Questions about chapter 7 : Realm magic

Hello,

Here are my questions :
    1. “Sources” paragraph (p2)
    At the end of this paragraph, the Destroy Source spell is mentioned but I can’t find it in the realm spell descriptions.

2. Scry province spell (p12)
    This spell refer to a scry check. In DD3.5 rules, the “scry” skill has been removed. So how does that work and how can we use the modifiers given in the spell description ?

3. Summon nature’s army spell (p14)
    The description of this spell is incomplete : “A province can muster a number of units equal”
    The end of this sentence is missing…

Thanks for your answers.

I'm still translating BRCS rules in french...

Downloads
    Uploads
    Chap 7 has not been updated yet so the 3.0 mechanics (specifically for scry) still exist in the text.

So too are errors like the destroy source realm spell. There shouldn't be such a realm spell listed. It should require contest actions to destroy a source (or rather to break a regent's connection to a manifestation.)
    Duane Eggert

Downloads
    Uploads
    I think the destroy source spell was for "destroying" a source - rendering it unusable by anyone. Such an act was not actually contesting but would require a source or leyline to the targeted province - Nuking someone elses source would really offend them - and why would you want to make a source unusable - goes against the grain for a wizard. It was also a pretty rare spell.

A source could be destroyed by a bunch of fighters with axes or other mundane tools - if they could only find the "glade/spring/pool/cave" where it is centered and did enough damage - In my understanding of the second ed rules.

Beware the Fighter regent with Meighevahl sense.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Gman View Post
    I think the destroy source spell was for "destroying" a source - rendering it unusable by anyone. Such an act was not actually contesting but would require a source or leyline to the targeted province - Nuking someone elses source would really offend them - and why would you want to make a source unusable - goes against the grain for a wizard. It was also a pretty rare spell.

A source could be destroyed by a bunch of fighters with axes or other mundane tools - if they could only find the "glade/spring/pool/cave" where it is centered and did enough damage - In my understanding of the second ed rules.

Beware the Fighter regent with Meighevahl sense.
    No non-wizard could destroy a source. They could if very lucky or guided by someone who can sense the source find the source manifestation and destroy that (and it would protect itself) - and so temporarily disable the source, but it would rebuild itself over time.
    Michael Romes

Downloads
    Uploads
    As the Level of civilisation increases so a source decreases - I think a source thats been smashed and polluted could take quite a while to come back.

Someone with no magical sense could find a source if they were remarkably perceptive. It may well take them a lot of time scouring the wilds for small oddities and yes the source may protect itself or most probably have been hidden protected by its owner but not undoable in my understanding of The book of magecraft.

Mabey you could build a smithy on top of it or a small mining refinery that should stitch it up for quite some time.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Gman View Post
    As the Level of civilisation increases so a source decreases - I think a source thats been smashed and polluted could take quite a while to come back.
    I think there is a difference in extent here - smashing the manifestation is localised destruction, ruling up the province has destructive impacts (roads, bridges, buildings, fields and hedges, etc) to mebhaighl flow across the entire province.

A province pillaged down a level recovered one source level per spring (assuming the vestiges of the additional civilisation levels were destroyed), so a source manifestation that was damaged should heal at least as quickly and probably faster as the damage was only in one area of the province (albeit the central area from a mebhaighl point of view).

I would suggest however that a manifestation that was destroyed utterly by deliberate physical actions and suppressed for another turn should then be destroyed as a holding, just like another holding contested to zero even though the mebhaighl itself would quickly return it would probably do so via different paths and in a new manifestation.

A lot depends on the ruling on holding inter-action. Some people rule that all holdings: province, law, temple, guild or source can contest the others. Some rule that law can contest law, temple and guild but not source; while temple guild and source holdings can only contest each other. If you need a source holding to contest another source holding then non-wizard regents need some way of contesting the sources and the brute force and ignorance approach of sniffing it out and hacking it apart, while slow, is one.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Hmm... got me wondering. If a source holding is destroyed through any means, does mebhaighl attempt to be released through or get attracted to some other source? It could be increasing the level of a source over the other side of Cerilia. Alternatively it could be profiting another mage's source in the same province or a neighbouring province. Is there any way yet for one source (not necessarily a mage) to permanently steal a level from another source?

Sorontar

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mebhaighl diverted?

Only the elves know the true answer to that question, I suppose.

And they hate us for it.

On 7/10/07, Sorontar <brnetboard@birthright.net> wrote:
    >
    > This post was generated by the Birthright.net message forum.
    > You can view the entire thread at:
    > http://www.birthright.net/forums/showthread.php?goto=newpost&t=3768
    >
    > Sorontar wrote:
    > Hmm... got me wondering. If a source holding is destroyed through any
    > means, does mebhaighl attempt to be released through or get attracted to
    > some other source? It could be increasing the level of a source over the
    > other side of Cerilia. Alternatively it could be profiting another mage`s
    > source in the same province or a neighbouring province. Is there any way yet
    > for one source (not necessarily a mage) to permanently steal a level from
    > another source?
    >
    >
    >
    > Sorontar
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > Birthright-l Archives:
    > http://oracle.wizards.com/archives/birthright-l.html
    >
    >
    >

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Sorontar View Post
    Is there any way yet for one source (not necessarily a mage) to permanently steal a level from another source?

Sorontar

No.

In the same manner that it is not possible for a law regent to "steal" another law regent's holdings.

The process is handled the same - contest and build actions or via a ceremony action (where the holding itself is transferred).

These actions reflect the "personal" nature of a holding (regardless of type). All holdings are tied into a specific regent on a personal level. Either by influence with the polulation (law, guild, temple or province itself) or via a personnel connection to the land itself (source).

Holdings are not supposed to be merely "buildings" and physical constructions but a more personal and "magical" tie by this connection - which is why only blooded individuals can fully benefit from them. They alone have the spark of divinity necessary to separate them from the "common folk".
    Duane Eggert

Thread Information