Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Actually, the Good Folk where renowned in all of Europe for their love of drinks; the time and effort needed was deemed more of an interesting subject, and there is little shame in such pursuits: to take something wild and untamed and make something cultured (not civilised - it's not the same thing) but still wild and untamed (as most faery drinks happen to be; and far more potent than your average moonshine ), that is a true goal of mastery!

Unlike what most people think of the Sidhelien, they should look at the Dockalfar and the Sidhe of myth: majestic people, one with the world of land and spirit alike, but not teatering dolts that would do nothing if nature did not provide for it...

The Sidhelien are creatures of majesty, and that means that they have their own music, as we all know, haunting and honed to such perfection that any other will always remember it, even if not able to reproduce it, with uncanny clarity - and so it also is with their foodstuffs, their garments and raiments, their halls and tapestries, their woodwork (for their is some coaxing into giving living wood shape without destroying the tree - or taking only what is needed with proper respect), and, amongst these and many more, their drinks and beverages.

As for cider, it's an excellent drink. Also note that fruit-brandies, most particularly and most commonly made from berries of various kinds, should be held in very high regard. Whiskeys and vodkas should also be around too, yes. Any distillant should be included, if possible.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by AndrewTall View Post
    And what sir, is wrong with a good cider? Particularly triple ice-distilled...

Gin is also probably common in Anuire. The Vos may drink fermented mares milk in the more southerly realms - the mongols did, the Binsadans and some other Khinasi may as well.
    Vos, cause their names are similar to the Slavic names, may drink some traditional Slavic drinks, like "VODKA", or in the southern regions like Molochev and Kozlovny traditional drink of Slavs from Balkans called "RAKIA"(man i like that drink ). Thrust me its the drink that suits them perfectly .

Da! Jebiga pičku materina!

But what about... Šlivovica! Nazdravje!

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by willezurmacht View Post
    Da! Jebiga pičku materina!

But what about... Šlivovica! Nazdravje!
    I see that you speak Serbian( or Croatian), where are you from mate ???? and by the way Sljivovica is Rakia.
    And it is maybe little to familiar with our history but i see Khinasi as Arabs in most of the cases , and as i remember their religion forbids the drinking of the alcohol and instead they used some narcotic like hashish ( if this is the right word for it i can't find it in my dictionary ).
    Except for religious reasons it is a medical fact that alcohol cause dehidratation and that is not good thing in a desert.
    Last edited by cccpxepoj; 09-11-2007 at 02:02 AM.

Serbocroatian is one of the languages I only *pretend* I can speak, I'm afraid, though when it comes to upping one's score in the language game it's a fabulous choice. For the price of one language you can, at least according to the politics of the day, speak four - Croatian, Bosniac, Serbian and now even Montenegrian, too! If that isn't a deal, I don't know what is.

Meanwhile, in the more innocuous world of Birthright identity politics -

I do agree that the Khinasi would have hefty religious taboos against the consumption of alcohol. The climate of the Cities of the Sun is punishing for the tippler, as you rightly say, and their notions of honour and seemly conduct in public likewise speak against drunkenness. There's also the fact that the Khinasi worship the goddess of Reason!

That said, the history of the Islamic world shows quite persuasively that such strictures are rarely enough to keep man away from the bottle. The Khinasi too should have scoundrels and rakes aplenty who do not give a fig for what is considered proper, and even more simple and god-fearing men who enjoy modestly but secretively.

Yet more interesting however is the idea seen in many religious systems that the profane, forbidden and polluted, something no proper man would touch, is in virtue of that very profanity *also* a source of holiness. To be splattered with blood, for example, is often seen as bringing on deep ritual pollution, yet when slaughtering an animal at the altar, this pollutedness serves as a conduit for man to clean himself of his own impurities.

Likewise, alcohol has, despite what the Ulema may say, always been a key ingredient in Islamic mysticism, particularly in deeply religious poets such as Rumi - himself an authority on religious law - and Hafiz. Seems to me the Khinasi should have their share of these, too.

As all societies, then, the world of the Khinasi should not be a static, one-dimensional block, but a place riven with tensions over what the good life is. Of course, that makes things much more interesting when bringing this place to life in Birthright.

Quote Originally Posted by cccpxepoj View Post
    I see that you speak Serbian( or Croatian), where are you from mate ????
    And it is maybe little to familiar with our history but i see Khinasi as Arabs in most of the cases , and as i remember their religion forbids the drinking of the alcohol and instead they used some narcotic like hashish ( if this is the right word for it i can't find it in my dictionary ).
    Except for religious reasons it is a medical fact that alcohol cause dehidratation and that is not good thing in a desert.
    These interdicts were so hugely reinterpreted as to be nearly void in some areas and periods - more than one Andalusian prince realized the sheer importance of wine in their economies, groups like the Alevis and the Bektashis, the general liberalization of the Ottoman Empire during the Tanzimat period (much too late, I agree, but in the renaissance, we have a sultan of Rum dying of a cyrrhosis), a certain tendency for many middle and upper class (practicing) moslems to consider that it's okay so long as they're sober for prayer. There are also a few alcoholic beverages still native to Syria (IIRC, Raki); and most of the Basarji hardly live in a desert.

And Umar Khayyam would hardly have used wine for his metaphors if it had been so universally loathed as pretended.
    Last edited by Gwrthefyr; 09-11-2007 at 12:56 AM.

Downloads
    Uploads
    they don't need to live in desert, but they have to travel trough it for many reasons( trade,war...etc....), and i don't think that a hangover in the middle of the desert on that scorching sun is a nice thing.

Downloads
    Uploads
    i don't think that a hangover in the middle of the desert on that scorching sun is a nice thing.
    And thus Avani teaches the wisdom of moderation to the foolish man...

Can't believe I forgot vodka in my earlier comment!

they don't need to live in desert, but they have to travel trough it for many reasons( trade,war...etc....), and i don't think that a hangover in the middle of the desert on that scorching sun is a nice thing.
    I always figured the Tarvan Wastes and the Sphinx' area to be more like Gobi (i.e. desolate, but moderately grassy). It's hard to picture it anything like the Sahara given the surrounding areas.

There are no true sand deserts in Khinasi at all I'd say, looking at the map. The Gobi or the Kalahari, that sounds about right. You reckon they have meerkats there as well?

Thread Information