Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Perhaps not Gandalf but a lesser wizard may because they have no other means of raising money. Although I do think that people came to Gandalf and asked him to do things I don't think he did it for free.
    Lord Eldred
    High Councilor of the
    United Provinces of Cerilia
    "May Haelyn bring justice to your realm"

Downloads
    Uploads
    I think Gandalf takes VISA and Mastercard :P Or maybe he's above such matters, being a Maiar and all ;)
    Cheers
    Bjørn
    DM of Ruins of Empire II PbeM

Downloads
    Uploads
    Orginally posted by Mark_Aurel

Even Gandalf was part of an "order" of wizards; however, that was not an "order" that took it on itself to teach fledgeling mages and magicians, but more like a fraternity of sorts.

I don't really like the implementation of the College in the BoM - it makes magic something that can be taught for a price, not something that comes only to a few, and must be _learned_ at a heavy cost.
    Gandalf is one of the Maiar, as are the rest of the Wizards of Middle-Earth. Not excatly your run-of-the-mill Anuirean magician.

As for the College, I see magicians gatherring there, but true wizards? Why would they spend their time concerned with making money when they can play with mebhaighl instead? Beats me :)
    Cheers
    Bjørn
    DM of Ruins of Empire II PbeM

Downloads
    Uploads
    While I like wizard guilds in other game worlds (Forgotten Realms) and other games (Mage the ascencion) I don't think they are in flavor with the Birthright game setting.

I am in favor of a wizard having an apprentice or 2 (possibly more) to help maintain his holdings and perform more mundane magical functions. I think that this mentor student system would end as soon as the student found a way to become blooded and tap sources. Most Wizard regeants seem to be in oppostion to each other simply for the sake of power alone. After all what do more sources get you except more regency and the ability to cast realm magic in more provinces. Therefore I don't think that more than one truly powerful mage would work together and form a guild of mages (PCs and the College in Anuire could be possible exceptions).
    The lower number of Magic-Users in the BR campaign setting does not in general support the formation of guilds. Using Mage the ascencion as a guide for the flavor of guilds one could conclude that the main reason for forming a guild of wizards would be to appose other wizards. There simply aren't enough wizards in BR to necesitate wizards banding together against each other. Medore would IMO be the most logical place for a guild of mages but I don't recall one in the PC secrets book. In fact I can't recal any apprectices listed for any True Wizard in the PC secrets books. Maybe I missed one?

It is fantasy so anything is possible, but other than the college in the city of Anuire I havn't seen any references to groups of mages in BR.

Regards
    Randy
    Regards,
    Randy

Downloads
    Uploads
    How do Khinasi wizards judge each other? Who administrates their tests?

I think its fine if a group of wizards or magicians want to work together, with whatever kind of holdings they want, just like other classes. Wizards tend to be loners, but some have close allies and partners (i.e. 3 Brothers Mages).

If wizards or magicians want to spend their time and effort making money, then they should be allowed to. If they wish to do this with others of similar mindsets, then they should also be allowed to. If they begin to provide services that other guilds cannot do, then they should do so if that'll turn more profit. Not all wizards are scholars.

The idea that magic-using capabilities can be bought is funny, but isn't improbable. Their could be entrance tests and mystical checks to gauge the potential of the applicant. Then, they could be taught certain things in a classroom setting, such as magical language, recognition and spellcraft, history and properties, or theory. Then, they can have a more personal "lab"-type setting, wherein they learn spellcasting, magical applications, enchantment, etc. Here they would learn directly from a teacher, the way an apprentice does.

Thus, a magical education has been bought. This does not necessarily rule out hardwork or sacrifice. It also doesn't preclude the idea of magic's rarity, either. Since this is an example based upon modern universities, you could think of the Wizard's College as a small, dedicated school, with possibly two degrees: Magician, and Wizard. Perhaps it is also highly selective, only taking those who have both money and talent. This wouldn't be a large institution, considering the rarity of elligible applicants.

It seems that this method would be more common for magicians than true wizards, but magicians are already more common than true wizards.
    Explain how this is a signature, its not my handwriting.

The hardest part was teaching the bunnies to hug. -Duke Phillips

Downloads
    Uploads
    Orginally posted by Rcook12a

While I like wizard guilds in other game worlds (Forgotten Realms) and other games (Mage the ascencion) I don't think they are in flavor with the Birthright game setting.

I am in favor of a wizard having an apprentice or 2 (possibly more) to help maintain his holdings and perform more mundane magical functions. I think that this mentor student system would end as soon as the student found a way to become blooded and tap sources. Most Wizard regeants seem to be in oppostion to each other simply for the sake of power alone. After all what do more sources get you except more regency and the ability to cast realm magic in more provinces. Therefore I don't think that more than one truly powerful mage would work together and form a guild of mages (PCs and the College in Anuire could be possible exceptions).
    The lower number of Magic-Users in the BR campaign setting does not in general support the formation of guilds. Using Mage the ascencion as a guide for the flavor of guilds one could conclude that the main reason for forming a guild of wizards would be to appose other wizards. There simply aren't enough wizards in BR to necesitate wizards banding together against each other. Medore would IMO be the most logical place for a guild of mages but I don't recall one in the PC secrets book. In fact I can't recal any apprectices listed for any True Wizard in the PC secrets books. Maybe I missed one?

It is fantasy so anything is possible, but other than the college in the city of Anuire I havn't seen any references to groups of mages in BR.

Regards
    Randy
    Medoere would be the exact place that a wizard guild would be found. In fact I believe one does exist there. It is called the Knights of the Silver Crescent. They are not really Knights. They are a group of people all committed to magic and their god. With the interest level in magic being so high in Medoere why wouldn't there be magic guilds where people could buy stuff?
    Lord Eldred
    High Councilor of the
    United Provinces of Cerilia
    "May Haelyn bring justice to your realm"

Thread Information