Hybrid View

Downloads
    Uploads

Militant Order of Cuiraécen

Discussion thread for Militant Order of Cuiraécen. If you would like to add a comment, click the Post Reply button.
    Last edited by Thelandrin; 09-29-2007 at 06:09 PM. Reason: Corrected link to point to actual page.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Okay, I just started here, it's my first try with the wiki and there's not much here yet - and some things are still wrong from using other templates/Boilerplates.
    However I really wanted to add a table for non-landed holdings as a template, you know with the headings
    Holding - Level - Province/Ratings - Domain/Ruler
    but I just couldn't get this darn thing to work.

Please help! (and explain what you did, so I might learn a bit)

As an afterthought, I really think we need a template for non-landed domains, at least I couldn't find one. However, as should be obvious I know next to nothing about creating wikis, so I definitely can't do this.
    Any takers?
    Last edited by Beruin; 09-28-2007 at 03:05 AM. Reason: Added an afterthought

Downloads
    Uploads
    The tables that normally indicate holdings for provinces etc use a {{Domain/Begin}} template and a {{Domain/End}} template call. The first template sets the headings and defines the table styles and supposedly uses another style as well (but I can't find that one). The second just closes the table off.

cf. http://www.birthright.net/brwiki/ind...e:Domain/Begin
    cf. http://www.birthright.net/brwiki/ind...ate:Domain/End

So if you want to set your own headings you will either have to write your own {{Holdings/Begin}} template or manually cut and paste the relevant stuff from the {{Domain/Begin}} one. For instance:

{| {{BRWiki: Domain/Table}}
    ! Holding !! Level !! Province/Ratings !! Domain/Ruler
    |-
    ||Joe's Taverns || 2 || Roesone || Ghoried/Joe
    |-
    ||Josie's Haberdashery || 3 || Roesone || Roseone/Josie

|width=5|
    |}

See this in action at http://www.birthright.net/brwiki/ind...Wiki:Sandbox/2

However, people so far have generally just used the domain style, even if it gives information about holdings not related to the organisation/individual being discussed in the article. What is it that you want that this style won't show? Or is it a matter of clarity and relevancy?

For more help on understanding BRWiki tables, see http://www.birthright.net/brwiki/index.php/Help:Table

Sorontar

Downloads
    Uploads
    Thanks Sorontar, that helped. I tried a few things you mentioned, but just couldn't get them to work right. Well, still learning..

As for the format, I believe this is clearer and it removes unnecessary clutter from the table (i.e. guild holdings for a temple). This makes it clearer, especially for larger non-landed domains stretching over several realms

Downloads
    Uploads
    I prefer the clutter. The format used the BoP has too little information. I prefer to use the realm format for all organizations because you can see at a glance who the domain interacts with, not just who has title to the land.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I should've put " unnecessary clutter" in quotation marks I guess, of course the information is not useless. However, my reasoning for preferring the format for other holdings - used not only in BoP, but also in the atlas and the other regional books - is that it's easier to see the geographical spread of a particular non-landed domain over several realms and to notice where it is strong and where weak.

That's usually the first information I want to know, whether as player or DM. To then see with whom the domain interacts, I'd consult the relevant realm entries.

Should we do a poll to keep the format consistent in the wiki or is this not that important?

Downloads
    Uploads
    In a message dated 9/30/2007 5:42:58 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
    brnetboard@BIRTHRIGHT.NET writes:

Here are two more reasons I prefer the domain format to the realm format:

I`m going to agree with this, I`d like to see both formats, too.

Lee.

************************************** See what`s new at http://www.aol.com

Downloads
    Uploads
    Re: the inconsistency in descriptive initials.

We talked about this on the moderator threads but didn't really come to a conclusion (unless I forgot it).

Some domains are dominated by the regent, some are at least popularly known by the name of the organisation. Would you call a wizard source network 'TSR: The Silver River (Erin Romiene)' or 'ERo:Erin Romiene (The Silver River)' - which do you think would have more meaning to the average man in the street?

Churches would imo probably be known by the organisation which has stood for centuries - although some might be better known for a messiah like leader. Similarly law holdings could be known for the regent 'Tannen's Band' or the name of the order 'The Imperial Guard'.

Personally I'd go for the initials of the most important party as far as outsiders are concerned to represent the holding, and always use 3 letters (it reduces the risk of duplication). Where a regent is deliberately hiding their nature I'd use the organisation name.

In terms of information for a non-realm domain write up, I'd want to know not just my seasonal income, but growth opportunities (maximum size, rival holdings) and also potential allies and enemies - so I'd want the full monty realm-style write up.

This wouldn't actually take long.

You have 2 versions of the wiki open. In one you are editing the domain, in the other you bounce in and out of realms to copy and past rows from the realm holding summary. Should be fairly easy - just copy the whole thing and cut out the irrelevant lines...

Abbreviations of names are used for landed regents, guild regents, and wizards. Temples are abbreviated using the name of the organization.

I think the main point to remember is that it is best if no two regents share the same descriptive initials. The preferred abbreviation uses the first letter of a regent's first and last names (SE for Suris Enlien, DA for Darien Avan, MB for Mheallie Beiron, OT for Orthien Tane, etc) with priority going to landed regents if two or more regents share the same initials (Aeric Boeruine is AB and Arien Borthein is Bor) to avoid confusion.

Wizards are usually abbreviated using their first name (Fh for Fhileraene, Is for Isaelie, He for Hermedhie, Rg for Regien) or the mantle by which they are known (SM for Sword Mage, Sw for Swamp Wizard, Sw2 for Swamp Wizard II, TBM for Three Brother Mages).

Exceptions abound but I cannot claim to know the reasons why for some of them (Daeric Mhoried is Mh (his title is the "Mhor"), the wizards Daeric Dhoesone and Torele Anivaras are DD and TA, respectively).

As far as I can tell, temples are the only organizations whose descriptive initials use the orginazational name over the regent's.
    Last edited by Magnus Argent; 10-06-2007 at 11:04 PM.

Thread Information