Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Assassins

Downloads
    Uploads

Assassins

Where would you put an Assassin's Guild that is to become a long term enemy for the PCs? I would think either Anuire or Brechtur as the only likely places. Maybe El-hadid from Ilien? I toyed with the idea of Tournen, within the capital city Haes. The government within Tuornen is fractured and being surrounded by enemies plus the Sword and Crown adventure taking place there I think it could work. Where else?

Steve

Downloads
    Uploads
    I'd say that the Khinasi should also be able to have a large assassins guild (in addition to the sons of the serpent) - I expect that a Khinasi ruler who avoided a large war which would kill thousands by assassinating his foe would be lauded not praised - the opposite would likely occur in Anuire where noble war is considered something to be proud of.

In Anuire the assassins need a major city (to hide in and earn commissions), Endier is an obvious example - its the centre of a huge trading network and Enderien traders could be expected to turn up anywhere. The alternative would be the City of Anuire itself - it's huge, full of people with money and likely sees a lot of traffic. Ghoere might also have a guild - although it would likely have an accommodation of sorts with the Baron - unless formed of those he defeated who now seek revenge by undermining his regime...

Downloads
    Uploads
    Anuire lends itself for a more low-profile, despicable sort of organization, whereas one can expect that, in Brechtür, the whole arrangement would generally be a lot more known, and perhaps more accepted.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by AndrewTall View Post
    Ghoere might also have a guild - although it would likely have an accommodation of sorts with the Baron - unless formed of those he defeated who now seek revenge by undermining his regime...
    I like the part of being composed of enemies of the baron. Possibily setting up a place for a Neutral PC Assassin; sort of a meaner/grittier Robin Hood campaign. Maybe PC Assassin's guild to play the Resistance to Baron Ghore's Third Reich?

Has anyone tried playing evil PCs within the BRCS? Any luck with it?

Steve

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by AndrewTall View Post
    In Anuire the assassins need a major city (to hide in and earn commissions), Endier is an obvious example - its the centre of a huge trading network and Enderien traders could be expected to turn up anywhere.
    Endier has always confused me a little. The Player's Secret book talks about organized crime within it but distances itself from the Regent. However, one of the plots involves the heads of the crime family being arrested and forcing the Regent to walk a delicate political line. I don't quite understand why? I mean if Guilder Kalien replaced the head of the crime family what is the problem? Execute them and be done with it. However, if he didn't then is he subject to their whims? He doesn't appear to be the puppet guildmaster type.

Steve

Downloads
    Uploads
    Once your organization gets big enough, you begin to have underlings, especially those who are not direct reports, who get out of line. Kalien might have some minor official who has gone too far in one respect or another. As such, he is responsible, but doesn't want to advertise the unsavory types who occupy some posts somewhere in the guild organization.

This raises the interesting quandary for hybrid domains. The more kinds of holdings the more likely that you have zealots of one kind or another that offend and disturb members of the organization elsewhere.

Kalien doesn't want to be blamed for every act of brigandry, espionage, or bribery that happens on the South Coast or the Heartlands, so he wants his crime bosses to keep within certain bounds and maintain a low profile. When someone gets the spotlight turned on them, Kalien is forced to walk that delicate line. He can't throw the crime boss under the horse cart, or he looses loyalty in a significant portion of the guild sector he controls (perhaps including a minor loss of regency for turning against the crime boss), on the other hand he compromises his espionage and crime organizations if he acknowledges just how much corruption he is responsible for. He wants everyone to think this is one bad apple in the Kalien organization, and to regard the bunch as fresh and wholesome.

Downloads
    Uploads

Evil PCs?

Steve

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by stv2brown1988 View Post

Steve
    I have DMed an evil campaign set in the City of Brechlen. The players were thieves in a small guild looking to expand their opperations. I had a small assassin guild as well. Brechlen is a good city for this type of thing as it has a high population and it is a major sea port in Brechtur and all of Cerilia.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I put an Assassin guild in Endier. It's the commercial hub - trade routes to everywhere - up and down the river - Personally I had Guilder Kalien with a sinister hand in it - to protect his own interests (and plenty of profits to be had). Obviously he has no traceable ties to it... (The rumours of the Shadowblades persist despite his denials). No NO there is absolutely no such criminal organisation in Endier. There have been no assassinations here - just an unfortunate series of accidents.

If you want a more sinister plot there are a couple of evil figures in the histories that seem to have disapeared - (Diabolyx may be one of them off hand) they were on the side of evil at Diesmar and I couldn't find dates of death (I haven't read all the novels though). You can wack an evil guy or two in that dissapeared a few centuries ago in as the sinister puppet masters behind several guilds - once your players start to mess with a few other guilds they might wind up running into a few of his minions and apparently get double teamed by two guilds. (used some high powered vampire powers converted to blood powers - yes the blood of scions is very tasty.)
    Last edited by Gman; 11-19-2007 at 05:32 AM.

Don't forget Cariele. In the game I play Mheallie she has a very nice squad of professionals she uses for all sorts of things. It would be highly possible that she, in some other game, set up an independent guild. I could even see a church of Sarimie or Eloele forming such a guild.

Thread Information