Thread: Aebrynis

Downloads
    Uploads

Aebrynis

Discussion thread for Aebrynis. If you would like to add a comment, click the Post Reply button.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I didn't realize that just clicking on the "Discussion" link would automatically post something to the mailing list! That said, since it's happened anyway, I'd like to ask some questions.

One: is there a policy for how to differentiate between multiple, sometimes incompatible ways of describing topics? As a specific example, the page on which I clicked the discussion link contains a detailed backstory about the creation of the world. If I wanted to post a different one to set alongside the existing one, how is it suggested that I do so? I couldn't find this addressed on the Policies page, except insofar as the policies clearly say the entire existing page should be clearly marked as "Speculation".

Two: I'd like to grab one of my old articles about the size and geography of the planet from the archives and stick it in the appropriate place. What is the appropriate place? Do I just guess, and assume that anyone who disagrees will complain, or is there any attempt to be more organized?

Ryan

Downloads
    Uploads
    A most valid question. I have done a fair bit of work detailing other parts of Aebrynis (Aduria in particular)...is this information that should/could be added to the wiki?
    Cheers
    Bjørn
    DM of Ruins of Empire II PbeM

Downloads
    Uploads
    I would generally add an 'AlsoSee link' if I wanted to show an alternate version of someone else's page so that readers of the first page can see my alternative is present and link to it easily. For example I'm planning to put up an alternate version of the Gorgon - I've put a link into his page ready and just need to write up my version...

If the page you are looking at is an observation (or should be) you could make the existing page one chapter on the page (titled 'Anuirean viewpoint' for example) and put your version below it as a second chapter (tiled 'Rjurik viewpoint' for instance) - it depends on how big the page is and how it's laid out.

Generally think about what you'd want someone else to do if they added their view to a page that you've done with a very different slant.

I'd generally do the 'AlsoSee' instead of editing pages that are linked to a username, noted as fanfic, and the like as they are specifically marked as one players stuff - and generally ascribed to an author. Otherwise the 'generic' nature of the page suggests that the writer thinks they are being non-contentious or clarifying a point - sometimes neither is the case.

If you've got a major change in mind you could always start a discussion on the page on br.net, attach your version as a word doc and suggest that the first page is moved to a username page, marked fanfic, etc with yours put in as canon...

Write-ups on Aduria, Djapar and the like will all be creations by gamers, the wiki seems to be the perfect place for them - we can always discuss the various versions and agree an 'approved' version on br.net with the alternatives set as Fanfic. I've put up some of the players secrets for example and need to do the rest at some point - it makes them readily available to everyone.

Thread Information