Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I think Avani covers the bad pitiless burning sun herself. She's neutral in alignment, so just as prone to burn out the disobediant Khinasi as she is to bring warm fertile life to the lands of the obediant. She is the most cruel, I think, other than Kriesha or Belinik.

Unlike Sera, the other godess neutral on the good-evil axis, she is not fickle or prone to change her mind. As a lawful diety, she demands obedience without the compassion of Haelyn. Put that in weather terms and you can expect consistant weather - good if you deserve it, bad if you don't.

In short, Avani can be utterly merciless.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Cruel, no; merciless, sure.

She is the deity of logic, reasoning, and so on: if you drift to the deserts for no reason whatsoever, no persuit, no goal, nothing to lead you there, you deserve your fate and she had nothing to do with it - the sun won't stop shining to protect one fool or another.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by RaspK_FOG View Post
    You are mistaken if you think that cold does not creep in the desert: at night, the temperature can go below 0° C (32° F).

But to each his own.
    I know it gets nippy out there in the desert with no clouds to trap in heat at night, we can talk about making ice-cream in the desert sometime if you like; but I'd expect that it's the sun which is truly seen as winnowing the weak from the strong in Khinasi which is what I see as the guiding tenet of Kriesha's faith - to me Kriesha sends winter to kill the weak and unprepared in order to strengthen the tribe as a whole, rather than just to enjoy the suffering that she causes. The desert sun ensures that the weak or foolish are removed from the tribe and so serves a similar effect, the nights are also harsh as you note, but far less dangerously so than the mid-day sun - although it would make an interesting dichotomy for her priesthood in Khinasi to have both aspects revered.

Interesting take on Avani from both you and Ken though, given the benefits that agriculture (common association for sun gods) logic and reasoning bring I'd seen her as generally perceived as a loving goddess by the Khinasi, but you've both made good counter-points I'll have to think about.
    Last edited by AndrewTall; 08-13-2007 at 08:08 PM.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I think Avani is mostly a loving godess from the point of view of the Khinasi, but loving in an Old Testament kind of way, with anger at disobediance and willful defiance. Not the motherly compassion of Nesirie. And not cruel per se, but more cruel (if you have to rank her) than the other friendly gods.

At the end of the Arthur-Gwenevere cycle, you have this dilema for Arthur of compassion for Gwen and Lancelot and the demonstration that the law applied to everyone. The problem Arthur spent his whole life dealing with was civil war and lawlessness. The bigger problem for him was showing that the law was the law even when it hurt. Avani would approve. Pardons are an abuse of power. Mercy from the court is an inviation to err and then seek mercy. Campaigns with Avani in a central spot could involve all kinds of those Arthurian dilemas, I want to help out good people who did one bad thing, but the law is the law is the law. Off with their heads. *weep*

I play Boeruine in a pbem and I decided that cider is a traditional Boeruine beverage. Not that it may bring much to this discussion but anyways.

Oh, I disagree - Boeruine as cider is just wonderful! If the preening peacock
    Avan is the true imagine of the Frenchman, after all, then the northern louts
    over the mountains must be the English. Boeruine makes a perfect Henry VIII;
    in Sword & Crown he even stayed in an outsized golden tent!

So yes, trust the Boeruinies to drink, of all things, cider. Phish!

Downloads
    Uploads
    What if Darien is the architecht of diplomatic layers so that whatever happens every realm is drawn further into Avanil's orbit. A touch of Walsingnham.

What if Lancelot is the true image of a Frenchman?

Downloads
    Uploads
    I see wine being able to be produced anywhere south of the stonecrown mountains. The favorite drink in anuire though is brandy. The rjurik drink mainly mead, the brechts ales, and both of 'em make whiskey that while good cannot compare to anuirean brandy. The khinasi drink wine, but I have heard those of the lowest classes drink something the call beer. As for the Vos, I imagine they drink whatever they can get their hands on. Although I have heard a rumor that in their northern regions they drink fermented varsk milk, but it must be a rumor. I mean, lizards don't produce milk, do they?
    Cattle die and kinsmen die,
    thyself too soon must die,
    but one thing never, I ween, will die, --
    fair fame of one who has earned.
    HAVAMAL

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by willezurmacht View Post
    Oh, I disagree - Boeruine as cider is just wonderful!...
    So yes, trust the Boeruinies to drink, of all things, cider. Phish!
    And what sir, is wrong with a good cider? Particularly triple ice-distilled...

Gin is also probably common in Anuire. The Vos may drink fermented mares milk in the more southerly realms - the mongols did, the Binsadans and some other Khinasi may as well.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Stirring the pot...

Cerilian elves to me seem the least likely to be sitting around being pouncy fairies and drinking 200 year old elderberry wine laced with delicate aromas of rose and boisenberry. "Oh I say do you detect the delicate aftertaste on the back of the palate of the pink lavender blah blah blah"

Give me the Norse mythology Faerie - hard drinking cold Iron fearing mean spirited bastards.

I say sitting around drinking 200 year old malt whiskey or scotch suits the image in my mind but not sure if they would really want to sow the crops and then do all that distilling .... Damn it spirit drinkers I say!

Mabey sitting around drinking 200 year old scotch stolen from some kings vaults and talking about why they lost the war..

Thread Information