Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Any Play Birthright: The Gorgon's Aliance Multiplayer?

Anyone interested in trying to play Birthright: The Gorgon's Alliance with some multiplayer fun? I have not done it before, but I have played the game on and off for years.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I thought it would be really fun myself...but when I played it I found:

You can`t go on adventures.

You don`t have control of your forces during battles (I lost Aelies in a simple battle against Oesorde).

The Gorgon`s rampant skeletal legions rule the game.

So...it took too much from my enjoyment of the game to play in multi-player mode.

--- XDrake <brnetboard@BIRTHRIGHT.NET> wrote:

> Anyone interested in trying to play Birthright: The
    > Gorgon`s Alliance with some multiplayer fun? I have
    > not done it before, but I have played the game on
    > and off for years.
    Last edited by Thelandrin; 08-27-2007 at 10:17 AM. Reason: Advertising removed.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by dalor View Post
    The Gorgon`s rampant skeletal legions rule the game.
    Well thats a problem with the game anyway - I always wind up hiring every wizard and priest I can to deal with the skeleton problem - or loading up with archers and grossly abusing the movement system.

And all over a bunch of skellies that shouldn't be more than a match for light infantry...

Downloads
    Uploads
    AndrewTall schrieb:
    > This post was generated by the Birthright.net message forum.
    > You can view the entire thread at:
    > http://www.birthright.net/forums/showthread.php?goto=newpost&t=3971
    > AndrewTall wrote:
    > ------------ QUOTE ----------
    >
    > The Gorgon`s rampant skeletal legions rule the game.
    >
    > -----------------------------
    > Well thats a problem with the game anyway - I always wind up hiring every wizard and priest I can to deal with the skeleton problem - or loading up with archers and grossly abusing the movement system.
    > And all over a bunch of skellies that shouldn`t be more than a match for light infantry...
    >
    I played lots of different games with that game. Up to now the most fun
    has been to get the Staff of Transport from one of the adventures, get
    the ring that allows to create one ley line/action as a free action,
    adventure for the ring that allows one general free action (rather
    early, as in the beginning I almost always lack the gold/regency to
    actually use all 3 actions except for adventuring), have a regent or at
    least a lieutenant who is able to cast transport - and then keep on
    creating sources (0), leylines and transporting all my enemies into the
    backyard of the Gorgon´s Crown or to teleport the forces of chaos out of
    my own realm. I like to tidy up the map from those forces of chaos ;-)

When you must autocalculate the fights, then use Knights against the
    Skeletons in equal numbers (as the game seems to use the charge rating
    of the knights they will prevail more often than not).

Skeletons are not to be taken lightly. It´s Birthright, so no common
    soldier has any magic on him and Skeletons have at least a small Damage
    Reduction in 3E if I remember that rule correct. Using the 2E warcards
    Stonecrown Ogres (which are sadly not in the game) and Skeletons were
    the most powerful evil units in Anuire.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by ConjurerDragon View Post
    >
    Skeletons are not to be taken lightly. It´s Birthright, so no common
    soldier has any magic on him and Skeletons have at least a small Damage
    Reduction in 3E if I remember that rule correct. Using the 2E warcards
    Stonecrown Ogres (which are sadly not in the game) and Skeletons were
    the most powerful evil units in Anuire.
    In 2e the skeleton warcard assumed that the half damage from edged/piercing weapons applied to all attacks - so to try to incorporate the effect they doubled the defence rating of the warcard, the impact should have been to unit hits not unit DR. Given the pitiful AC of skeletons (7 in 2e) and attack damage (1d6) and the skeleton warcard is clearly in error.

So the bug was in the original warcard not the computer game although they should have fixed it in play testing anyway...

The warcard was:
    [move 1, Defense 7, Morale 2, Melee 5, Charge 0, Missile 0, Hits 3];

It should have been:
    [move 1, defense 2 or 3, morale n/a, melee 2 or 3, Charge 0, missile 0, hits 3* 50% chance of ignoring hit]

Better equipment could improve attack and defense - although the modifications still ignore the likelihood of units having blunt weapons - flails, maces, hammers, polearms anyone? They would rapidly proliferate if facing skeletons was common.

You can some mileage from the idea of giant skeletons and the like but those aren't very common in BR.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I think is reasonable to assume that the Undead Legion was more than just zombies and skeletons. You wouldn't need much to make the unit fearsome enough that most troops would not want to attack it, giving it a defense in operations way out of proportion to its physical defense.

What is lacking are units that get a coresponding +3 or +4 to attack undead such as
    Knights of Haelyn (courage, boys!)
    Knights of Avanalae (smite the dark host!)
    and Ruornil's Chosen (a favorite of Medoere)

The rest of the units, however, don't want to go near the corpses no matter how many times you tell them that there is only one ghoul among them and he won't turn you all into ghouls.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I actually used to abuse the skeletons with Levy Infantry. If you fill the board with Levy Infantry before the skeletons can even leave their starting line, the battle expires and you win.

The game is wonderful to play, but very easily manipulated on several levels.

--- AndrewTall <brnetboard@BIRTHRIGHT.NET> wrote:
    > ------------ QUOTE ----------
    >
    > The Gorgon`s rampant skeletal legions rule the game.
    >
    > -----------------------------
    >
    >
    > Well thats a problem with the game anyway - I always wind up hiring every wizard and priest I can to deal with the skeleton problem - or loading up with archers and grossly abusing the movement system.
    >
    > And all over a bunch of skellies that shouldn`t be more than a match for light infantry...
    Last edited by Thelandrin; 08-27-2007 at 10:19 AM. Reason: Advertising removed.

Downloads
    Uploads
    My only gripe with using more powerful undead is that they tend to be free-willed to a degree, making them very hard to control in numbers. Similarly many can create minions that may not be loyal to the summoner - and surely the more powerful the minions one intends to summon, the greater the chance that some dread terror will cross over the veil at the same time to command them for their own malign purposes...

From a practical viewpoint the summoner of the undead would surely prefer loyal - if mindless - cannon fodder rather than armies that might decide to butcher the local population the summoner intends to rule - it's not as if ghouls would be working for gold - their sole aim is to eat the locals and they don't need a general to tell them to do it - what price could be paid to buy their loyalty - and what would the true price of such be? The Gorgon might send a 'legion of the damned' to punish a defiant regent, but would use a more biddable 'legion of the dead' to bulk out his troops when he intends conquest or a culling - skeletons and zombies are so much more controllable.

So if you want tougher undead units I'd build them as different units and suggest that they cost more RP to maintain and can be controlled in fewer numbers - whether of giant skeletons, ghouls, or shades.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by XDrake View Post
    Anyone interested in trying to play Birthright: The Gorgon's Alliance with some multiplayer fun? I have not done it before, but I have played the game on and off for years.
    My husband and I both have it and have played it together with the serial cable connection. We enjoyed conquering anuire a couple of times that way.

I have never been able to play it in a bigger game because I could never get it to work without the serial cable. We would be into trying it with more people if there was a way too do it.
    O hark, O hear&#33; How thin and clear,
    And thinner, clearer, farther going&#33;
    O sweet and far from cliff and scar
    The Horns of Sielwode faintly blowing&#33;

Quote Originally Posted by Vallariel View Post
    My husband and I both have it and have played it together with the serial cable connection. We enjoyed conquering anuire a couple of times that way.

I have never been able to play it in a bigger game because I could never get it to work without the serial cable. We would be into trying it with more people if there was a way too do it.

We could try to give it a try making sure to have the most up-to-date patch. The game is famous for being so buggy, and the multi player may be jacked up, but I am interested in giving it a try.

Thread Information