Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Dcolby View Post
    However in both 2 ed and 3.5 a party between 11th and 14th level could hope to give the 19th level Manslayer at least a scare. If not perform some outright heroic deads.

The 3.5 32 level epic Rhoubhe is nigh untouchable by the typical power levels described by the setting and therefore free to cleanse the humans from Cerillia.
    Well actually in 2nd ed his level was equivalently muchhigher thanhis mere class levels.

He had a rating of 21,000 xp (Blood Enemies pg 73). Using the table in the 2nd ed DMG (pg 69 Table 31) to figure back fit his "level" from that xp total.

He ends up being a 31st level equivalent character.

13 or more hit dice or level = 3,000 xp + 1,000 xp per Hit Die (or level) over 13

21,000 - 3,000 = 18,000

18,000/1,000 = 18

total level equivalent = 13 + 18 = 31

So even with a straight up level conversion he is still roughly the same "power level". So a party between 11 and 14th level would still not come close to his "power level".
    Duane Eggert

Downloads
    Uploads
    Actually there is something very obvious which stops a L32 Roubhe from attacking the courts of the realms around him - his L0 or L1 people. Boeruine may not be able to kill a L32 Rhoubhe, but he could - easily - burn Rhoubhe's forest to the ground killing everything within it, sow the ground with salt, and so destroy the elf's hopes of someday restoring the elves to prominence.

Rhoubhe may have the drive to gain level after level, but to me the bulk of his people should be cherished - they don't need to follow his ways, but should instead live as the elves of old times did, free of all cares guarded by a handful who have sacrificed their joy to learn the arts of war. I'd have a few hundred tough gheallie sidhe with the rest of the population 'normal' and thus vulnerable to a major war. In that scenario Rhoubhe can raid, but not start a war since it would end in his peoples destruction.

Hmm, when I planned out S&C I had Rhoubhe return with the PC's and thoroughly enjoy baiting nobles into duels, winning every single event of skill to prove elven superiority, openly boast to Boeruine that Aubrae promised him the forested Boeruine provinces, and generally amuse himself tumbling the human realms fell into discord...

I'd make Rhoubhe a L6 ranger, L16 sorcerer, L4 scion of Azrai. Still easily strong enough to make a PC party under L16 be almost sure to face defeat, but (assuming his constitution is not ridiculous) leaving him weak enough to be potentially vulnerable. Some of those sorcerer levels might be in an anwshegh class that gives spellcasting, or similarly the ranger levels. It depends whether you see Rhoubhe as a spell slinger or a sword swinger, I see the Gorgon as a sword swinger so make Rhoubhe the spell slinger.

Actually, according to the 3rd edition conversion manual PDF from WotC, an NPC or PC with more than one class was converted as follows:

1. Find the highest level the character has reached in any class. For example, Rhoube is a 16th-level fighter/15th-level wizard. His highest level is 16.

2. Divide each level the character has achieved in any other class by three and round down. If the result rounds down to 0, record a 1 instead. For example, Rhoube’s remaining levels are 15; 15 ÷ 3 = 5.

3. Add the numbers you got in step 2 to the number you got in step 1. This equals the character’s level in the new edition of the D&D game. In Rhoube’s case, 16 + 5 = 21.

4. You can divide up the levels among classes any way you see fit. For example, Rhoube could become an 11th-level fighter/10th-level wizard, or a 16th-level fighter/5th-level wizard, or any other combination of wizard, and fighter levels that adds up to 21.

Eldritch Knight levels would probably bump up his power a bit, or for something different, Arcane Archer levels.

I've found this formula to work really well for almost all my NPC's from dark sun and other 2nd edition worlds, so feel free to use it how you will. It creates a powerful enough NPC to mimic what their 2nd edition challenge level was, while keeping in line with the new 3.5 edition rules and not going way over the top.

