Downloads
    Uploads

Caelcorwynn island - what do you use it for?

Located off the southeastern coast of Aerenwe, close to both the Gulf of Coeranys and the Suidemiere, Caelcorwynn is a large, partly wooded island which has not been claimed by any regent so far. Rumours abound that it is either littered with pirates or secretly claimed by a reclusive awnshegh, every story about the island is likely to be different.
    Has anyone used it in their campaigns?
    Servant of the Most High,
    Lawgiver

Isaiah 1:17
    Learn to do good; Seek justice, Rebuke the oppressor; Defend the fatherless, Plead for the widow.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Yeah, reclusive awnshegh, or a reclusive wizard. Several classic set-ups used here. Boat wrecks, old castle, friendly host, nothing quite as it seems. Permanent Shadow world gateway. Island of undead at night. The one time I left it more or less empty no one tried for it. <sigh>
    When you play the game of thrones you win or you die.
    George R. R. Martin - A song of Ice and Fire

Downloads
    Uploads
    From my campaign:

Caelcorwynn is a large island southeast of Aerenwe. The island is shrouded in mystery and legend, for it has always been cloaked by powerful enchantments (or so sailors will tell you). Whatever the truth, the island is almost always shrouded in thick mist, and the waters are treacherous with unpredictable currents and unseen reefs. Since there are no reliable accounts of anyone visiting the island, there are many legends concerning its inhabitants, but very few facts.

Popular bards’ tales include: The Sea Witch’ island sanctuary, the home of a lost nation of elves, or the home of dread, daemon worshipping lizardmen or troglodytes. All or none of the above may be true. The only way of finding out is to send someone by ship to investigate (though this may prove fatal to the unlucky explorer).”

In that campaign the island was the home of a small group of sidhe that had lived there for ages. They were being terrorized by an awnie called the banshee that preyed on spell-casting elves. The banshee originally was a human scion that had shipwrecked on Caelcorwynn. It had the ability to move into and out of the SW and was quite the nasty litte bugger.

There were also a small town of humans on the island. Descendants of the crews of several ship-wrecks. Quite the odd community. Very few women, some half-elves (from women captured from the sidhe). The banshee had the place tightly under control and forced the inhabitants of the little town to placate him.

Edit: I made the island into two provinces, one ruled by an elven scion and the other by the banshee. Both were of very low level.
    Last edited by Green Knight; 03-26-2008 at 06:08 AM.
    Cheers
    Bjørn
    DM of Ruins of Empire II PbeM

Downloads
    Uploads
    I set it up as a pirate kingdom for a PC once, split in two provinces, but
    never went anywhere with it.

Lee.
    Last edited by Thelandrin; 05-08-2008 at 05:06 PM. Reason: AOL is a spawn of Azrai!

Downloads
    Uploads
    I've never used it, but I played with a concept for a while. I thought about having the island inhabited by humans, living in scattered villages close to the ocean. These people were descendants of the Andu - way back - but diluted by centuries of ship-wrecked sailors. The real treat was an ancient ruin in the heart of the island, where a powerful Spectre had its lair.

I toyed with having the PC's seeking out the ruins to retrieve an artefact or perhaps a scroll, but it never came into play.

Oh, yeah, and the island was constantly covered in mist and quite the navigational hazard, with strong currents driving unlucky ships onto the rocky beaches.
    -Harald

Today, we were kidnapped by hill folk never to be seen again. It was the best day ever.

Blog

Ehrshegh of Spelling Thelandrin's Avatar
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I recently used Caelcorwynn as two provinces, one wooded & one not, as a pirate isle and desolate realm of adventure. Next time, I'll probably use it as the home realm of an Elven wizard.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I've used it as the burial location and final resting place of the elven smith who created bloodsilver. His tomb, deep in the woods, was protected by a band of ghost elves.

Thread Information