Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Djapar

Downloads
    Uploads
    I agree that complete consensus is not desireable--nor possible in a wiki which is constantly shifting--Aebrynis belongs to us now to create as we like. We just have to play nice and share as my mother used to say.

Djapar is a big continent, I'm sure there's room for domains ruled by Anuirean exiles, descendents of Masetian merchants, folks whose ancestors were imbued by Basaia and Azrai before their deaths and who knows what else. After all, bloodlines are one of the elements that makes this game so captivating and I don't want to lose them any more than the rest of you. Aebrynis is a complicated place and I don't want to shut out possibilities.

Likewise, we're writing our own fiction and if we don't want a continent full of people with wimpy 5-point bloodlines, then we come up with a (realistic) fiction as to why they don't. Perhaps the Basaian church, if it is led by caliphs endowed millennia ago with bloodlines, was taught investiture rituals long ago by the dead goddess. Maybe a strict caste system has protected royal bloodlines from strong dilution. Maybe some clever Djaparan learned how to rule up his or her bloodline independently.

In the end, we don't need (and I would argue shouldn't want) a single answer to these questions.

---------

As to cccpxepoj's comments on the Jinn, we could certainly have some Jinn working with humanity (willingly for some, perhaps unwillingly for others?) and others if not seeking to dominate them, at least trying to remain aloof. I like the idea of a goddess trapped beneath the sands and would be curious to hear more about 'heartless wizards'.

I was thinking about ways that could prevent a Cerilian wizard from coming and conquering the entire continent (though maybe that might be cool in one domain, I want to see a bit of variety and don't like all these mage-states--too much like some of the spots on the north coast of Aduria). If Jinn are closely tied to source levels and the most powerful Jinn are linked to the Manifestations of powerful sources then even powerful mages might pause before trying to siphon off power. What if jinn are a bit like dryads: tied to places of magic on the land. They cannot move too far (outside of the province perhaps?) from their sources and if the source manifestations are destroyed the jinn's physical form dissapates until the manifestation reforms.
    Last edited by Satchkep45; 05-28-2008 at 02:08 AM.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Satchkep45 View Post
    As to cccpxepoj's comments on the Jinn, we could certainly have some Jinn working with humanity (willingly for some, perhaps unwillingly for others?) and others if not seeking to dominate them, at least trying to remain aloof. I like the idea of a goddess trapped beneath the sands and would be curious to hear more about 'heartless wizards'.
    well i would like to write it all, but it would be incorrect, that is why i wrote the names of books where i read it, believe me Legend of the five Rings( or Rokugan) is worth reading, and after 4 years of studying German and Russian my English became a "little rusty".
    And yes after long period of playing(and GM-ing, cause most of my crew are birthright fans) on Cerilia i am planing to bring the two worlds together and play some major adventure around previously mentioned ideas, and at least one of my players is monitoring this site, so i'm not in the position to reveal it.

Quote Originally Posted by Satchkep45 View Post
    What if jinn are a bit like dryads: tied to places of magic on the land. They cannot move too far (outside of the province perhaps?) from their sources and if the source manifestations are destroyed the jinn's physical form dissapates until the manifestation reforms.
    Well they can move if they are bounded in specially made containers (traditionally fashioned like lamps), or if the lay lines are conecthing provinces,
    and yes i think their number should depend on source level.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Definitely, I agree that the idea of trapping the Djinn in containers is a good one. I'm thinking a bit about Sha'irs and their role in the relationship between humans and djinn. I don't like the hyper-magical Sha'ir created for Toril, they just seem to be too powerful and too magical for Aebrynis. I was looking at the origin of the word 'Sha'ir' and it appears that in Arabic it simply means 'poet.' I know poetry was and is a crucially important art form for the peoples of the Arabic penninsula and that poets were also diplomats and mediators. Perhaps Sha'irs might look something more like a cross between a druid and a bard (with poetry instead of music?) than an elemental mage. (of course, with the ability to entrap Djinn...).

Thread Information