Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Downloads
    Uploads

expirience awards

haw much expirience do you recieve or award per game/adventure/quest........
    I am starting this thread to show my G.M. that he is way to stingy, because after 2 years of real time ( 10 years in Game),recreation of the empire, adventuring, fighting orogs,goblins,elves,Gorgon, we are only 4th level

Downloads
    Uploads
    I use the CR system of 3.5 (since I no longer play 2nd ed).

I also do not award xp for domain actions - they have their own inherent awards (like status, RP, GB and the like).
    Duane Eggert

Downloads
    Uploads
    Your DM may just prefer low level play, and looking at the books and how low level a lot of major rulers are, wanted to keep to that spirit.

Downloads
    Uploads

2nd Ed Grants full experience value by hit dice to those using class related powers, skills, melee abilities, spell casting, etc.... For use of magic items that mimic class powers related to the PC class the awards are also full.

I award 1/2 Exp for actions that aren't directly derived from PC class, skills, race. They are acting out of character.

For avoiding melee and using the ol' brain pan for something other than head butting the competition into submission I award 10% of the total creatures avoided to the PC. So it still pays to avoid conflict, and can lead to some bling if they can sneak away with it.

There are also those one time bonuses (1-5K) for just plain great ideas (or something funny that lends a sense of flavor to the game). Jack Frost the 1/2 Frost Giant once got the 5K for jamming a lance up a frozen horses nether regions looking at the rest of the party and pronouncing, "Horse on a stick"!!!! It had the group rolling on the floor....or you just might of had to be there to get it.

Don't be afraid to award innovative thought, and unique uses of class/skills/race abilities.

Later

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by irdeggman View Post
    I use the CR system of 3.5 (since I no longer play 2nd ed).

I also do not award xp for domain actions - they have their own inherent awards (like status, RP, GB and the like).
    so as our GM (but we still are low levels )

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by kgauck View Post
    Your DM may just prefer low level play, and looking at the books and how low level a lot of major rulers are, wanted to keep to that spirit.
    yes but in some point of game we should advance, i mean we started from a bottom and climbed to the highest peaks trough blood,guts,intrigues,secrets,plots that took as a days to brainstorm......
    And in the end , at least i, do not feel satisfied.
    I mean yes i have powerful organization, yes i speak whit the dukes of Anuire as equal, but any of my solders have a fair chance to cut me in peaces.
    But this is just moaning, and has no point i as GM are much more generous and i like it the players are scions of the divine bloodlines for gods sake they are superior over a common people in power,wealth,culture,and personal strength( nobility from the past had much superior training than a commoners)

Downloads
    Uploads
    I can appreciate your dilema. You and your GM do not share a view of how advancement should work. Any time either one of you don't agree on some aspect of the game that either of you feel is important, you are going to have some problems. Hopefully these are not too great of a problem, just frustrations.

Maybe the next game can be more heroic, or a side game can be run with more rapid advancement. No game will ever be the perfect game, so a certain amount of frustration is inevitable. So it is when ever any group assembles for a common task.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Since in my campaign I use Wounds instead of Hit Points, and Armor Absorbation instead of stupid basic AC my players can get hacked too by their guards, and they are lvl 10-13 now...

^^;
    "If the wizards and students who lived here centuries ago had practiced control - in their spellcasting and in their dealings with the politics of the empire - you would be studying in a tall tower made by the best dwarf stone masons, not in an old military barracks."
    Applied Thaumaturgy Lector of the Royal College of Sorcery to new generation of students.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by ShadowMoon View Post
    Since in my campaign I use Wounds instead of Hit Points, and Armor Absorbation instead of stupid basic AC my players can get hacked too by their guards, and they are lvl 10-13 now...

^^;
    yes that is not a bad idea, but at least your players feel the advance of their characters, cause they 12-13 lvl.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by MatanThunder View Post

2nd Ed Grants full experience value by hit dice to those using class related powers, skills, melee abilities, spell casting, etc.... For use of magic items that mimic class powers related to the PC class the awards are also full.
    Hit dice had no play in the PC's awarding of xp in 2nd ed. All creatures had a set amount of xp and the awards were per spell level, per 5 gp, etc. The only thing I recall having to do with HD was the individual "kill awards".

And those options, while commonly used (we used them), were actually an "optional" award system per the DMG. I'm not certain if there were "awards" listed for using magic items, there were for "creating" them though. And IIRC only the cleric/druids had a restriction on awards for casting spells (they had to be IAW their "ethos" or something like that.

I had major issues with the entire system there because it rewarded individual play instead of "team work" - one of the best improvements made by 3.x. Also every class had its own xp table and thieves advanced so darn fast. They had the quickest advancement table and the most liberal "class awards" in the book. We had several "resentments" over the fact that the character that got the kill got the bulk of the xp even though a different character had in fact dealt almost all of the damage to the opponent. We referred to this as "stealing the kill" and it was a common practice which led to a lot of resentment for non-spell caster types.
    Duane Eggert

Thread Information