Downloads
    Uploads

Domain Secrets to Alamie

Hi there my name is Robert Gresham and I am curious as to wiether this site still has the same download capabilities as it did a few years ago. The reason I ask is I am the author of the Domain Secrets to Diemed sourcebook that is available for download here at birthright.net, and I am prepared (finally) to upload my domain secrets to Alamie book. On the official wiki page for Alamie you will find my work, along with chris linebarger's on Alamie. Most of this work comes from the Alamie players sourcebook Chris and I have been working on for some time. Though I did gank some artwork from google, the written work is all mine or chris's.
    My email is cardinal_malik@yahoo.com, I welcome any feedback/input anyone has regarding Alamie's publication. At the last second, I may be able to alter things based on responses. If for some reason I am still unable to upload the book to the site, email me and I will send you a copy.

Roele forever!
    "I'd like to respond first in my normal voice, and then in a high pitched, silly one."

Ehrshegh of Spelling Thelandrin's Avatar
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I don't think that the capabilities have changed for the worse, Please, by all means, upload your PS Alamie.

Regarding PS Diemed, I do have a question though. When you said that it was written "with Richard Baker", what did you mean by that?

Downloads
    Uploads
    I credit Baker because he created the world. Also because his novel Falcon and the Wolf mentions aspects of Diemed's history along with the colors and thier coat of arms. Though he didn't have any personal hand in its design. I also credit him in Alamie's front page. My friend Ewen Cummins did have some contact with Baker around 2003-2004 where some questions about Alamie's trade goods came up, hence the revelation that beef and goat are the main exports with lumber being the most prized import.
    Last edited by Cmalik; 01-11-2008 at 12:19 AM.
    "I'd like to respond first in my normal voice, and then in a high pitched, silly one."

Downloads
    Uploads
    I think that's a little misleading, personally. I think you should have credited Rich Baker, but suggesting that you wrote it "with" him implies some level of co-authorship and thus official status.

Downloads
    Uploads
    When original material is used to create by extention new material, the creator of the original work is not credited as an author. The books about James Bond written by subsequent authors do not credit Ian Fleming as an author, but rather as the creator of the character. John Gardner's Icebreaker includes the following line "Ian Fleming's Master Spy James Bond."

Scarlet is credited to author Alexandria Ripley, but is also credited (and advertised as) 'The Sequel to Margaret Mitchell's "Gone With the Wind."'

Use of the original author's name (Fleming and Mitchell) is intended to capture their existing fan base. But the author of the derivative work is clearly someone else.

The D&D books themselves have various authors. The books have their own authors, but also credit Gary Gygax and Dave Arneson as creators of original material from which the current work is derived.

Properly, this source book should be credited to Robert Gresham and Chris Linebarger based on original material by Richard Baker, or something to that effect.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Actually, credits refer to the original author for three reasons: attracting the existent fanbase (as mentioned above), giving credit (as the verb suggests) to the original author (yes, that's a legal issue), and for further marketing back at the original author - and thus the publisher. :P

Downloads
    Uploads
    Well, if PS Alamie is only new out, I think that the credits should be altered to reflect what Kgauck has suggested, as mentioning that it was written "with" Rich Baker is, as I said, misleading and actually untrue.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Thelandrin View Post
    Well, if PS Alamie is only new out, I think that the credits should be altered to reflect what Kgauck has suggested, as mentioning that it was written "with" Rich Baker is, as I said, misleading and actually untrue.
    A bit harsh - I am sure that the Cardinal's intentions were good, and certainly he did better than my failure to make any credit at all! (Although I am sure my proof-reader will note that when he responds to me )

Just a quick question, was the book uploaded to the site for download. I have looked and cannot seem to find it. I have downloaded the map, and it has been useful and would love the Secrets book to help me in my very Tuornen/Alamie centric campaign.

Thank you in advance.

Thread Information