Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Gman View Post
    Hmm If the soil and ecosystem in Talinie/parts of Anuire is more like a jungle ecosystem - once the top soil is washed away and the forest is felled then the land/soil is basically rubbish.
    If you used a vibrant ecosystem on poor soil that is magically linked to the land - then once the magic and ecosystem has been given the chop then unless a nation is really concentrating on doing replanting/forestation then it would probably make sense to be like it is.

Obviously some areas have descriptions of verdant grasslands/ Ariable etc but Talinie may have a poorer soil.
    Well, I tend to see Talinie as a kind of highland area - lots of hills and rocky soil and masses of rain which can support reasonable trees, but which suffers serious erosion without some sort of all-year vegetative cover - not all of Taline would be like that obviously but the population is very low, even for BR, which is unlikely if the soil is good.

<snip to split threads>
    Last edited by AndrewTall; 09-18-2007 at 08:19 PM.

Downloads
    Uploads
    At 10:05 PM 9/16/2007, MatanThunder wrote:

>

Just out of curiosity, why does this appear in your posts?

Gary

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by ShadowMoon View Post
    Since this discussion is rather pointless; one argues against written rules and designers intent to justify his interpretation of the setting; so I'll just ignore it...

One thing tho; if Birthright was Magic unlimited like most childish fantasy games (aka Forgotten Realms/Eberron/whatever fairytale goodnight story), I would play only Stardrive/Dark Matter/whatever semi-realism simulation instead...

Meantime I'll wait for this discussion about natural resources to continue, after all this is a Natural Resources by Province thread (moderators?)...
    Sorry ShadowMoon, the moderators are busy bickering/tutoring (pick a viewpoint you like and claim it as the one truth )

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Gwrthefyr View Post
    IIRC, the court mage in Talinie has about as little conscience as the guilds ... he is rumored to have a way to harness source from developed land and I seem to have heard mention of sapient sacrifices.
    ???

The court mage of Taline was sent by the elves to stop the guilds logging etc - he may not like people but he does like trees, I've missed the sapient sacrifices although in my campaign it would be standard priestly propaganda to accuse any non-regent/tamed mage of such.

OK, I've had a go at splitting the threads. Apologies to all concerned if I goofed.
    Last edited by AndrewTall; 09-18-2007 at 09:08 PM.

Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks for the split...that is why I mentioned the original post in my last salad of thread additions!!!

Does anyone have some locations of rich strikes of natural materials on Cerilia??

I noted one person had one about a gold strike....how would the individual types of resources impact the overall GP production of a region under the affect of a rich natural resouce....by type??

<edit: snip to split thread>
    Last edited by AndrewTall; 09-19-2007 at 08:06 PM.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by MatanThunder View Post

I noted one person had one about a gold strike....how would the individual types of resources impact the overall GP production of a region under the affect of a rich natural resouce....by type??

<edit: snip to split thread>
    That depends how technical you want to get. Several comments are made about dragon bones, underground rivers, etc that boost source levels; in terms of resources I recall only Melyy's gold rush (open rolls) and Varsk breeding guilds only as resources with a realm effects, although both the Lamia's realm and the Vampire's hold have mineral wealth noted.

I'd suggest 'generic' resource benefits could be along the lines:

Bounteous: high food/fish yields increases the province population maximum by one.

Fine ore: one unit a year can be mustered /enhanced with +1 to attack / defense due to better quality weapons, maximum of one enhanced unit per province level at any given time.

Rich pickings: an extra guild slot exists in the province which can be fought over, contested, etc as normal. This increases the maximum income of the province but shouldn't be enough to harm the game (1,1/6 Gb and 1 RP for a guild holding). This would reflect a resource that can be controlled by one regent i.e. a particular mine, fishing bay, etc.

Great wealth: Province acts as one size larger for income production for all regents (2e) or +25% income in this province (3e) - this would reflect a ubiquitous resource.

Unusual product: the province can have one trade route that can be traded with any other province regardless of terrain/culture type of the second province.

Thread Information