I recall some people converting dragon kings from dark sun (22 level wizard / 22 level psionicists) into 44th level NPC's with templates on top of that. And while its cool to see uber powerful enemies like that, virtually nobody will game that long that they can survive an encounter with that kind CR level. As DM's I feel its more important to press on the players the overwhelming power that such an NPC commands in other ways than just listing off insanely powerful stats.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Much more important that paying any attention to the conversion manual are the arguments put forward in the post on the Manslayer. The major villains need to be powerful enough that they can't be bowled over too soon by characters merely on their way up, but not so powerful that the players will never have a snowflakes chance of surviving a wayward glance by the NPC at their peak of prowess. The major NPC's will have to be scaled to whether the DM wants a low-level, mid-level, or high to epic campaign.

Also, DM's will sometimes look at the abominations they have and want to mix up the power levels to present a different kind of threat. My own latest campiagn will feature a 19th level Siren, because I want an abomination to strike out around the mid-level for the players and be tough enough that the players have to have their ducks in a row to take her out. The Siren presented in the books was simply too easy.

At one point, when one of my players saw somewhere the official power level of the Siren, he thought, out of character, about taking her out. It would be certainly heroic and he might get some of those precious xp that came so dearly once a PC gets into mid-level. I hinted around that while that might be the official write-up, one had to wonder what I might have done to her. He never pursued such a plan in-character.

Ehrshegh of Spelling Thelandrin's Avatar
    Downloads
    Uploads
    As I've said before, the Darkwood Stalker PrC makes for an admirable Sidhe human-slayer. A Rgr/Ftr/Sor/Eld/Dark would make for an awesomely powerful awnshegh, without going into silly epic (30th plus).

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by hirumatogeru View Post
    Actually, according to the 3rd edition conversion manual PDF from WotC, an NPC or PC with more than one class was converted as follows:

1. Find the highest level the character has reached in any class. For example, Rhoube is a 16th-level fighter/15th-level wizard. His highest level is 16.

2. Divide each level the character has achieved in any other class by three and round down. If the result rounds down to 0, record a 1 instead. For example, Rhoube’s remaining levels are 15; 15 ÷ 3 = 5.

3. Add the numbers you got in step 2 to the number you got in step 1. This equals the character’s level in the new edition of the D&D game. In Rhoube’s case, 16 + 5 = 21.

4. You can divide up the levels among classes any way you see fit. For example, Rhoube could become an 11th-level fighter/10th-level wizard, or a 16th-level fighter/5th-level wizard, or any other combination of wizard, and fighter levels that adds up to 21.

Eldritch Knight levels would probably bump up his power a bit, or for something different, Arcane Archer levels.

I've found this formula to work really well for almost all my NPC's from dark sun and other 2nd edition worlds, so feel free to use it how you will. It creates a powerful enough NPC to mimic what their 2nd edition challenge level was, while keeping in line with the new 3.5 edition rules and not going way over the top.
    Good follow up on finding the correct text in the Conversion Manual.

One thing it fails to cover though is the fact that Rhoube also has the equivalent of monster levels (in 3.5 terminology) in addition to class levels. Those are what bumped up his xp rating in 2nd ed so much. So another 2 or 3 should probably be added to his "level", which would actually end up translating into a higher CR than his class level.
    Duane Eggert

Downloads
    Uploads

A small point is that not one of you has looked at Rhoube as an evolving NPC....he never gains levels????......he never changes his class or perceptions?????

Any NPC an evolve as the PC's do....so the 19th lvl Rhouble of 2nd ed (my system) could well become more powerful as the PC's do, especially through conquest and personal questing as an NPC......it is a neverending cycle.

There is no real comparison for levels and stats in 2nd ed vs 3.??. Yes you can convert them, but there are very few DM's available that are going to let you move the PC's one way or the other.

But Rhoube could easilly gain levels and still make the game a challenge...how about he reaches lv 18 as a mage......learns the Stasis Clone spell, and when he dies he always turns up somewhere else....then the PC's still get the EXP, but like the Everyready Bunny....he keeps going, and going, and going....

