Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Birthright and the Planes

Has it ever seemed to anyone here that there is something about Birthright which makes it fit rather poorly into the general d&d scheme of the Planes of Existence?

The planes are, as far as I can see, about two things. It gives you a story of where the gods are and what they do, and it gives you the opportunity to sally off into this immense "other world" of which they are a part. Neither of these seem to chime quite right within the BR setting, because they duplicate, and thus take away from the flavour of, things for which BR has its own story.

Should the BR gods, for example, be served by demons and angels that can and do interfere with the life of mortals? The land is filled with men and women with the blood of the gods in their veins as it is, and this is precisely what makes BR distinctive and interesting. Letting in yet more semi-divine creatures seems to me merely to muddle up this distinctiveness. In the same way, the planes as a place to travel interferes with the special role that the Shadow World has.

Though the issue hasn't really come up in my own campaign, I think it were best to say that BR has nothing to do with the planes as we know them. No demon summoning, no trips on the astral cord, no secret stashes on the ethereal plane. Taking away such generic features, which of course can function quite well in other settings, puts the emphasis far more clearly on what BR is about.

As I'm typing this, another question popped into my head. Where is it that according to the different human cultures and the different faiths of Cerilia people go when they die?

Likely, the Shadow World, but why not assume that different cultures will have their different ways of seeing the afterlife, just for the fun of it.

Not every ancient culture believed in the kind of afterlife often assumed with the planes, with their angels and demons and heavy monotheistic-ish imagery, since 1st edition when it was mainly limited to it.
    Last edited by Gwrthefyr; 08-24-2007 at 10:08 PM.

I cant remember whether i got this from an official book or not, so if anyone remembers otherwise

BR has a very unique cosmology, it's pretty much bipolar.

There's the material plane, and the shadow world, that's pretty much it. For the most part, the shadow world is a copy of the material world that's been twisted (to what degree in a given area depends on a lot of things)
    the other 'planes' as they would be referred to in other settings, are in BR more like pocket dimensions within the shadow world, like our favorite bags of holding/portable holes/assorted magical shelters/etc are in the prime material. you can literally go from being in the shadow world to being in what other campaigns refer to as an outer plane in a single step

Most of the deities essentially rule over one of these pockets, but there are more pockets than there are deities to rule them

edit: forgive horrible grammar, am entering this while dealing with way too many isp customers
    Last edited by manetherin; 08-24-2007 at 09:24 PM.

Downloads
    Uploads
    From recollection the Shadow world is, too a degree, mutable by will - so if you have sentient sapient deities then they have probably shaped sections of the Shadow World to suit their version of afterlife.

I'd expect that the Rjurik likely have a reincarnation approach to life given the general druidic theme, while Belinik may simply go for a Greek underworld of generic despair and hunger, the dead after all, the weakest of all things...

As an aside I split the Shadow World into 4 main areas aside from 'god' pockets - the classic empty realm of early canon, the chaotic mutability of the Shadow World sourcebook, the dark tainted shadow world that is slowly expanding across the entire plane, and the pockets of the Spirit World surviving - generally due to the Sie or Vorynn's protection.

When I want angels, devils, etc I make them natives to one of the appropriate areas of the shadow World or raw chaos summoned and shaped by the summoners will...

Well, Book of Priestcraft lists Domains for each of the gods, with definition being:

"The name of the god's territory on his or her plane of residence."

Here are the Domains for each god:

Avani: The Gleaming Spire/ Mechanus
    Erik: Nature's Rest/ Outlands
    Haelyn: Honor's Glory/ Mount Celestia
    Belinik: The Striving/ 2nd Layer/ Pandemonium
    Nesirie: The Waves of Grief/ Thalasia/ Elysium
    Sera: The Marketplace Eternal/ Outlands
    Cuircaecen: Cuiraecen's Feasthall/ Ysgard
    Eloele: Endless Maze/ 1st Layer/ Pandemonium
    Kriesha: The Steadfast Chill/ Stygia/ Baator
    Laerme: Songsheight/ Olympus/ Arborea
    Rournil: The Silver Lands/ Outlands

Downloads
    Uploads
    AndrewTall schrieb:
    > This post was generated by the Birthright.net message forum.
    > You can view the entire thread at:
    > http://www.birthright.net/forums/showthread.php?goto=newpost&t=3969
    > AndrewTall wrote:
    > >From recollection the Shadow world is, too a degree, mutable by will - so if you have sentient sapient deities then they have probably shaped sections of the Shadow World to suit their version of afterlife.
    >
    > I`d expect that the Rjurik likely have a reincarnation approach to life given the general druidic theme, while Belinik may simply go for a Greek underworld of generic despair and hunger, the dead after all, the weakest of all things...
    >
    No Valhalla for the best of warriors for Belinik?

Autarkis -

I did see that list, of course. But I always wondered whether it made sense, whether it truly fit with BR. In general I think there was a tendency, the further the print run of BR got underway, to introduce things from generic d&d without thinking through how that could, or would, function in the context of Cerilia.

There's some interesting suggestions here about cosmology and the role the shadow world does, or might, or should play in it. But all this talk of "sub-pockets" makes the shadow world a lot less creepy, doesn't it?

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by ConjurerDragon View Post
    AndrewTall schrieb:

No Valhalla for the best of warriors for Belinik?
    Hmm, hadn't thought about that sort of thing - possibly although I'm not sure what great end battle he'd be preparing for...

I certainly can't see him welcoming any warriors who die of old age though - indeed the elderly may be badly shunned amongst the Vos, possibly Vos followers are desperate to die in glorious combat while young and strong; they may also be afraid of being maimed - can one still be strong if one loses an eye, a hand? It would be intriguing to see the psychological impact of such a wounding on a Vos warrior, perhaps once cast out of their tribe they come to see the beauty of the world around them for a change, or perhaps a final mad battle may win them glory in their gods eyes...

Ehrshegh of Spelling Thelandrin's Avatar
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Well, it was just that way in Norse culture. The best way to die was to die in battle so that your soul could be taken to Valhalla by the valkyries. The worst way to die was via "straw death", where you died on your pallet (of sickness or old age) and descended to Niflheim, the grim land of the dead.

Quote Originally Posted by willezurmacht View Post
    Autarkis -

I did see that list, of course. But I always wondered whether it made sense, whether it truly fit with BR. In general I think there was a tendency, the further the print run of BR got underway, to introduce things from generic d&d without thinking through how that could, or would, function in the context of Cerilia.

There's some interesting suggestions here about cosmology and the role the shadow world does, or might, or should play in it. But all this talk of "sub-pockets" makes the shadow world a lot less creepy, doesn't it?
    Not necessarily, since you could probably wander into them without noticing at first, at least from the shadow world, and still be as unprepared and in danger, depending on who you meet of the divine servants (I don't think the gods themselves are a threat at all, besides maybe the Cold Rider and even then - though I usually see him as a slightly less sympathetic Arawn). And it probably remains, for the most part, a vast Asphodeles with the common dead, the recalcitrant dead, and lots of fairies going from the mostly harmless prankster to the sadistic homicidal maniac.
    (Of course, I say that and it may make it seem, actually, less dangerous; however, my players have a healthy dose of respect for my fae obsession )
    Last edited by Gwrthefyr; 08-25-2007 at 01:07 PM.

Thread Information