Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I was looking more at the core domains/NPCs to recreate the spirit of the secrets books in an expanded boxed set book version, not the entire wiki.
    Servant of the Most High,
    Lawgiver

Isaiah 1:17
    Learn to do good; Seek justice, Rebuke the oppressor; Defend the fatherless, Plead for the widow.

Downloads
    Uploads
    At 09:07 AM 3/19/2008, Lawgiver wrote:

>How difficult would it be to convert the wiki content to a PDF that
    >could be downloaded? Then you could have a reference tool to
    >print/read with the core content of the realms in one resource
    >rather than the separate modules.

There are several programs that`ll let you print into PDF format from
    Word, so anything you can put into a formatted Word file should be
    convertable pretty easily. It just takes a few minutes of processing time.

Gary

Downloads
    Uploads
    The problem is that the wiki avoids putting data in a linear order, using links to bring readers from general to specific data. Also as a result, there is a huge amount of repetition of data. For instance the home page for each realm has a brief entry for each province, and then a longer entry on each province's own page. The more data a domain has, the more you have to chose between a large amount of data organized in a non-linear manner, or significant editing.

Downloads
    Uploads
    As someone whose skill in word runs pretty much to 'copy and paste' I'd still think a conversion wouldn't take to long - I wiki'd Danigau in a few days from recollection (barring the edits).

The duplication issue of 'taster' and 'detailed page' mostly just tells you where to post the detailed data - as long as pages are 'pockets' pasting over the summary is no problem, the issue would be when pages turn into footnotes, and footnotes of footnotes and a 2-dimensional layout becomes difficult.

Let us not mention tables...

That said much of the wiki was converted from documents to hyper-text, if you want certain realms someone a have the original document. Which in particular were you after?

Downloads
    Uploads
    It wouldn't be too hard for the computer to leave out the shorter version if a longer version existed. It shouldn't be too difficult to even keep the formatting looking the same no matter which field was used to write the data.

It would take someone with intimate knowledge of the WIKI program to be able to write the DB calls, as well as knowledge of converting the data to PDF.

It should be doable, but it could be expensive depending on what's available out there.
    When you play the game of thrones you win or you die.
    George R. R. Martin - A song of Ice and Fire

Special Guest (Donor)
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Well, the original books were printed and you'd have to finally come to a conclusion. It would be great if we all make that with wiki and PS. Someone writes a PS, we all scavenge it like a pack of ghouls, add what's missing, remove the errors, proof read it and pack to go. Those 40 pages need not be a problem.

The wiki stuff would be definite and you'd have printed material for the game.

Of course, it would be great if it were all BR original design, with logos, someone talented for drawing do the domain maps, character NPC pictures... Then, just to convert it to pdf. Hell, I'd even pay for the fonts myself to see it done.
    Rey M. - court wizard of Tuarhievel

The player secret letters can be a bit more neutral to account for any type of regent that arrives. A letter from an adviser that explains current threats to the realm can be very neutral.

I do agree the letters, no matter how much fun they are to players, are one of the smaller things that needs to be done. More important would be province descriptions, secrets and plots, full descriptions of important NPC's.

I just finished up a players secrets of Ghamoura that I wrote up from scratch. I need to get it on the Wiki at some point.

-Brian

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by bbeau22 View Post
    I do agree the letters, no matter how much fun they are to players, are one of the smaller things that needs to be done. More important would be province descriptions, secrets and plots, full descriptions of important NPC's.
    Tell me about it! I'm playing with a write up for Dhoesone and it has legions of factions and NPC's that are taking forever... I am wondering however how important full stat blocks are - level race gender, ability scores and bloodline - do people need more? Its a lot of bulk for little added value in my view.

Quote Originally Posted by bbeau22 View Post
    I just finished up a players secrets of Ghamoura that I wrote up from scratch. I need to get it on the Wiki at some point.

-Brian
    Yay! Let me know if you need help - copying the Danigau or another realm front page and tweaking it is probably the easiest way to go...

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by AndrewTall View Post
    Tell me about it! I'm playing with a write up for Dhoesone and it has legions of factions and NPC's that are taking forever... I am wondering however how important full stat blocks are - level race gender, ability scores and bloodline - do people need more? Its a lot of bulk for little added value in my view.
    I prefer a short fluff text and a quote or two from them to help develop the character, but am far less concerned about the stats. List a few recommended magical items/spells and I'm good. Lets players adapt their campaign appropriately.
    Servant of the Most High,
    Lawgiver

Isaiah 1:17
    Learn to do good; Seek justice, Rebuke the oppressor; Defend the fatherless, Plead for the widow.

Downloads
    Uploads
    In a message dated 4/2/2008 4:48:38 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
    brnetboard@BIRTHRIGHT.NET writes:

Tell me about it! I`m playing with a write up for Dhoesone and it has
    legions of factions and NPC`s that are taking forever... I am wondering however
    how important full stat blocks are - level race gender, ability scores and
    bloodline - do people need more? Its a lot of bulk for little added value in
    my view.

I`m more interested in numbers of NPCs than stat blocks-- who is in what
    faction, and what do they do there? A different piece I`m interested in is the
    family angle: who`s married (and therefore allied) to whom, and which kids
    are looking to inherit?
    Last edited by Thelandrin; 05-08-2008 at 05:10 PM. Reason: AOL = Azrai, Great, 60...

Thread Information