Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Downloads
    Uploads

Systems other then D & D

I have been thinking about using a system other then D&D 3.5 for the Birthright campain setting. The one I've thinking about using is the Game of Thrones D20 system, which is similar but does not have a magic system and fewer hitpoints, making it significantly grittier. Before I jump into this I want to know what were other people's experiences with different systems in the Birthright world? What works well in your game and what were the problems? Any insight would be helpful.

Special Guest (Donor)
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirk View Post
    I have been thinking about using a system other then D&D 3.5 for the Birthright campain setting. The one I've thinking about using is the Game of Thrones D20 system, which is similar but does not have a magic system and fewer hitpoints, making it significantly grittier. Before I jump into this I want to know what were other people's experiences with different systems in the Birthright world? What works well in your game and what were the problems? Any insight would be helpful.
    I grew tired of 3E myself because of how bloated it's become. I wanted a game that focused on story, not every tiny detail of the rules. More time was spent on the rules than the story. To me, that ain't right.

So now i play Castle & Crusades. Think of it as AD&D but with a d20-ish mechanic. It's a very slick and flexible system. Most importantly, it's not so bloated that you can actually focus on role-playing.

It's also very easy to adapt previous editions to it. In fact, just today i was talking with another fan about a Birthright conversion for C&C.

I don't know anything about Game of Thrones, so i don't know what level of complexity you're looking for. If you want a fast and flexible system, go to the Troll Lord message boards and ask around- friendly lot over there.

-Fizz

Downloads
    Uploads
    check out the thread

http://www.birthright.net/forums/showthread.php?t=3880

posted just a few months ago.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I've used RQIII in the past, and am currently using MRQ. It's been easy to convert, and its magic system fits in much better. I think for any campaign setting to really survive, it needs to be converted to as many gaming systems as possible. The more people that can play, the better.
    Cattle die and kinsmen die,
    thyself too soon must die,
    but one thing never, I ween, will die, --
    fair fame of one who has earned.
    HAVAMAL

I will be using Warhammer Fantasy RP for it. Warhammer doesn't have the same kind of power growth that D&D does so the PCs will never be able to singlehandedly take on armies and conquer neighboring realms.

The conversions for blood abilities were easy. I need to sit down and do the conversions for the realm spells but after that I am done. One downside is I am using the old 2E system for running a domain with the 3E taxing system in place of rolling taxes for each individual domain.

I also had to figure out how to transfer over the idea that fighters are better at law domains, thieves at guild domains, etc which was very hard because Warhammer has careers and not jobs. In the end I just decided to play it by ear for the most part.

Downloads
    Uploads
    On a more general note - some gamesystems tend to lend themselves to high or low fantasy settings. Gritty reality vs High magic heroics. This can just be in mood or in the mechanics as well.

I've posted before that Rune Quest is good for gritty low magic campaigns - I have been using it for a Lord of the Rings game for years.

Warhammer roleplaying would suit B/R fairly well too but I haven't seen a copy of it around for ages. The magic system should convert more easily than RQ too.

So pick what style of game you want to run for your players in the BR setting and go with a system that lends itself to the mood and style of that game.

Remember too that whatever the expectations are of the players when approaching that game - I.e. if they are used to D&D forgotten Realms it will be harder to break them out of those expectations and concepts when using the same game system than if you get them to try a new game system.
    + if you have D&D rules lawyers as players then a new game system helps out again.

Of course if you have a bunch of table top warhammer players that have never roleplayed then they will probably approach B/R warhammer roleplaying with all the political sophistication of a sledgehammer or should that be warhammer.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Gman View Post
    Of course if you have a bunch of table top warhammer players that have never roleplayed then they will probably approach B/R warhammer roleplaying with all the political sophistication of a sledgehammer or should that be warhammer.
    And this differs to the approach of experienced roleplayers in what respect?

Downloads
    Uploads
    Thanks guys for your input. I think I’ll look into the systems you all mentioned. Sorry about the bad grammer,

There is an old webpage with a fuzion based system for Birthright there:

http://www.devermore.net/birthright/...ghtfuzion.html

The D20 based systems in Conan or A Game of Throne would work with minimal changes, as they are D20, but with a much smoother power progression, as the HP/level drops to 3 rapidly (spells would need some rebalancing to cope with the lower HP).

Howdy,

First post in some time, so a bit rusty and please be kind.

I never trusted 3rd Ed even before it came out. One look at the art and this Old Grogard (playing when there were only 3 channels on TV, yeesh I'm old) thought "Yeup, the anime/video game-hero wannabes are going to love this one. I see pseudo-bondage gear and I can predict where its going. I actually liked alot of the concepts: a fairly rational skill system, feats are cool, and the character classes were old scholl or well thought out. However the weapons race was on with kewl prestige classes, total lack of disadvantages to balance out the feats, and the potential for characters to eventually give God fits. Even 2nd Ed. at it's worse only scatched this level. However, to be fair any GM with a spine and some people skills can control the excesses.
    But why have to? D20 is not broke, only bent towards a certain direction. A Game Of Thrones RPG does a fair job of doing away with the worst of the excess, as does the Conan RPG. Several Green Ronin setting such Thieve's World RPG and the Black Company RPG create magic systems (the BC RPG's is particularly fascinating) or rules that balance things out nicely. Mongoose and Green Ronin also produce a series of source books and campaign setting guides for the Middle Ages and Ancient World that give rule and character class suggestions that create a real gritty feel. All in the D20 system to boot. Frankly I was amazed at how they felt so "different" from each other, while each also created a real flavor to the setting.
    All these RPGs also make combat brutal, fast, and often just deadly enough to make even fairly high level characters wary of just plunging in for a few xps, all the while being close enough to D20 standard to make it easy to adjust. Better is the attitude fostered: The fight had better be over something danged important (like my own neck...)! The ambush rules for the military oriented BCRPG are particularly nasty (I use 'em: let four 1hd goblins take out a 5th lvl Knight in two rounds, and the Knight roled decent).
    All of this kinda lends to a greater emphasis of ROLE playing. Nothing speaks like death or really nasty side effects for throwing too much magic (Demon: We've come for your daughter, Chuck...). This means you play smart, use diplomacy, depend on good tactics, do a little bribery...you know, act like a ruler.
    After all this I use anything BUT standard D20, and a mish-mash of the rules of the above mentioned. My 5 bucks.

Thread Information