Later

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by kgauck View Post
    The major villains need to be powerful enough that they can't be bowled over too soon by characters merely on their way up, but not so powerful that the players will never have a snowflakes chance of surviving a wayward glance by the NPC at their peak of prowess.
    But that is exactly the effect I want from the Manslayer, at least if I am running a non-elven campaign; that is, as a potential ally, his power has to be much less than if he is an enemy. From the POV of the humans, I don't want him to be the Witch-King of Angmar, or even Sauron -- I want him to be *Morgoth*, whose wayward glance no PC will ever be powerful enough to survive. I want him to be the kind of foe that can only be faced by appealing to an external higher power: you can't ever fight him directly, you can only have Earendil sail to Aman to ask the Valar to fight him for you. To make a D&D analogy, I want it to be similar to the part of Temple of Elemental Evil where Iuz shows up, and the party's goal is simply to survive until St. Cuthbert appears to protect them, then he and Iuz disappear to handle things on their own somewhere else. Even if a human PC reunited not only Anuire, but all of Cerilia under his banner, I would never let him conquer Rhoubhe's one lone province by purely military means; I would instead require a major adventure quest to convince the gods or some other equivalently powerful extraplanar beings to fight Rhoubhe for him.

Ryan

Downloads
    Uploads
    Everyone seems to be moderating their NPC's to suit their needs as Gm's - which is exactly what they should do. I

I found that a variety of regents were far too weak to have any respect from my pcs - bumping almost all low level regents by about 5 levels for my campaign and warning players that none of the book entries necessarily were correct was a start. Some low level regents were "front men" for powerful figures in the background.

All powerful intelligent opponents should have the ability to gain levels, items and power.

In fact I would suggest that if; in any of the senarios run, the players annoyed Rhoube sufficiently he would classify them as enemies, gather information on them and probably hurt them - before they became a sufficient threat to hurt him - thus inflaming their desire to get back at him!

If they turned up with powers and items gathered over several years to finally confront him they may be suprised by the turn of events....

Clones and slaying arrows with the PC's name on them would probably be the least of their worries. He would know almost everything about them and their abilities.

Planning for eventualities is the sort of thing that keeps you alive for a long long time in a dangerous world and Rhoube has lived a very long time... His actual level and threat level would not necessarily reflect his true danger.

Tactically Rhoube to me is a hit and run sort of guy. Having an arrow duel with someone with extra range and the ability to imbue his arrows with spells + being immune to arrows himself strikes me as Rhoubes sort of thing. Travel(teleport/Dimension door etc) if threatened.
    Getting bogged down in a slug fest where he can't control the variables - Not.

Strategically Rhoube is in the middle of a bunch of Hostiles - In one of the biggest fortresses around. - if he makes an obvious move on anyone the surrounding Kingdoms would register him as a large threat and combine to eradicate him (forgetting their petty differences for a while to dish it to the old enemy). Getting to him at the moment is difficult and not worth the trouble.
    If he doesn't do any major damage (at least thats traceable to him) the status Quo is maintained.

He also in my understanding has no wish to rule a human kingdom - just to kill them all.

His aim therefore has to be to foster the human bickering and cause even greater skism and collapse in the empire. If he can engineer great destruction and warfare between human nations and weaken them sufficiently then he might find great opportunities.

Small opportunities might present themselves - If Alam invaded Tournen I'm sure Rhoube wouldn't mind eradicating the population of a couple of Tournen's provinces while their armies were busy fighting Alamies army.

People would probably even blame Alam - because thats what the expect Man slayer to do given the opportunity.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by AndrewTall View Post
    Actually there is something very obvious which stops a L32 Roubhe from attacking the courts of the realms around him - his L0 or L1 people. Boeruine may not be able to kill a L32 Rhoubhe, but he could - easily - burn Rhoubhe's forest to the ground killing everything within it, sow the ground with salt, and so destroy the elf's hopes of someday restoring the elves to prominence.
    I think his people are untouchable by mortal means. No amount of human effort is getting past his magical protections on his lands. In fact, there's no reason at all why his province isn't Warded essentially permanently, so that only he can come and go whenever he feels like bathing in the blood of a few thousand humans.

Ryan

Thread Information