Special Guest (Donor)
    Downloads
    Uploads

continued support in a 4E world

I just wondered what the plan was going to be when 4e comes out. Will the wiki support 4E? Will is support 3.5 as well? What about an AD&D second edition game?

Thanks

Sin

Downloads
    Uploads
    Being a labor of love, we put up what we are interested in, what we have done for our own campaigns, and what struck us as cool.

Undoubtedly, there will be people who like 4.0 and start converting strait away. I am looking forward to 4.0 as it looks like a great improvement.

To get 2e stuff on the wiki, someone has to put it there. If we can see an interest, we'll spend some time putting up stuff from published 2nd ed sources, but to really support the 2nd edition, people who like it should post their own on-going stuff.

The wiki will reflect the interests of the people who work on it. So, if you see something you're interested in that's being neglected, be bold, post, post, post.

Special Guest (Donor)
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I have all the second edition birthright materials published so the "source" material would be more interesting for me to add than the rules mechanics. Being that I'm a moderator (wizo sinister) for wotc I dabble with the rules in daily questions in posts or chats, I'm a much bigger fan of the material, I've always ran a more cinematic less rule intensive games.

You guys have done a damn good job with the rules even in situations where you may had to make a call about the world due to the new rules.

I'm not sold on 4E being to tied too much electronic support and likely some monthly fee, but I'll give it a shot.

Downloads
    Uploads
    we (the official webmasters) are trying to get some straight anwers from wotc concerning our future as official websites.

from what i understand is that we "lose" the official status and become just "another fansite" with more competition.

either case, i think we have a very strong community that will certainly add 4ed to the wiki.

BUT i think the strongest point of the wiki is that people are adding history and lore. then it really doesnt matter which game engine you use.

when the time is there we'll have to discuss on how we are going to handle it. we probably have to reorganise the whole wiki.
    Te audire non possum. Musa sapientum fixa est in aure.

Downloads
    Uploads
    We already have alternate versions of characters up, and aside from the mirror SRD, its characters and other stat blocks that determine which edition you're using. The alternate characters I have seen (and expect to see more) are alternate builds. But its only sensible that we could easily have "tabs" that allows you to select 4e, 3e, or 2e and varients within them.

The "tabs" would actually just be a table under the breadcrumbs that included the links, but really, what are tabs anyway, but links to different pages.

Ehrshegh of Spelling Thelandrin's Avatar
    Downloads
    Uploads
    We could also create categories for 2nd Ed, 3.x and 4th and simply add articles to those categories, so that people could find, say, all 2nd Ed articles at once.

Downloads
    Uploads
    All of any catageory that big would be pages and pages long.

Ehrshegh of Spelling Thelandrin's Avatar
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Well, perhaps, I doubt that we have more than 20 or 30 2nd Ed pages at most. With the jump to 4th Edition, I doubt that page is going to jump massively.

Downloads
    Uploads
    If we just put all the characters from the source material up on the wiki, which would be simple transcription, possibly even cutting and pasting if someone OCR'd the PS', we'd have a lot of pages. Adding new player material from the diehard 2e'rs would only add to the page count.

Whatever solution we adopt should be able to handle every page that would change because of edition having different pages.

Special Guest (Donor)
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I really like the idea of continuing to keep source material as one wiki, and rules material as another completely different section. Something like Source, AD&D, 3.0, 3.5, 4E.

I've noticed an impact the rules seem to have on the setting. The classic example is something like the sorcerer which was never addressed in AD&D but had to be in 3X. Adding the term "sorcerer" may be misleading to the primary source material. Not that it makes a big difference now but let's face most of us will see 4E, 5E, and 6E in our lifetimes. That's alot of new rules that could change the original intent of the AD&D writing staff.

Thread Information