Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Mebhaighl

Hybrid View

Downloads
    Uploads
    If mebhaighl was used to enhance a spell, what would be its effect, both good and bad?
    Cattle die and kinsmen die,
    thyself too soon must die,
    but one thing never, I ween, will die, --
    fair fame of one who has earned.
    HAVAMAL

Downloads
    Uploads
    Orginally posted by blitzmacher
    If mebhaighl was used to enhance a spell, what would be its effect, both good and bad?
    Try reading pg 81-82 in the Rulebook. Its the basic element of realm spells. Normal spells may use meibhaighl, but not in any measurable quantity. If you try to pool or channel meibhaighl into a spell the result is a Realm Spell.
    Servant of the Most High,
    Lawgiver

Isaiah 1:17
    Learn to do good; Seek justice, Rebuke the oppressor; Defend the fatherless, Plead for the widow.

Birthright Developer
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Like Lawgiver said, Mebhaighl isn't used for normal spells - it's used for realm magic, not for "enhancing" a spell in any way.
    Jan E. Juvstad.

Downloads
    Uploads
    How much Mebhaighl is used in casting a realm spell? If its only a little bit, then why do some realm spells require higher source levels? What happens if you use less Mebhaighl for spells than the weakest realm spell, but more than the strongest normal spell?

How did Realm spells come about? Who discovered Mebhaighl? How is Mebhaighl used in casting Realm Spells? What qualities does Mebhaighl have? How else are realm spells different than normal spells? Is Mebhaighl expended when used?
    Explain how this is a signature, its not my handwriting.

The hardest part was teaching the bunnies to hug. -Duke Phillips

Birthright Developer
    Downloads
    Uploads
    That tack, eh? The standard answer is: It's magic. You can't quantify or weigh it. You certainly shouldn't try to apply 20th-century logic to it, or pretty soon, someone will devise the "T-Ford Factory" realm spell.

Mebhaighl is defined as the power of the land, ebbing and flowing with the nature of the land and even its current state. Realm spells are the result of wizards channeling the power of the land to achieve spectacular results through great and lengthy rituals, not through empowering the wizard's normal spells. I.e. a realm spell is simply a wizard bending a much greater power to his will; such things take time, power and patience above all else.

It is likely that elves knew of the power of mebhaighl long before Deismaar, but were unable to harness it for any purpose as they were not powerful enough. With the coming of bloodlines, it is again likely that elves and men alike discovered a new bond with the land, that allowed them to harness the very power of the land itself for great effects.

You can't really "use up" mebhaighl; rather, I'd say you are shaping it. You can diminish it, but never use it up.

In short, mebhaighl is a power of its own, and has nothing to do with regular spells.
    Jan E. Juvstad.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I just went through the rulebook and it doesn't say that it couldn't be used to enhance normal spells, only that greater results could be achieved through realm spells.
    If you read your BR history the elves knew well the power of mebhaighl before Mount D-Day, but afterwards the power of the land was changed and the knowledge of magic lessened. Thats why magic items are rare, because the knowledge is all but gone.
    The ability to enhance spells with mebhaighl is there, to deny it would be to deny realm magic itself, but it must be balanced.
    HAVAMAL

Birthright Developer
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Of course it doesn't say. It also doesn't list all the other things not specifically prohibited, such as using mebhaighl radiation to create mutant monsters in a savage wasteland of psionic-using ... oh wait, that's another world, or to create rockets and fly to the moon, or drill for oil in the persian gulf, or teach an illiterate person how to read. The text states what mebhaighl does, period. Anything beyond that, is beyond what mebhaighl does. The wizard casts realm spells by acting as a conduit for the land's power. That is the extent of game mechanics tied to mebhaighl.

Which BR history are you referring to? Please cite source and page number, and I will peruse it if I have access to the pertinent materials. Your account sounds acceptable, however, and certainly fits a generic fantasy image of magic.

The thing is, you don't "cast spells" with mebhaighl - mebhaighl is the power of the land, which you channel into specific effects. Spells are nowhere stated in the D&D rules to require any specific form of energy to function; they simply work.
    Jan E. Juvstad.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Of course it doesn't say. It also doesn't list all the other things not specifically prohibited, such as using mebhaighl radiation to create mutant monsters in a savage wasteland of psionic-using ... oh wait, that's another world, or to create rockets and fly to the moon, or drill for oil in the persian gulf, or teach an illiterate person how to read. The text states what mebhaighl does, period. Anything beyond that, is beyond what mebhaighl does. The wizard casts realm spells by acting as a conduit for the land's power. That is the extent of game mechanics tied to mebhaighl.

Don't be dense, where have I heard that before?

The thing is, you don't "cast spells" with mebhaighl - mebhaighl is the power of the land, which you channel into specific effects. Spells are nowhere stated in the D&D rules to require any specific form of energy to function; they simply work.

Thank you for proving my point, you just stated in that one paragraph my idea exactly.

Which BR history are you referring to? Please cite source and page number.

It may take me a few days to find, but I'll give it a go.
    HAVAMAL

Birthright Developer
    Downloads
    Uploads

Don't be dense, where have I heard that before?

This comment seems rather odd. Everything in the D&D rules has a defined function - things involving magic in particular has strict limitations on their use; a magic missile spell can't be used to break down a wall or a door, for instance.

Thank you for proving my point, you just stated in that one paragraph my idea exactly.

That you can't "improve" spells with mebhaighl, since mebhaighl isn't technically "spellcasting?"

Which BR history are you referring to? Please cite source and page number.

It may take me a few days to find, but I'll give it a go.

Tsk. Don't try to play authority figure without having the sources ready in advance.
    Jan E. Juvstad.

Downloads
    Uploads
    That you can't "improve" spells with mebhaighl, since mebhaighl isn't technically "spellcasting?"

I never said it was spellcasting, Just that this potent magical energy could be channelled into normal spells.

Tsk. Don't try to play authority figure without having the sources ready in advance.

How rude.
    HAVAMAL

Thread Information