Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Downloads
    Uploads

Crew of a galleon

In the 2nd ed the crew of a galleon was considered a unit of irregulars when disembarked.

How is this handled in BRSC? I've looked up the galleons on the net and it is stated that a typical crew complement was between 200 and 400 which would justify the 2nd ed rule.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Why would you want to do that?! Wouldn`t you effectively lose the ship if
    you lost that unit of irregulars?

On 7/17/07, Robbie <brnetboard@birthright.net> wrote:
    >
    > This post was generated by the Birthright.net message forum.
    > You can view the entire thread at:
    > http://www.birthright.net/forums/showthread.php?goto=newpost&t=3932
    >
    > Robbie wrote:
    > In the 2nd ed the crew of a galleon was considered a unit of irregulars
    > when disembarked.
    >
    >
    >
    > How is this handled in BRSC? I`ve looked up the galleons on the net and it
    > is stated that a typical crew complement was between 200 and 400 which would
    > justify the 2nd ed rule.
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > Birthright-l Archives:
    > http://oracle.wizards.com/archives/birthright-l.html
    >
    >
    >

Downloads
    Uploads
    I presume he wants to have the crew join a raid to boost the units carried in the hold. I'd be more worried about losing the galleon - if the crew gets killed can whatever other units survive crew the ship? A galleon is an expensive thing to have captured by an enemy, even if you can ransom it back...

Downloads
    Uploads
    The rules don't address converting crew into troops.

If you wanted to I would go with a general rule that if a ship has 3+ hits then you can convert 2 of those hits into a single unit of irregulars. No more than 1 unit per vessel.

But, as Lord Rahvin pointed out this unit is special and must be kept tracked of separately since damge it receives directly affects the ship itself.

Apply any damage this unit receives equally to the ship itself. If the unit dies or deserts then the vessel has permanently lost those hits, until recrewed.

If a damaged crew unit goes back to it's vessel the ship is treated as having that damage until recrewed.

Recrewing is treated as healing unit damage.
    Duane Eggert

Downloads
    Uploads
    Lord Rahvin schrieb:
    > Why would you want to do that?! Wouldn`t you effectively lose the
    > ship if
    > you lost that unit of irregulars?
    According to the 2E rules, no. If you lost the unit of irregulars you
    could "replenish" the ships marines by hiring for 1 GB in the next
    friendly port.

It was not the entire crew, but the part of the crew of a *large* ship
    (galleon/roundship) or ship dedicated to warfare only (Zhebec) that was
    expendable to fight on land.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Brecht and Rjurik came with special marines units. The Brecht marines were presumably part of the crew, the Rjurik I think represent the whole crew in the viking style.

Downloads
    Uploads
    It was not the entire crew, but the part of the crew of a *large*
    ship
    (galleon/roundship) or ship dedicated to warfare only (Zhebec) that was
    expendable to fight on land.
    I thought that was represented by the troops being carried...

Downloads
    Uploads
    Thing is, galleons could be sailed by a skeleton crew, since they took into consideration the effects of disease, malnutrition etc, which isn't a factor in Birthright since the distances are so small. No new worlds to sail to

The reason I asked this is because I'm trying to imagine a naval nation like Mieres, Suriene, Ghamoura or any pirate for that matter.

These realms or individuals could invest in ships and not care much for land armies. You bring a half dozen galleons/zebecs/roundships and you can unload 3-4 units from the crew complement on an unsuspecting and undefended province (meaning that you leave a portion of the crew aboard to control and sail the ship should something happen)......
    Last edited by Robbie; 07-18-2007 at 11:39 PM.

Downloads
    Uploads
    The 2nd ed rules (both in Cities of the Sun and Naval Battles):

Roundships, galleons and zebecs are so large that they all carry small contingents of marines as part of their crews. These marines can function as one unit of irregulars if landed on enemy shores, making them handy for quick raids or other such missions. The marines must remain in the same province as their ship unless either the units or the vessel is destroyed. If the marines die, the ship’s boarding value falls to 0 until the regent replaces them by spending 1 GB and mustering troops in any of his ports during the domain turn.
    Which fits pretty well with what I suggested above to use for house-rules.

The problem with "marines" as a designation in the 2nd ed material is that there wasn't anything specified as a "benefit" or "attribute" that they possessed. It was merely a "label" that carried no actual game mechanic attributes with it. At least the BRCS put something there.
    Duane Eggert

Downloads
    Uploads
    > irdeggman wrote:
    > The 2nd ed rules (both in Cities of the Sun and Naval Battles):
    >
    > ------------ QUOTE ----------
    > Roundships, galleons and zebecs are so large that they all carry small contingents of marines as part of their crews. These marines can function as one unit of irregulars if landed on enemy shores, making them handy for quick raids or other such missions. The marines must remain in the same province as their ship unless either the units or the vessel is destroyed. If the marines die, the ship?s boarding value falls to 0 until the regent replaces them by spending 1 GB and mustering troops in any of his ports during the domain turn.
    > -----------------------------
    >
    >
    > ------------ QUOTE ----------
    > Which fits pretty well with what I suggested above to use for house-rules.
    >
    > The problem with "marines" as a designation in the 2nd ed material is that there wasn`t anything specified as a "benefit" or "attribute" that they possessed. It was merely a "label" that carried no actual game mechanic attributes with it. At least the BRCS put something there.
    > -----------------------------

No mechanic attribute except the explicite rule that those special "marines" are *a unit of irregulars* (which existed as a war card unit)?
    Last edited by Thelandrin; 07-19-2007 at 05:21 PM. Reason: Less confusion about quotes in post

Thread Information