Page 6 of 13 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 ... LastLast

Thread: 4th edition

Downloads
    Uploads
    About accessing content through a subscription wall, even the New York Times has abandoned its wall for its opinion writers.

Its one thing to ask people to pay for fresh, creative content. Dragon magazine had a subcription. But to ask people to subscribe to the game itself doesn't make sense, given what has happened so often when business look for the revenue stream on the web. Ultimatly the barriers come down and you give away free stuff on-line to drive sales of descrete products.

So I'm dubious that its gonna work the way a lot people seem to think, and even if they tried it, so goes the Times, so goes the rest of publishing.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Actually, the company has been pretty clear on the matter: no subscription fee will ever be needed for anyone to play 4e. :P

Special Guest (Donor)
    Downloads
    Uploads
    there's a big difference between being able to play DnD and having all the material. Techinically speaking anyone can make the claim that by just owning a player's handbook you can "play the game". It's very easy for anyone, including wotc to make that claim. I'd like to say that I can play DnD without a warlock, but I still have to own the complete arcane to access those rules.

As a company you don't spend this kind of money to create a new online website without doing everything possible to "sell" the online experience. EXPECT special content including rules. The goal is to have a high % of players paying this fee.
    Last edited by Sinister; 01-27-2008 at 07:19 PM.

Special Guest (Donor)
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by kgauck View Post
    About accessing content through a subscription wall, even the New York Times has abandoned its wall for its opinion writers.

Its one thing to ask people to pay for fresh, creative content. Dragon magazine had a subcription. But to ask people to subscribe to the game itself doesn't make sense, given what has happened so often when business look for the revenue stream on the web. Ultimatly the barriers come down and you give away free stuff on-line to drive sales of descrete products.

So I'm dubious that its gonna work the way a lot people seem to think, and even if they tried it, so goes the Times, so goes the rest of publishing.
    Well for starters the times has a much older demographic than the target audience of DnD, which spends awhole lot of time online anyway. Secondly the times operates on news and opinions. Its very easy to get that information elsewhere, unlike wotc controlling all of DnD. It's very easy to release core mechanics, then make accessing prestige classes, and new feats, as part of the online experience of content. And finally the idea is to move away from publishing to create an online role playing event. If a can access the pages that run my games why do I need 50 books? In fact an EXCELLENT example of this is the birthright wiki. With the wiki (particularly when it's complete) it will replace the need for ANY Birthright books. In fact I run my Birthright game off the wiki and nothing else. What's interesting is that the wiki you could probably get me to pay for since its a one stop place for Birthright and I no longer have to carry the product line around with me. This has to be very very appealing for DnD players looking forward to 4E.

Things like the SRD will be free because it's great advertising for the online content. It'll be the perfect place to tell you about the online magazines or the character generator or the online table top.

Thus getting a taste of DnD is only the cost of the core books, having the full experience will be tied to a subscription fee. People who pay the fee will be telling the others about all the cool content selling it to other players. I'm not saying this is bad thing, could very well be an easier experience, especially having all the info centralized and most likely hyperlinked. For many this could be a big improvement.
    Last edited by Sinister; 01-27-2008 at 08:29 PM.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Sinister View Post
    there's a big difference between being able to play DnD and having all the material. Techinically speaking anyone can make the claim that by just owning a player's handbook you can "play the game". It's very easy for anyone, including wotc to make that claim. I'd like to say that I can play DnD without a warlock, but I still have to own the complete arcane to access those rules.

As a company you don't spend this kind of money to create a new online website without doing everything possible to "sell" the online experience. EXPECT special content including rules. The goal is to have a high % of players paying this fee.

You are confusing the DI and the hard copy products.

To access "live" (their on-line gaming system) you will need the "access codes" from the cooks to have full on-line content.

WotC has also made it evident that they will publish hard copy supplemental books (not everything will be only electronic from the DI).

So - you will not have to pay a subscription fee to play (or to update) your 4th ed game.

You will have to pay if you want on-line access and "early" access to some things that will up included in supplemental hard copy products.

The two are completely different concepts.

I am reserving judgement on 4th ed. What I have heard I generally like, but we will see how it pans out.
    Duane Eggert

Special Guest (Donor)
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by irdeggman View Post
    You are confusing the DI and the hard copy products.

To access "live" (their on-line gaming system) you will need the "access codes" from the cooks to have full on-line content.

WotC has also made it evident that they will publish hard copy supplemental books (not everything will be only electronic from the DI).

So - you will not have to pay a subscription fee to play (or to update) your 4th ed game.

You will have to pay if you want on-line access and "early" access to some things that will up included in supplemental hard copy products.

The two are completely different concepts.

I am reserving judgement on 4th ed. What I have heard I generally like, but we will see how it pans out.

The codes you speak of, will get you an online version of the book you bought, for a small fee, wotc has said for "about the cup of coffee". This isn't a free service nor part of the DDI monthly fee. So buying the print book doesn't get you the electronic copy for free. Thus another fee on top of your print book to use a electronic copy. Expect another 2-3 dollars per book for the electronic copy.
    Last edited by Sinister; 01-27-2008 at 09:32 PM.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Sinister View Post
    The codes you speak of, will get you an online version of the book you bought, for a small fee, wotc has said for "about the cup of coffee". This isn't a free service nor part of the DDI monthly fee. So buying the print book doesn't get you the electronic copy for free. Thus another fee on top of your print book to use a electronic copy. Expect another 2-3 dollars per book for the electronic copy.

No but what I was saying was that it grants you access to that book for the on-line gaming.

That is, when you play their on-line gaming you will be limited to what books you have access to.

I was not talking about a pdf version of the book.
    Duane Eggert

Downloads
    Uploads
    Duane,

I already told Travis we're doing a 4th Ed Conversation. He hasn't signed on yet, but I'll twist his arm. Little things like the obstacles in this thread won't stop us.

Post Cryptic wisdom

Greetings,

I do not know, what this is about. I still wish you well on it.

Quote Originally Posted by spehar View Post
    Duane,

I already told Travis we're doing a 4th Ed Conversation. He hasn't signed on yet, but I'll twist his arm. Little things like the obstacles in this thread won't stop us.
    I'd love to get in on that, if at all possible. Is there some sort of sign up sheet or e-mail I can send to?

Thread Information