Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Sword Mage

Downloads
    Uploads

The Sword Mage

Discussion thread for The Sword Mage. If you would like to add a comment, click the Post Reply button.

Those interested in finishing out the Sword Mage, there's a start for you. I was debating making him a War Wizard or a Battle Mage from Mongoose's Battle Magic: The Eldritch Storm. I'll let you decide what it is.

Downloads
    Uploads

Sword Mage The. Brainstorm.

Seems to me that nothing has been written about them except for rumours - so a mysterious character who hides their identity for some reason is about all you have - with some suspicion of Vos links.

The other suggestion is that they are somewhat mercenary and not a simple vassal.

Mage that likes to use a sword...
    You could model him/her on the Raven as a fighter/mage.
    Or prehaps has a penchant for using sword spells.

A Cloak of swords - Powerful Magic item or Special blood power/form which not only obscures her/his identity but makes attacks on anyone in melee.
    Aka thorns. and more.

Could even be one of the Ghoeres Minor Nobles who has access to courtly circles but is not known as the sword mage.

Does not even have to be Vos as that could be a carefully constructed persona to mislead people. - why not spread rumors that the sword mage is Vos and male because you can speak Vos fluently and hide your true identity more effectively as one of the courts apparently demure Ladies.

1/2 Vos?

When seen is surrounded by a cloak with many hanging blades (think leaf mail) that ripples and seperates changing colour sinuously. Occasionally (particularly if displeased) blades appear, suddenly not just part of the cloth becoming tangiable and flickering out for just an instant before sliding back into the "cloth". An illusion surrounding them or something more....

Downloads
    Uploads
    The Sword Mage details and description is in The Book of Magecraft (AD&D Birthright)...

And his/her (since gender is unknown) portrait (the one I coloured)...

Cheers...
    "If the wizards and students who lived here centuries ago had practiced control - in their spellcasting and in their dealings with the politics of the empire - you would be studying in a tall tower made by the best dwarf stone masons, not in an old military barracks."
    Applied Thaumaturgy Lector of the Royal College of Sorcery to new generation of students.

Downloads
    Uploads
    He is a Vos but he speaks only Anuirean and elven languages?

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by vota dc View Post
    He is a Vos but he speaks only Anuirean and elven languages?
    I think all we can conclude from the description is that as far as Anuireans know, he has only been heard to speak Anuirean and Sidhelien.

Downloads
    Uploads
    It is said that the Sword Mage hails from Vosgaard and draws additional power by summoning fiends. Though the rumor is unsubstantiated, it's enough to keep anyone from contesting the Sword Mage's source holdings.

Retrieved from "http://www.birthright.net/brwiki/index.php/The_Sword_Mage"

Languages Anuirean, Sidhelien

An unsubstantiated rumor that they are Vos and they don't even speak it - is this an oversight? Suggests more to me that this is a rumour.

Mabey Anuireans assume anyone that summons fiends is from Vos but even the summoning of fiends could be an unsubstantiated rumour.

I was suggesting some possible reasons for this above.

You can either assume the rumour is true and the last Wizard scion who attempted to contest the sword mages holdings was eaten by fiends and that the sword mage hails Vos or create some details as to why this rumour would be spread.

Downloads
    Uploads
    The book of magecraft gives a bit more information. P40. Including stats.

And suggests that the swordmage likes dueling opponents with a sabre (has 2nd ed proficiency) including swordsman.

So I would suggest sabre rather than longsword. Weapon expertise? considering a low str and high dex.

Cloak of swords has +10 armour. (AC0 2nd ed)
    and one of its blades adds +2 armour (probably deflection bonus)
    other blades give additional.

so including dex an armour of 25 without spells or other smaller items.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I don't have the Book of Magecraft, or else I would have fixed it. Why not edit him/her yourself?

Elton.
    Regent of Medoere

Downloads
    Uploads
    I'm currently on my break at work but will bring book of magecraft tommorrow and see what I can do. (unless someone has already)

I reluctant to put in all the things I would like as I have a tendancy to make already mean things meaner. especially when they are slightly ambigious.

Another thought occurs that considering that 2nd ed stats are set and difficult to alter after character generation and 3rd ed gives stats every 4th level then when updating shouldn't the NPC's be given stats for every 4 levels as part of their upgrade to 3.5?

Mabey this has already been discussed but I haven't read it anywhere.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Depending on what the character looks like I've generally assumed that ability score improvements have already occured. But, I 'd go case by case.

Thread Information