gets too hard, one logically just uses illusions to bypass this problem.

Thread Information