• Or, a hart salient sable

13 54.17%
  • other

2 8.33%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by AndrewTall View Post
    The 'simple' one just has the tongue sticking out and that gaping eye... it follows me around the room and suggests madness...
    I agree it's distinctly eerie, but it's the one Marlae's wearing on her surcoat in Ruins of Empire. I'll just fill in the eye and be happy with my vote for it.

Ryan

Downloads
    Uploads
    When I responded to the 60% perponderance for Or, a Hart Sable, I renamed that image Roesone.png, and then renamed the PS image Roesone2.png and they switched in the pictures of the poll.

I'd already gone with Sorontar's suggestion.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sorontar
    Why not make the full black stag the arms and the couped stag as the symbol/informal insignia for use among the populace/armies?
    Indeed the use of the couped image does appear to be worn more like a badge than a display of arms.

Now it looks like the last three comments have refered to the accidental apperance of the PS arms as one of the poll questions. Opps.

Ehrshegh of Spelling Thelandrin's Avatar
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Definitely the leaping hart. The erased head just looks eerie and a little maddened.

Downloads
    Uploads
    One point I need to make -- the hart used in the second example is not in a default posture of 'statant', but is instead 'trippant', and probably should be blazoned as such....

Downloads
    Uploads
    the blazon has been adjusted

Downloads
    Uploads
    To quote Encyclopaedia Romana (http://penelope.uchicago.edu/~grout/...rs/blazon.html) :
    the attitude of the lion is classified first by the attitude of the body, the position of the head, and then by the position of the tail (the queue), for example: salient, springing, with both hind paws on the ground; passant, walking, the right forepaw raised, with its head in profile (a stag or hart is said to be trippant); statant, all four paws on the ground; sejant, sitting (in various attitudes); couchant, crouching (a stag or hart is lodged); dormant, crouching but with the head lowered. All these attitudes (except the last) are further refined by the position of the head (guardant, facing the spectator, in which case the lion was termed a leopard, or reguardant, looking backwards), and tail (which, if not erect, is extended, coward, or nowed, knotted). A beast also can be said to be courant, running, and issuant, rising
    I believe that will mean that the leaping hart is a salient stag. The trippant stag is the one on the cumboursome multi-shielded image. A good check is Google Images for "trippant stag" versus "salient stag".

Sorontar, a wannabe herald.

Downloads
    Uploads
    and re-adjusted

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Sorontar View Post
    To quote Encyclopaedia Romana (http://penelope.uchicago.edu/~grout/...rs/blazon.html) :

I believe that will mean that the leaping hart is a salient stag. The trippant stag is the one on the cumboursome multi-shielded image. A good check is Google Images for "trippant stag" versus "salient stag".

Sorontar, a wannabe herald.
    My bad -- it's been a while since I'd done serious blazon... 'Salient' it is, sometimes referred to as 'springing'.

Thread Information