Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3910111213

Thread: 4th edition

Well the rules needed to be balanced a bit. The spell system they had for both clerics and wizards created too much of a power difference between the have and have nots. When playing with a group the fighter often was the least effective in combat, died the most often while engaged hand to hand overwhelming single creatures, extremely dependant on magic gear to succeed and had the least amount of options once the combat began.

There needed to be a way for a group of 4 friends to get together and have each person contribute to a combat equally or close to equal depending on the encounter. Spells simply got too powerful and replaced many of the things other classes could contribute. They needed to change spell usage fundamentally to create a slightly more level playing field, which they did. If they left the spell system similer to before I don't think they could have ever truely balanced the other classes in.

The thing about D&D is that the stories and the roleplaying really doesn't change and never will. They can change skills all they want and merge them (which I like) but in the end roleplaying and having fun will dominate. The rules are primaraly for combat, and even though I haven't read through them yet I feel that anything that helps balance between classes is a good thing and healthy for repeated play.

-BB

Greetings! My name is Pablo and I´m a fresh newbie in this forum. I´m also the one who started the En World Birthright thread) but I guess I should have come here in the first place.

For now, I just wanted to say hi!
    I´m looking forward to contribute to keep Birthright alive.

Pablo

Downloads
    Uploads
    I've never understood the desire to make everyone equal in combat. One guy, the fighter, spends his whole youth and much of his adult life training and preparing from combat and people whose core skills supposedly lay elsewhere, can keep up?

Some classes can make claims to combat by other means, but the whole thing just feels so gamey. Characters should be good at different things, not the same things differently.

Smile spitting up the thread

after reading all of the messages in the 4th edition forum this really needs to be split up int separate topics because i have seen it jumped from blood abilities to rp then to multi class characters they all start from one another. But to develop the ideas into something more usable to get these concepts going and to focus them so they can be usable i like the ideas of the blood abilities and how to handle them but we still need to refine them into a usable playing feature.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Well, the topics were also separated by weeks of time. I'm sure once real books are in the hands of members, we'll start separate topics.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Vicente View Post
    The wizard having far more options would be bad even if those options were balanced. But with lots of those options totally broken (hello polymorph) it's not bad, it's very bad .

But more related to the topic, this thread from ENWorld is pretty interesting:

http://www.enworld.org/showthread.php?t=228940

I specially like Mourn suggestion although it's a big change in how Birthright works right now (specially for inheriting bloodline, but I could "forget" about that one to have a rule that goes better with the game spirit).
    Hey, that's cool...there are more than one Green Knight in the world...maybe we could have a slumber party (in green armor) sometime
    Cheers
    Bjørn
    DM of Ruins of Empire II PbeM

Special Guest (Donor)
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Lol, I thought that Green Knight was you

I think too that until we have the books we can just use this thread to brainstorm and later on split the topic.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I think I have an EnWorld user, but Green Knight was taken But I never post anyway, just browse...
    Cheers
    Bjørn
    DM of Ruins of Empire II PbeM

Thread Information