Thread: Leadership...

Downloads
    Uploads

Leadership...

I was thinking out the Leutenants and Leadership feat. Particullay the level requirement for the ledership feat (6th) and the fact that there are several regents below that level in the BCRS.

I was thinking about letting the Blooded Scion feat equal the Leadership feat within my campaigns. I would still keep the no cohort greater than PC ECL-2 and would add that no followers could be greater than that level well. This would allow a 3rd cleric with a high charisma to have several 1st level followers and no cohort, however the followers cannot gain XP or levels so they would only be really helpful on a single adventure or at most two.

My reasoning is that blooded individuals are rare and when encountered are usually given leadership positions, whether willingly or unlnowingly.

What do you think?

Steve

Ehrshegh of Spelling Thelandrin's Avatar
    Downloads
    Uploads
    It's an interesting idea, but do remember that Nobles get Leadership at 3rd-level anyway.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I believe the Count of Ilien was a 5th lvl wizard. He is in a battle for sources with the High Mage of Aerenwe. I could not see him multiclassing into any prestige class. As a wizard he has only very few feats as is. One is used for Blooded Scion and another for Battle Magic (most likely), I think that only leaves him one. It was his case that started me thinking about combining the Blooded Scion feat and the Leadership feat. Do you feel the Noble class would lose it's appeal if these feats were combined? (I've never played a Noble myself.)

Steve

Downloads
    Uploads
    Rogr may not have the leadership feat, but as regent of a domain he can still employ minions. He'd be more likely get someone loyal personally (rather than simply loyal to the crown/paycheck) with the leadership feat but the lack isn't crippling for him.

If changing the scion mechanics from a ability score/feat system to a full class system I'd add leadership as a freebie fairly early on. Whether this is do-able under 4e depends heavily on the new magic system - making a class to beef up either a fighter or spellcaster is very difficult under 3.5e.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by AndrewTall View Post
    Rogr may not have the leadership feat, but as regent of a domain he can still employ minions. He'd be more likely get someone loyal personally (rather than simply loyal to the crown/paycheck) with the leadership feat but the lack isn't crippling for him.
    Good point. I was looking into more adventuring companions for him. The life expectancy of a 5th level wizard can be measured in rounds not turns, unless he has someone to tank for him. It's so hard to hire good cannon fodder these days.

Steve

Downloads
    Uploads
    I keep leadership at 6th level. Cohorts and followers are personally loyal.

Lieutenants are loyal to the realm, they could actually dislike you personally. The realm has other servants who may like you, dislike you, be indifferent to you.

It is the realm in effect that has lieutenants, and the level of the ruler is irrelevant. The rulebook includes a suggestion that lieutenants have no more than 2 levels your senior, or as they elaborate in the Book of Regency, such characters ought to be advisors instead. This is because if you adventure to recover the lost scepter of your grandfather, having a much higher level character with you makes the adventure hard to run, its either too easy, because you have superman with you, or very dangerous because the adventure is more the lieutenant's power level and a stray blast could eliminate the rest of the party.

I prefer running multi-generational games, and end up with high level characters and the children of missing party members (research, travel, separate missions). So the higher level lieutenants don't present any new problems.

Characters, no matter their titles or the domains they rule, won't develop personally loyal cohorts and followers until they have the personal prowess to attract same.

Downloads
    Uploads
    What is the highest level of PCs you have ever played/DM'ed through the BCRS?

Steve

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by stv2brown1988 View Post
    I was thinking out the Leutenants and Leadership feat. Particullay the level requirement for the ledership feat (6th) and the fact that there are several regents below that level in the BCRS.

I was thinking about letting the Blooded Scion feat equal the Leadership feat within my campaigns. I would still keep the no cohort greater than PC ECL-2 and would add that no followers could be greater than that level well. This would allow a 3rd cleric with a high charisma to have several 1st level followers and no cohort, however the followers cannot gain XP or levels so they would only be really helpful on a single adventure or at most two.

My reasoning is that blooded individuals are rare and when encountered are usually given leadership positions, whether willingly or unlnowingly.

What do you think?

Steve
    Check out Chapter 8, there are variants there. One specifically for this purpose.

Variant: Early Leadership
    Regent characters are forced to act as leaders immediately. Regent characters may ignore the normal character level prerequisites for the Leadership feat. Any regent character may take the Leadership feat as early as 1st level.

Scions are born to lead. A scion’s leadership score is modified based on the number of scion class levels he has. Furthermore, a regent may add one-tenth of the sum of his province and non-source holding levels in his domain power to his leadership score (this replaces the "strong-hold bonus" and represents the regent’s position-based prestige). Scions with obvious powers may also qualify for the +1 "special power" modifier to Leadership. A regent who makes a name for himself as an individual (rather than simply as the head of his domains) may also gain additional bonuses for his personal prestige (as per the standard guidelines in the
    Dungeon Master’s Guide

Duane Eggert

Quote Originally Posted by stv2brown1988 View Post
    What is the highest level of PCs you have ever played/DM'ed through the BCRS?

Steve
    I DM'ed this party from 1st to 9th levels in BR 2e, then drag them to 11th in BR 3e.
    PC scions, then regents:
    male Vos Rgr10, CG
    female Khinasi Ftr2/Wiz9, NE

their lieutenants:
    male Brecht Rog6/Rgr2, NE
    female elf Rog2/Wiz7, CN
    male Brecht Ftr6/(equivalent of kensai)1, LN
    male small goblin Adp (then Drd) 6, CN
    male medium goblin Ftr2/Rog3, LE

It was great zoo on fire in the times of flood.
    No Leadership feat, all were acquired "in-game". Party ended up in Imperial City, having diplomatic talks with Chamberlain about high-level spells.

Thread Information