Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 12
  1. #1

    Applying E6 to Birthright

    (For those not familiar with E6, look here

    I had this thought, if I remember correctly, while I was walking out of Barnes and Noble tonight. An absolutely outstanding application of the E6 mechanics would be to the Birthright setting.

    First of all, you've got several ways your characters can grow; via feats from the E6 growth, and via bloodline strength, and via political strength. The world itself already assumes a much lower level of magical strength than is common in standard D&D campaigns, so capping it at E6 levels isn't that much of a stretch. For Magicians, bar them from EVERYTHING but Divination and Illusion, but throw in Shadow Evocation and Conjuration at level 3 illusion spells (mimicking 1st-3rd level spells of the Evocation or Conjuration schools, respectively). Bards could maintain their own spell lists, but properly pare them down to enchantments, illusions, and divinations ONLY. Only Sorcerers (using their elven or deific heritage) would be able to be full arcane casters; make additional spell knowledge a blood ability, perhaps, open to Vorynn's and, of course, Azrai's, line (in addition to being an E6 feat). This preserves some of the uniqueness of Magicians as prepared casters, but also allows Sorcerers to harness their blood to get ahead.

    A human power level, ritual magic as part of the background, unique monsters...The setting almost seems like it was BEGGING for E6 to come along.

  2. #2
    Senior Member cccpxepoj's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Neoplantis, Republic of Serbia
    Posts
    205
    Downloads
    33
    Uploads
    0
    i never heard for the E6 system so could you enlighten me ??????

  3. #3
    Senior Member RaspK_FOG's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Moschato, Athens, Greece
    Posts
    1,130
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Err, you didn't notice there was a link in the original post, did you?

    E6 pretty much epitomises the concept that higher-level characters are of near-deific power, and uses a basis of levels to define this. Under this concept, a 6th-level character is already quite heroic, so his or her progress stops at that point and starts getting bonus feats instead.

  4. #4
    Main drawback, IMO, for E6 applied to Birthright - loss of magic and known ways to create most of magical items. Prerequisite CL7 - item is out of comission.

    Other changes. Every elderly elven wizard can be handled by score of not-so-dumb fighters. In contrary, dragon of Doneaghmiere is still alive - no one party of adventurers can slay him. Rhuobhe... well, he is a monster Ftr4/Sor16 - and so no one can stand against him and his magic, or he is Rgr1/Wiz5, and score of not-so-dumb fighters...

    Too much history was designed with high-levels in mind.

  5. #5
    Birthright is a low magic game, regardless. Holy Vopel Defender Avengers +5 are less prevalent as in other games. Realm magic would still be untouched.Also, monsters would have to be changed or altered slightly (including Gorgy and the Slayer).

    You stay at level 6, but you are able to pick up feats in lieu of levels, so a old elven wizard would still have some tricks up his sleeves.

  6. #6
    Site Moderator AndrewTall's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Chelmsford, Essex, England
    Posts
    2,305
    Downloads
    25
    Uploads
    0
    What you could say is Level 4 + bloodline (tainted +1, minor +2, major +3, great +4, true +5 at 50 pts, +1 per extra 15) or such like. Then let an awn/ehr shegh add a level or 2 to reflect their more-than-mortal nature. That would really make scions the ruling class - Rhoubhe L11+ lots of feats will stomp L1-2's with ease, but still, just, be touchable for well prepared L6+ feat bands.

    The issue I think is to keep high level game-breaking spells under control. You can always get around the level creation pre-requisites with feats, or ritual magic, or use of additional regency in item creation.

  7. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by AndrewTall View Post
    What you could say is Level 4 + bloodline (tainted +1, minor +2, major +3, great +4, true +5 at 50 pts, +1 per extra 15) or such like. Then let an awn/ehr shegh add a level or 2 to reflect their more-than-mortal nature. That would really make scions the ruling class - Rhoubhe L11+ lots of feats will stomp L1-2's with ease, but still, just, be touchable for well prepared L6+ feat bands.

    The issue I think is to keep high level game-breaking spells under control. You can always get around the level creation pre-requisites with feats, or ritual magic, or use of additional regency in item creation.
    I like that, though I'd probably change it to 6 + 1 for minor, 2 for major, etc; it keeps from having to come up with new mechanics for E6, and keeps non-blooded heroes relevant, while really stressing that the blooded ARE semi-divine.

  8. #8
    Site Moderator AndrewTall's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Chelmsford, Essex, England
    Posts
    2,305
    Downloads
    25
    Uploads
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by MarkHall View Post
    I like that, though I'd probably change it to 6 + 1 for minor, 2 for major, etc; it keeps from having to come up with new mechanics for E6, and keeps non-blooded heroes relevant, while really stressing that the blooded ARE semi-divine.
    The slight issue there is that many characters will be scions, so making the game E7, E8 etc rather than E6.

    Possibly you could add +1 for great, +2 for true, +1 if a part transformed 'shegh, +2 if a fully transformed 'shegh, add +1-3 for bloodlines higher than average, etc. That way minor/major scions aren't too different from normals unless they have a very high bloodline.

  9. #9
    There still is question about creating magical items. Birthright isn't low-magic setting - just scarce-magic. If we remove ways to create some powerful magical items, history of setting may suffer. All rings, staves, rods saying good-bye. +5 armour from Rjurik lands (don't have this book, so I forgot the name), ring of regeneration of some orog overlord, sword of guilder Kalien...
    Even Ruobhe and Gorgon may be displeased, if they lose their equipment.
    Having so magic-rich land and crafting only minor magical items - something is wrong in this picture, or I was wrong?
    Last edited by Gheal; 09-16-2007 at 03:41 PM. Reason: edit: spelling problems

  10. #10
    Site Moderator AndrewTall's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Chelmsford, Essex, England
    Posts
    2,305
    Downloads
    25
    Uploads
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Gheal View Post
    There still is question about creating magical items. Birthright isn't low-magic setting - just scarce-magic. If we remove ways to create some powerful magical items, history of setting may suffer. All rings, staves, rods saying good-bye. +5 armour from Rjurik lands (don't have this book, so I forgot the name), ring of regeneration of some orog overlord, sword of guilder Kalien...
    Even Ruobhe and Gorgon may be displeased, if they lose their equipment.
    Having so magic-rich land and crafting only minor magical items - something is wrong in this picture, or I was wrong?
    I figure you'd use ritual sort of magic to justify the powerful magic items - the high level creation spell being reduced to a 'reachable' level by involving multiple casters, days to cast, etc. It depends on whether you want PC's to be able to make them as to whether you actually need a mechanic, if not then the exact rules can be left vague.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Applying E6 to Birthright
    By MarkHall in forum BRCS 3.0/3.5 Edition
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 09-08-2007, 09:12 AM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
BIRTHRIGHT, DUNGEONS & DRAGONS, D&D, the BIRTHRIGHT logo, and the D&D logo are trademarks owned by Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a subsidiary of Hasbro, Inc., and are used by permission. ©2002-2010 Wizards of the Coast, Inc.