Quote Originally Posted by irdeggman View Post
Heredity means little to the Vos.
I'm sure gravity means little to them either, but it operates on them nevertheless. Not being aware of the mechanics of why an individual is mighty and another is weak doesn't mean that the mechanic isn't in operation. Any trait a Vos wants, desires, or admires, he either gets or does not get because of inheritance.

Blooded individual, unless they are unaware of or hide their bloodlines usually rise to positions as regents, lieutenants, or highly ranked priests or warriors.
So as I have argued all along and you have denied, the preponderance, or whatever weight you want to give to the word usually, blooded individuals rise to rule.

They have to fight to gain and maintain their positions, however, because a bloodline alone does not demonstrate right-to-rule among the Vos.
I would raise the issue of what is necessary and what is sufficient. I would say a bloodline is necessary but not sufficient. I accept that wording might allow for the non-blooded occasionally rising, because the game should be flexible, but as is already established, blooded individuals usually occupy the sweet spots.

The priests of Belinik and Kreisha have, on many occasions, transferred bloodlines from “unworthy” scions to more “deserving” recipients. . .before the unworthy one met an untimely death.”
This only says that in the 1500 years of history for the dozen or so Vos realms many examples could be cited. What is many? Two dozen? If that is the case, we're talking about 0.5-1.0% of all occasions. Since this interpretation fits the wording, its as legitimate as any other construction that fits the wording.

So, considering a transfer is involved, a great warrior who had grown old, slow, and injured, who once was worthy but is no longer worthy has to give up his bloodline to make room for the freak who stands at one end of the normal distribution curve. If you tell me that in your campaign 1% of commoners could rival the nobles because of exceptional die rolls at character creation, I'm going to shrug. The game leaves this possibility open, and I've always said I'm fine with the text reading that way.

I just think its either diminishingly rare or it really doesn't happen at all. I think they text agrees with me. I think you're overlooking key sections of the text, ignoring the spirit of the setting, and disregarding the name of the setting (and the name of the forum).

But the Vos in general do not value diplomacy at all
You made a weaker statement than I did, but used the word "but" as if to disagree.

Quote Originally Posted by Kgauck
the ability to negotiate, or avoid a fight, to use diplomacy or administration is irrelevant or even condemned.
Quote Originally Posted by irdeggman
And as I pointed out it works fine in several cultures but not as absolute for the entire setting. The Vos most notably run against this standard. Note that this absolute statement is proven false in the Vos tradition.
Actually I think my case stands up perfectly well. The text is not only easily read to support my interpretation, it supports it better than the alternative.