ECL and bloodline power level

I noticed that in the original playtest you had to take a template that gave you an ECL if you were a major or great bloodline. It would appear that this was dropped in favor of the two level classes. (interesting idea btw). My question is this, in some later chapters, especially 8, it talks about heirlooms and starting money. Part of that is based on the characters ECL based on bloodline power.

So, how does this work now? Any ideas or discussions I've missed?

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Riggswolfe View Post
    I noticed that in the original playtest you had to take a template that gave you an ECL if you were a major or great bloodline. It would appear that this was dropped in favor of the two level classes. (interesting idea btw). My question is this, in some later chapters, especially 8, it talks about heirlooms and starting money. Part of that is based on the characters ECL based on bloodline power.

So, how does this work now? Any ideas or discussions I've missed?
    Chapter 8 hasn't been revised yet.

But since ECL = class level + LA + racial hit dice, it still works.

Really the scion class itself (n Chap 2) states that you get those benefits if you take 1 level in a scion class as a class ability - so that is what you should be using.

[FONT='Times New Roman','serif']Special Regent Benefits:[FONT='Times New Roman','serif'] A scion gains any special bonuses granted regents due to variants used in the game, for example heirlooms and special equipment[/FONT][/FONT]
    Duane Eggert

Cool. So, if I started my campaign at 3rd level (which I'm planning to do in about a year, 3rd level allowing each PC the chance to have a 2nd level champion and one or more 1st level henchmen/followers/lts.) I would be able to tell my PCs they'd get that stuff if they have the bloodline strength to take that Scion class.

Awesome.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Riggswolfe View Post
    Cool. So, if I started my campaign at 3rd level (which I'm planning to do in about a year, 3rd level allowing each PC the chance to have a 2nd level champion and one or more 1st level henchmen/followers/lts.) I would be able to tell my PCs they'd get that stuff if they have the bloodline strength to take that Scion class.

Awesome.
    And take that level.

One of the main reasons for using a class basis instead of a template one for scions was to allow a scaling for low level characters. Using the classes it is possible to start a 1st level game with a scion with a great bloodline, using the templates it is not since the ECL would be above 1.

It comes down to player choice.

Either they choose to take levels in scion class which grant access to higher level abilities (and those benefits (extra hit points, bonus wealth, etc.) or they take that level(s) in a standard class and get better at standard class stuff.

All comes down to player choice - which way does the player want to go. Nothing is without a trade off of some kind.

This follows the logic in tying in RP collection to ranks in skills. The player chooses to spend his skill points to become good at something (either a better regent or a better standard class).
    Duane Eggert

Thread Information