Aerele and the Book of Laws

Two questions.

1: I am sure I had seen something that ascribed certian powers to the Book of Laws, but can't find it, can somebody give me a source?

2: What sort of defenses do you think the OIT has for their vault in Aerele? I am trying to be prepaired for whatever direction my group of players might take me.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Top regents tend to be in the 9-12 level region in the published materials, if this is also true in your campaign, then assume that over 2000 years, half the regents have been 9th to 12th level, and a few have been as high as 15th.

So this will be the best defended thing a 12th level guy can produce, augmented by 15th level defenses, probably against specific threats. Further, the book itself probably has its own defenses, such as doing severe damage to chaotic characters who touch it.

Producing much more than this requires some insight into how your campaign works. As for me, I'd have the book work like the Ark of the Covenant from Raiders of the Lost Ark, thieves would melt, turn to salt, burn to ash, or otherwise die in some biblical style taboo violators death. YMMV.

I am trying to stick more or less to canon. The characters all moved to Illien for their own reasons before meeting up. The biggest threat in the game has been Diemedian aggression (interrupted by fun spiders). None of the characters are regents but one has a close relationship with the constabulary in Illien, and another is working her way up the IHH church.

With a Diemedian invasion looking more and more imminent, they are looking for outside help, one of the things suggested is bringing Avan and the WIT temple into the mix, which would of course require a good reason for them to care. I am brainstorming ways to get them involved, and handing over the Book of Laws sounded like fun.

But it does sound like this is an adventure that might be over their heads, at least if I try to keep internal consistancy going. I should probably direct them elsewhere.

Downloads
    Uploads
    The precise nature of the Book of Laws is way beyond canon. The existence of the books of laws is about as far as canon will get you. Its a hook, you have to make of it what you will.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Canon rumour (ROE P8) notes that the book of days has been stolen - perhaps rumour is wrong in fact but right in substance and it is in fact the book of law that has been taken? If your PC's could find it - or even strong clues as to its location - then they may yet be able to bargain after-all. Of course they are likely to be bargaining with people far more powerful than they and the stakes may be very high indeed - particularly given the price of pride in Anuire.

Interesting idea

I have always wondered if this is a false rumor. Even investigating that could be quite an adventure. I have always liked the idea of reforming the Imperial Temple and have thought of this event being part of that bring together the temples or leveraging them I,to a compromise of sorts. I was thinking Haelyn Aegis would be the glue for the others. Perhaps a deal of rotating Pontiff to lead it or not.

Chris

Downloads
    Uploads
    A bit of thread necro there ;-)

In the Ruins of Empire game run by Greenknight the churches had a rotating Pontiff as head of a conclave of the major temples which was a lot of fun, if a bit tough for the first player who got the role and didn't know the back stories and alliances that many of the other players were familiar with.

So was it stolen

So if it was is it really in Aerenwe? I think thst a great place to start my players looking.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by wmwm7777 View Post
    So if it was is it really in Aerenwe? I think thst a great place to start my players looking.
    As DM, the truth in the rumour (or any of the rumours) is entirely up to you.
    For both campaigns that I have run the theft of the Book of Days as an arc, it passed through Roesone and Aerenwe, the PCs encountered the thief and / or parties tracking the thief. Both times the thief has eluded capture.
    Doyle

Thread Information