Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by ryancaveney View Post
    Summoning elementals or creating golems is also very useful since those creatures tend to have good damage reduction, so can easily smash their way through very large numbers of normal soldiers.

Ryan
    Not just any Elemental you know, Titanium Elementals!!!
    Regent of Medoere

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Elton Robb View Post
    Not just any Elemental you know, Titanium Elementals!!!
    I like Chlorine Elementals even better -- they're self-mobile Cloudkill spells! Sodium Elementals would cause impressive explosions, but they wouldn't last long. Plutonium Elementals even more so, and the radioactivity is a drag if you want to live there afterwards... =)

Ryan

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by void View Post
    I think the dispute about whether the elves magic everything or not, or have buildings can be solved by saying that the elves are really accomplished in geomancy. When they build houses, they build on geomantic principles to not disturb chi flow ( meghblaih). The human wizard from the above example wouldn't be able to rule his province without decreasing the source because all the buildings would have to be built using geomancy. Unless the wizard personally does this, or trains large enough numbers of engineers to be experts in geomancy that every building is magic flow friendly, he reduces the source when increasing his populace.

If you go from the other thread where the people are already there and you are actually just upping your control of the populace, that makes the wizard's attempt to skirt the rules even easier to deny.
    Hmm, there's an interesting idea, although you'd need to stop anyone learning their secrets somehow... I had a look through various books (handy when arguing canon you read a while ago, as expected support for both sides and neither, occasionally both on the same page...) and the descriptions from realm write ups vary tremendously. Some describe either nothing (Tuarheviel's realm write up has the thorn throne a glade surrounded by trees, similarly for Rhuannoch - although it has comments of homes in trees and under hills, others describe ancient 'celestial' cities of crystal and stone (LLuarbriaght, Sielwode) while the phrase 'perfect harmony with nature' while recurrent can be read in many ways...

The real issue on sources however is clearing of land for crops, damning of rivers, roads, etc - I struggle to see how any of this can be done in harmony with nature - I first considered the need for elves to be sustained directly by mebhaighl when considering the fruit and seeds necessary to sustain the population without agriculture and the knock on effect on insects and therefore also birdlife...

I'll probably write up the stuff I've seen in canon and what I consider obvious implications on a page in the wiki rather than clog up people's inboxes. Similarly how I square the comments on nobility in some realms (i.e. Llua, Tuarheviel) with lack in others (i.e. Coullabhie) and the implications I see from immortality on social structure...

Downloads
    Uploads

One of the Elvish architecture and city ideas comes from material that they use in their Spelljammer craft. It is living crystal. It grows and needs to be trimmed on their ships, but in a city it could be trimmed as any plant to form complex structures that meld with the natural trees around their cities.

It could also be a material that they use to make products and resources in their trade. They could easilly shape the crystal into weapons then alter the spell Glasssteel to be Crystalsteel. This would offer an alternative construction material to another issue brought up previously about their need for ores and metals. Why bother when you can replace is with a specially fashioned, light weight, and specially shaped material that could form anything from a basket to a 2 handed sword. A structures wall to a wheel rim. All with the strength of steel.

Oh and it regrows, so you don't have to find a new source later on.

They could do well using the living crystal idea, even if they are not part of the true spelljamming races of the phlo.

Later

BTW....I would go with the Plutonium 238 elemental from the deep elemental plane of earth....I really should send a message to Rhoube about it.
    Last edited by MatanThunder; 06-22-2007 at 03:12 AM.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by MatanThunder View Post

One of the Elvish architecture and city ideas comes from material that they use in their Spelljammer craft. It is living crystal. It grows and needs to be trimmed on their ships, but in a city it could be trimmed as any plant to form complex structures that meld with the natural trees around their cities.

It could also be a material that they use to make products and resources in their trade. They could easilly shape the crystal into weapons then alter the spell Glasssteel to be Crystalsteel. This would offer an alternative construction material to another issue brought up previously about their need for ores and metals. Why bother when you can replace is with a specially fashioned, light weight, and specially shaped material that could form anything from a basket to a 2 handed sword. A structures wall to a wheel rim. All with the strength of steel.

Oh and it regrows, so you don't have to find a new source later on.

They could do well using the living crystal idea, even if they are not part of the true spelljamming races of the phlo.

Later

BTW....I would go with the Plutonium 238 elemental from the deep elemental plane of earth....I really should send a message to Rhoube about it.

Well Sielwoode has a crystal palace, that supposedly nature built itself for the Sidhe, so You can use Your idea in that example...
    "If the wizards and students who lived here centuries ago had practiced control - in their spellcasting and in their dealings with the politics of the empire - you would be studying in a tall tower made by the best dwarf stone masons, not in an old military barracks."
    Applied Thaumaturgy Lector of the Royal College of Sorcery to new generation of students.

Ehrshegh of Spelling Thelandrin's Avatar
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I get the suspicion that people have been reading Rich Burlew's sublime The Order of the Stick comic strip

Downloads
    Uploads

I get the suspicion that people have been reading Rich Burlew's sublime The Order of the Stick comic strip
    I think that Spelljammer might just predate that comic strip...I've never seen it.

The elves tweak (with respect) nature into the forms they desire. The whole living crystal aspects of the society could provide quite a lot for the society.

Crystal Palace....maybe the Cerilian Elves really did start up the Spelljammer races of the elves.....

Later

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Thelandrin View Post
    I certainly have -- I think it's the single best gaming cartoon ever! And yes, you old timers, even better than the Foglios' "What's New With Phil and Dixie." Of course, the art is intentionally nowhere near that good, but the writing is amazing.

Matan -- it's certainly more than a decade newer than Spelljammer, but it is a reference for titanium and chlorine elementals. You should check it out.

Ryan

Thread Information