Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Prince

Downloads
    Uploads

The Prince

Would anyone like a link to Niccolò Machiavelli's The Prince? I found one on the Gutenberg Project that everyone can read. Another thing we can do is put the entire The Prince on the Wiki.
    Regent of Medoere

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Elton Robb View Post
    Would anyone like a link to Niccolò Machiavelli's The Prince? I found one on the Gutenberg Project that everyone can read. Another thing we can do is put the entire The Prince on the Wiki.
    I already have it , but still think many parts of it should be part of the B-right scripture and Canon. Does anyone have his Discorsi on the Republic?

In my opinion we could also put up some simple IR theory on balance of power/ threat and negotiation processes (prisoners’ dilemma & Cooperation game).

Ehrshegh of Spelling Thelandrin's Avatar
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Please do, Elton. It may well be a fascinating read. Sun Tzu's The Art of War may well be interesting too.

Wink Oops

Whoa, now I feel old. Book of five rings, art of war (war is no art, unless you like glorified butchery), the prince by N.M. and other classics.

In Germany the miracle is that the younger generations can still read at all, at least, as far as Pisa studies proclaim them to be...

Downloads
    Uploads
    Here is the link to The Prince: http://www.gutenberg.org/etext/1232 .

Here is the link to The Art of War: http://www.gutenberg.org/etext/20594 (The Art of War is an audio book). Non-Audio Book link: http://www.gutenberg.org/etext/132 .
    Last edited by Elton Robb; 05-31-2007 at 12:06 PM.
    Regent of Medoere

Ehrshegh of Spelling Thelandrin's Avatar
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Pauper View Post
    In Germany the miracle is that the younger generations can still read at all, at least, as far as Pisa studies proclaim them to be...
    Thanks for that, Elton.

I was under the impression that Pisa was in Italy, Pauper. Why would an Italian study be looking at young Germans?

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Sir Tiamat View Post
    I already have it , but still think many parts of it should be part of the B-right scripture and Canon.
    So do I! Happily, some of it already is. Take a look at this gem from the Book of Regency:

"I pride myself on my honor, but I do not deceive myself into thinking personal honor and the honor of a regent are the same thing. A regent does what she must to keep her realm secure -- to do less would be dishonorable and dangerous. As a result, a regent may resort to what seem like dishonorable or questionable actions in order to preserve the integrity of her realm." -- Marlae Roesone, page 53.

Does anyone have his Discorsi on the Republic?
    It's on Gutenberg, too: http://www.gutenberg.org/etext/10827 Woohoo!

In my opinion we could also put up some simple IR theory on balance of power/ threat and negotiation processes (prisoners’ dilemma & Cooperation game).
    I'm one of the most mathematical people around here, and while I do enjoy game theory I think most people on this list would prefer less numerical works. =) Among those, one I recently read and strongly recommend is "The Tragedy of Great Power Politics", by John J. Mearsheimer: http://www.amazon.com/Tragedy-Great-.../dp/039332396X

Ryan

Downloads
    Uploads
    More important that just copies of the Prince and the Discourses, I think would be Cerillian commentary on these texts.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by kgauck View Post
    More important that just copies of the Prince and the Discourses, I think would be Cerillian commentary on these texts.
    Right, in my view we should not simply copy-paste, but rather select relevant texts and atribute the examples to cerillian figures and history.

We could go with a single author or various authors

Downloads
    Uploads
    Various authors and invented texts makes the most sense. It allows different authors to have a different voice and different point of view. It allows some authors to select examples from the West Coast of Anuire, while another consistantly selects examples from the Great Bay. Some may adopt the voice of a courtly advisor to a regent, another might adopt the tone of a Priest of Haelyn.

Thread Information