Downloads
    Uploads

Armor and Defence

Or is it Armour and Defense?

Quote Originally Posted by ShadowMoon View Post
    Since in my campaign I use Wounds instead of Hit Points, and Armor Absorbation instead of stupid basic AC my players can get hacked too by their guards, and they are lvl 10-13 now...
    I'm always keen to hear about combat systems, and I have some questions.
    Is armor absorption the same as damage reduction? How much is assigned for light. medium, and heavy armors? Do you increase damage any to compensate?

Here's why I ask. If Armor reduction is the same as DR, then using a lot of DR means you kind of have to increase damage to compensate, since DR is more reliable than a few points of AC (since it always applies). But increasing damage makes combat less predictable. Of course, this is more realistic, combat is unpredictable in real life. And depending on how "brittle" characters are, those 10-13 lvl characters you mention might still get laid low pretty easily if the right combination of die rolls turn up.

Again, a vitality/wounds system is more brittle than normal hp, but more realistic, so I imagine these are all desirable outcomes for you. Do explain what varients you use in combat. Thanks

Downloads
    Uploads
    i used game of thrones system once and,well i was not so excited, it is realistic but is boring, the single duel can last for hours depending on dices.

I can't remember the exact details, but Spycraft has one of the more interesting D20 style combat systems. It still uses the same basics, but aside from using wound/vitality it also implements fortitude saves depending on the damage you receive in a round to see if you remain fully combat capable or not.

It also deals with multiple attacks in a more elegant way in my opinion. It does not use full round actions, nor do you gain multiple attacks from a high attack bonus, instead you get 2 actions each round (usable for attacks or moves, for example) and you can get feats to gain more attacks, but those attacks will force your initiative to drop.

Personally I am still looking for a good opposed attack system instead of rolling against a set AC, preferably where armor will give you DR and the defensive roll will be determined by concealment and the agility and skill of the defender. (In such a setup either attack bonuses must be harder to gain or defense bonuses more easy to gain otherwise people will hit 90% of the timeno matter the skill of the defender)

Downloads
    Uploads

Defense is gained with levels, like in Star Wars d20. It is depending on class in question, but since I use no classes in its traditional form, it is feat-based. This depicts that with experience characters learn how to defend themselves better, not only how to attack (I always found it stupid that BAB goes higher, but defense is locked to gear only; and yeah I use feat-like approach to BAB too, as well to Saves, Skill Points and everything, and You get feats with character points that you get with experience.).

Armors have minimum Armor Defense bonus to depict their deflection ability.

Armor Absorbation is almost the same as Damage Reduction, but damage that it absorbs are taken from its durability, thus in time lessening the original armor absorbation, and potentionally deflection. Important note is that while it reduces damage it is not the same as damage reduction because it turns damage into lesser type, not negate it. Like Wound to Stamina, and Stamina to Subdual... Only Subdual damage can be negated with reduction.

Weapons deal damage as per Core rules, just critical is modified, because critical does wound damage, and you have wound points equal to your constitution no matter the level.

Character Defense is not counted for taking 10 like in core rules, players here actively roll defense against the attack if they are able to defend themselves. If not, they don't get defensive roll., but various defensive modifiers still counts, to depict their armor, spell effects, etc.

There are a lot more of core rule changes I made in my campaigns, that affects combat and such, but you asked about armor...
    Last edited by ShadowMoon; 06-11-2007 at 12:31 PM.
    "If the wizards and students who lived here centuries ago had practiced control - in their spellcasting and in their dealings with the politics of the empire - you would be studying in a tall tower made by the best dwarf stone masons, not in an old military barracks."
    Applied Thaumaturgy Lector of the Royal College of Sorcery to new generation of students.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by kgauck View Post
    Or is it Armour and Defense?
    Well it is Armour and Defense for me, but not many uses these forms, so I don't press it...

^^;
    "If the wizards and students who lived here centuries ago had practiced control - in their spellcasting and in their dealings with the politics of the empire - you would be studying in a tall tower made by the best dwarf stone masons, not in an old military barracks."
    Applied Thaumaturgy Lector of the Royal College of Sorcery to new generation of students.

Downloads
    Uploads

And I forgot to add; I use the Star Wars d20 approach on heroics too.
    This means that only heroic characters (in core rules, characters with class levels) have Stamina Points, which means that a PC could strike down any non-heroic character real fast (all damage goes to wound points). And I use Action Points as seen in Eberron setting, and in similar form in SW d20 (force points). And as a counter part for physical scores like Wounds and Stamina there are mental ones too; Sanity and Focus.

In short:

Health (Wounds) = Constitution
    Stamina = base is 1d4 + Con Mod. per Level.
    Sanity = Wisdom
    Focus = base is 1d4 + Wis Mod. per Level.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I use Arms Law from ICE. Armor is deliniated by armor type. And the critical strikes are scary sometimes. After all, you're in the middle of a fireball, there is a possibility that your body will be burned to dust (though 3rd degree burns and infection is the most likely result).
    Regent of Medoere

Downloads
    Uploads
    And my Initiative is a bit different.

It gets Dex & Int modifiers... Because to be able to respond quickly one has to think quick as well as act...

Downloads
    Uploads

And finally; I use metric system...

Thread Information