Downloads
    Uploads

SF in Birthright?

What do you think about incorporating some of the creatures from Starcraft like protoss or zerg in a strictly adventurous campaign with non-blooded PC's? Of course, all of the protoss tech would be unavailable, but their wisdom based special abilities could balance them. As for what are they doing in a world cut off from the universe by the shadow world, they just came before it split off from Aebrynis! Hybernation for protoss(they are immortal, after all) and for the zerg, well frozen in ice, perhapse? Any ideas?

Ehrshegh of Spelling Thelandrin's Avatar
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Uhhhhhhh...

Well, it's your world and you can do what you like in it. Just rest assured that I would never do such a thing, as I feel that Cerilia is fun by itself and, if I was going to add anything from off-world, it would be something fantasy and likely D&D-based, not something wildly off-beam like monsters from StarCraft.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I moved this thread since it doesn't really apply to the BRCS itself - but is a more general topic that can apply to any version (eidition or house-rules) of the setting used.
    Duane Eggert

Downloads
    Uploads
    Well, was I really talking about Cerilia or Aebrynis? There are several unknown continents that could have any known or unknown creature. The point of this campaign is to strip the advanced tech and confront creatures with different strengths with magic and god-like abilities. If the campaign advances in that direction, one could even use realm magic to influence the zerg(not all spells, of course). The protoss woud be lonely individuals who offer councel to anyone with the same goal as them. The reason I needed help is because I have a pretty unusual party: a young centaur, a human swashbuckler, elven rogue and a protoss with amnesia. All that he has is his armor (light), PSI blades (which I treat as light weapons for the purposes of two-weapon fighting, but otherwise as longswords), and plasma shield which is generated through the cristal in his armor (bonus to AC like monk and 20 points of dmg reduction which is completely bypassed by magic, and if all 20 points are absorbed the shield shuts down for the day and he loses his monk-like AC bonus), but he has only 2D8 HD of hit points which is bad because he's a 4th level character eqivalent. So I think it's a completly balanced creature for the party as wierd as this. Now, the question is how do I make the zerg? As an insect or an abomination? Their collective mind (not the overmind, but one of the cerebrates that fell along with the protoss) makes them ideal for insects, oversized perhaps but still the same, but their structures could be treated as abominations. Help?

Downloads
    Uploads
    Expedition to the Barrier Peaks as a whole principle for a campaign.

Downloads
    Uploads
    All sorts of things could live on other continents, or flee the shadow world as the taint of the cold rider reaches some formerly bright far-flung corner. If the race can be integrated easily - magic/psi/blood replacing technology - and has a good culture and interest factor then go for it...

I'd generally keep technology in check in a game as unless artificially restricting spin-offs and available resources a technologically advanced race will tend to stomp its neighbours barring some serious disadvantage - and the neighbours in this case are the rest of Cerilia we all know and love.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I once started work on a basic D&D Campaign, which revolved fighting a Formian Colony. It was a high magic game with magic being similar to modern Technology; this gave it a Starship Troops feel. The game was a bit silly. It was hard to run a Sci-Fi Scenario seriously in a Fantasy setting. In making the Zerg, I would tweak the Insect monsters from the Monster Manual. Perhaps keep the same abilities but come up with different Fluff reasons on how the abilities work.

Downloads
    Uploads
    At 03:46 AM 11/22/2007, Nikola wrote:

>What do you think about incorporating some of the creatures from
    >Starcraft like protoss or zerg in a strictly adventurous campaign
    >with non-blooded PC`s? Of course, all of the protoss tech would be
    >unavailable, but their wisdom based special abilities could balance
    >them. As for what are they doing in a world cut off from the
    >universe by the shadow world, they just came before it split off
    >from Aebrynis! Hybernation for protoss(they are immortal, after all)
    >and for the zerg, well frozen in ice, perhapse? Any ideas?

Incorporating whole new races, presumably in large numbers, maybe
    with their own realms, etc. sounds implausible to me. At least, if
    you`re going to keep things on Cerilia, that is. If PCs travel to
    another continent then anything is possible, though anything with a
    very high tech would be difficult to justify.

For individual or small numbers of NPCs, however, things are pretty
    wide open. Specific individuals can be inspired by or come from very
    strange sources. The origins of the Magian and the Raven, for
    instance, show the diversity of BR characters. The inspiration of
    characters like the Gorgon are broad too. I`m not quite sure what
    the Gorgon is transforming into but he bears only a passing
    resemblance to the D&D and mythological creatures that have born that
    name, so whatever his basic inspiration might have been is up for
    grabs. Other BR characters are similarly "alien." For example,
    Rhoubhe Manslayer`s transformation is very strange. What is he
    becoming? Some sort of weird, laser bolt shooting Vulcan.... We
    have a Frankenstein creature in the Binman. The offspring of the
    Hydra and the Sphynx could constitute new races of creatures that
    parallel those of a few non-BR settings.

Gary

Thread Information